Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Best Non-Jeni's Ice Cream

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Best Non-Jeni's Ice Cream

Viewing 8 posts - 61 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Author

columbusfoodie
    Participant

I’m pretty partial to Handel’s, myself. And Mardi Gras was pretty good the past few times I’ve had it, although their hours have been somewhat erratic when we up in Dublin running errands and tried to go. I love Jeni’s, and have yet to try Vienna Ice Cafe. Oh, there’s really nice matcha (green tea) soft serve at Belle’s in Kenny Centre.

As far as the tart yogurt options go, I’m firmly in Yagoot territory – the other few I tried (Menchie’s, and the yogurt place near Market District) just haven’t done it for me, and ended up costing more than a fully loaded Yagoot cup.

And for middle of the night cravings when I don’t have a pint or two of Jeni’s stashed away? I am a fan of some of the UDF pints (which they have on sale 4/$5 regularly), but that could be because I used to work there back in the day and had a soft spot for Peanut Butter & Chip ice cream drowned in peanut butter sauce.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Just spotted this on Vienna Ice Cafe’s facebook page… drooling…

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

That is a work of art, I’d almost hate to eat it.
    Almost.

News
    Participant

Dish DeathMatch: Jeni’s vs Johnson’s
    By: Miriam Bowers Abbott
    Published on April 12, 2013 8:00 am

Take two beloved ice cream makers with fervent, borderline psychotic fans, and pit them against each other in a Dish DeathMatch: horrible idea.

So let the fight begin.

Consider Johnson‘s and Jeni’s, both locally-owned, both locally loved. In the ring are each maker’s respective version of vanilla. It’s the plainest, purest testing flavor on the market. For Jeni’s that means Ugandan Vanilla Bean. For Johnson’s, that means Triple Vanilla Bean.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/dish-deathmatch-jen-vs-john-ma1

buckette13

It ain’t Jeni’s but soft serve is soft serve and I just saw that Burger King is selling their cones for 50 cents this summer. Perfect cool cheap summer treat for the kiddos. Lots of childhood memories of piling into the station wagon for some soft serve.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

One slight non-jeni’s concession i’ll make is their peanut butter offering is fairly well beat by so many others, especially hagen daz.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I picked up some Salty Caramel Nutty Blonde from Johnson’s at the Brewery District Kroger (pints are on sale for $5 each) and it’s pretty awesome.

https://www.columbusunderground.com/the-buzz-4-ice-cream-flavors-5-local-companies

Good stuff!

patient_zero
    Participant

Via email from Graeter’s: Thank you for allowing us to handcraft irresistible ice cream for 144 years. Celebrate with us on National Ice Cream Day Sunday, July 20th at your neighborhood store with $1.44 single dip sugar cones!

Viewing 8 posts - 61 through 68 (of 68 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: