Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Best Non-Jeni's Ice Cream

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Best Non-Jeni's Ice Cream

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 68 total)
  • Author

desecration
    Participant

My favorite ice cream shop is Graeter’s. Their strawberry sorbet is deeeeeelicious! I also like Marble Slab but do not get up to the mall much to stop by there.

Never heard of Clown Cone but after reading above and looking through all of the Flickr pictures, I’m intrigued to check it out sometime.

patient_zero
    Participant

desecration said:
    Never heard of Clown Cone but after reading above and looking through all of the Flickr pictures, I’m intrigued to check it out sometime.

Great to hear you say this! You can find anything from oxtails to tacos to falafel up and down Cleveland Avenue on your journey, so come hungry.

I saw an advertisement for a Sonic Pumpkin Pie shake that’s driving me batty right now. Pumpkin flavored food and beverages makes me weak in the knees.

Anidem
    Participant

I still like Baskin Robbins (jamoca almond fudge and peanut butter and chocolate), even though it’s a national chain. Velvet’s good, too. Unless someone mentions GD Ritzy’s again- still miss that.

Love Jeni’s, though, got an ice cream maker, her recipe book, and have made the lemon and blueberries and strawberry buttermilk with fantastic results.

ohiogirlie74

Never heard of Clown Cone either, but, I can’t unsee what I saw there. If someone could blindfold me and take me there, surely it would be awesome. I like his ideas, though, and I hope he succeeds. Yay for whimsy and old-timey awesomeness! (But the clowns all need to die in hot burning fire.)

Velvet is the best bring-home Ice Cream, I think. Loved them even before I knew they were Ohio-made, what a bonus!! I like that they host tours and have a festival weekend, and allow people to invent flavors for them. Sounds like a great company.

joev
    Participant

Looks like someone found clown pants.

desecration
    Participant

joev said:
    Looks like someone found clown pants.

clown shoes > clown pants
    :)

There seems to be a phobia of clowns for a fair amount of people. Sadly that probably restricts his customer base a bit.

Go Clowns! heh

groundrules
    Participant

I would say that for take home, on par with Velvet is the UDF brand. I’m sure the elite will put their nose up at the thought of buying ice cream at a gas station, but that shit is good. And the D is for dairy, after all.

joev
    Participant

UDF Peach is EXCELLENT.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

desecration said:
    There seems to be a phobia of clowns for a fair amount of people. Sadly that probably restricts his customer base a bit.

Still… he probably has a better customer base than Spider Ice Cream or Small Enclosed Spaces Frozen Yogurt. ;)

Anidem
    Participant

I didn’t know about this Clown ice cream place but I’ll have to visit now since I’m partial to “themes”, ha! I like Velvet and it does look cool.

Twixlen
    Participant

The UDF/Homemade Pumpkin Pie is among the best ice creams on the face of the earth. It has PIE CRUST in it. PIE CRUST! In fact, it’s about that season, so I need to start stalking them.

I really love Toft’s ice cream. The only place I’ve seen it is The Andersons, and they do sell some flavors in their cafe. They have some great, old school flavors (pistachio, coconut cream pie, etc) and I love the texture of the cream.

For instant gratification, Dairy Queen’s Nutter Butter Blizzard brought measurable delight a couple weeks ago.

What can I say? I’m a dairy whore.

groundrules
    Participant

Twixlen said:

For instant gratification, Dairy Queen’s Nutter Butter Blizzard brought measurable delight a couple weeks ago.

What can I say? I’m a dairy whore.

don’t feel one goddamn ounce of shame over loving dairy queen.

when we stop loving dairy queen, the terrorists have won.

joev
    Participant

About 1/3 of the time, Dairy Queen ice cream tastes like rat poison. The other 2/3, it’s fine.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Anidem said:
    I didn’t know about this Clown ice cream place but I’ll have to visit now since I’m partial to “themes”, ha! I like Velvet and it does look cool.

Have you ever been out to Ye Olde Mill? ;)

http://www.velveticecream.com/mill/ye_olde_mill.asp

Twixlen
    Participant

joev said:
    About 1/3 of the time, Dairy Queen ice cream tastes like rat poison. The other 2/3, it’s fine.

Hmmm. I’ve never experienced this. Did you do something to piss off a DQ employee?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 68 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION