Our City Online

Messageboard - Nightlife

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Best martini in C-bus?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Nightlife Best martini in C-bus?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 81 total)
  • Author

Fsonicsmith
    Participant

A Huge part of a proper martini is atmosphere — after all, the drink you described is basically cold gin. I am also a devotee to the classic martini, and drink them all over town. I would suggest you sadly smash that cold clear cone and embrace cognac for the winter, because the gin martini is at its best in the Spring, and with a twist of lemon peel, rather than the olive and vermouth salad libation. If you insist on slugging back one of the savory type, I would say that, pound for pound, the folks at Eleven do a fine job, atmosphere included…except it is often more crowded than I want it to be. I used to really enjoy good gin martinis at the Round Bar on South High, but after extensive remodeling they seem to be gone for good…heartbreaking, really. Marshall’s in Grandview has a bartender, short, shaved head, great performer, who although not a martini drinker, poured me three brilliant martinis not too long ago. The trick really is getting the right amount of water in the gin, and making it crazy cold…and the first one should be Big, and the others smaller, and ginnier…damn, I’m a nerd. I am sorry about all of that. I miss summer already, I guess.

Extremely well-written David. I hope you write either for a living or as a hobby. An ode to the martini if ever one was written. For me, though, martinis transcend the environment and season. They are a salute to my much beloved and much missed grandparents who were Long Island Suburbans cum Brooklyn apartment-dwellers and perfect examples of the mass-assimilation of Jewish culture into Anglican during the 50’s/post WWII. Beehive hairdo on grandma, immaculately groomed and dressed, V-neck sweater and slacks on grandpa with too much Hai Karate aftershave, grandpa proud of his new Chevy sedan acquired every three years, always waxed and maintained like new, and the highlight of every day was a nice meal around the table preceeded by….How they loved their martinis. So when I sit back and enjoy a well-made martini, I think of my grandparents, 12 months out of the year and regardless of crowd or surroundings.

lisathewaitress
    Participant

Mercurius wrote >>

lifeontwowheels wrote >>
    This is probably one of those cocktails I need to try sometime.

I believe Chris is a Master Sommelier, one of only 75 in America.

He’s currently studying for his MS exam, just to clarify. Hopefully sometime in the spring he’ll be an MS!

At any rate, just wanted to point out that Sage has martini happy hour for the whole restaurant, not just the bar, and that all martinis are $5, not just a certain list. and the food is yummy too.

FSonicSmith wrote >>

A Huge part of a proper martini is atmosphere — after all, the drink you described is basically cold gin. I am also a devotee to the classic martini, and drink them all over town. I would suggest you sadly smash that cold clear cone and embrace cognac for the winter, because the gin martini is at its best in the Spring, and with a twist of lemon peel, rather than the olive and vermouth salad libation. If you insist on slugging back one of the savory type, I would say that, pound for pound, the folks at Eleven do a fine job, atmosphere included…except it is often more crowded than I want it to be. I used to really enjoy good gin martinis at the Round Bar on South High, but after extensive remodeling they seem to be gone for good…heartbreaking, really. Marshall’s in Grandview has a bartender, short, shaved head, great performer, who although not a martini drinker, poured me three brilliant martinis not too long ago. The trick really is getting the right amount of water in the gin, and making it crazy cold…and the first one should be Big, and the others smaller, and ginnier…damn, I’m a nerd. I am sorry about all of that. I miss summer already, I guess.

Extremely well-written David. I hope you write either for a living or as a hobby. An ode to the martini if ever one was written. For me, though, martinis transcend the environment and season. They are a salute to my much beloved and much missed grandparents who were Long Island Suburbans cum Brooklyn apartment-dwellers and perfect examples of the mass-assimilation of Jewish culture into Anglican during the 50’s/post WWII. Beehive hairdo on grandma, immaculately groomed and dressed, V-neck sweater and slacks on grandpa with too much Hai Karate aftershave, grandpa proud of his new Chevy sedan acquired every three years, always waxed and maintained like new, and the highlight of every day was a nice meal around the table preceeded by….How they loved their martinis. So when I sit back and enjoy a well-made martini, I think of my grandparents, 12 months out of the year and regardless of crowd or surroundings.

Aha. I have a few nostalgia drinks of my own, but I absolutely love the tie-in with your family and you painted a great picture of your grandparents there; I hope my own descendants remember my recreational drinking so warmly. “Geez, Grandpa, I know you wanted that lemon peel a quarter of an inch wide, but I’m only four years old. Why don’t you have Mom fix your drink?, you snotty old turd?” I wish you much luck in your search; I wish only the venerable Round Bar was still around for you. Perhaps the Clarmont? Awesome restaurant, awesome food and Very classic vibe.

@Bear
    — Yes, the Vesper. I love Bond, but I think vodka is for curing a cold, and a gin martini should Not be shaken, in my opinion…having tried it both ways, back to back, my preference is definitely for the smoother and ice-free stirred cocktail.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Cookie wrote >>

Mercurius wrote >>
    Sage has Chris Dillman mixing currently. It wasn’t traditional, but I had a tomato and basil martini that was pretty refreshing there. I’m sure Chris would be happy to mix you up one however you like.

I pass the sign for their martini happy hours on my way home from work, but have never stopped in. If anyone wants to join me there, let me know.

I could be down for this next week. Especially when Mr. Dillman is on the other side of the bar.

catnfiddle
    Participant

michaelcoyote wrote >>

Cookie wrote >>

Mercurius wrote >>
    Sage has Chris Dillman mixing currently. It wasn’t traditional, but I had a tomato and basil martini that was pretty refreshing there. I’m sure Chris would be happy to mix you up one however you like.

I pass the sign for their martini happy hours on my way home from work, but have never stopped in. If anyone wants to join me there, let me know.

I could be down for this next week. Especially when Mr. Dillman is on the other side of the bar.

Count me in! Hanging out with Cookie and Coyote at once would be dreamy, plus I’ll probably need a drink after a week of proctoring OGTs.

Cookie

catnfiddle wrote >>
    Count me in! Hanging out with Cookie and Coyote at once would be dreamy, plus I’ll probably need a drink after a week of proctoring OGTs.

Yes, let’s do this.

Bear
    Participant

David S Lewis wrote >>

@Bear
    — Yes, the Vesper. I love Bond, but I think vodka is for curing a cold, and a gin martini should Not be shaken, in my opinion…having tried it both ways, back to back, my preference is definitely for the smoother and ice-free stirred cocktail.

David, I’m actually with you — I stir mine to get the silky texture but am otherwise faithful to the original recipe. Vodka alone, I’d agree, not a fan; but at 3:1 with the gin, the right vodka has a nice way of making the gin just a little more subtle. (Whether or not the martini benefits from it depends on the gin, imo; Plymouth doesn’t need any smoothing at all, really, and I just tried a bottle of Bluecoat, which has a great structure that shouldn’t be tinkered with.)

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

michaelcoyote wrote >>

Cookie wrote >>

Mercurius wrote >>

I could be in. Would be nice to see what exists beyond the brown liquors.

Cookie

lifeontwowheels wrote >>

I finally get that CU meetup at Sage that I always wanted! They’re closed on Mondays, but any other day next week should work for me.

catnfiddle
    Participant

Cookie wrote >>

lifeontwowheels wrote >>

I finally get that CU meetup at Sage that I always wanted! They’re closed on Mondays, but any other day next week should work for me.

Friday is out for me.

Bear wrote >>

David S Lewis wrote >>

@Bear

David, I’m actually with you — I stir mine to get the silky texture but am otherwise faithful to the original recipe. Vodka alone, I’d agree, not a fan; but at 3:1 with the gin, the right vodka has a nice way of making the gin just a little more subtle. (Whether or not the martini benefits from it depends on the gin, imo; Plymouth doesn’t need any smoothing at all, really, and I just tried a bottle of Bluecoat, which has a great structure that shouldn’t be tinkered with.)

Huh. Vodka and gin, together? Would you do this with one of the shrubbier gins, like Tanq, or one of the more jarring dry gins? I haven’t tried this, always relying on the proportion of the water to bring out the gin’s character…damn. Maybe with Bombay? I typically don’t drink martinis after summer, but I might have to make an exception, try something new. I am open to the notion.

Bear
    Participant

Bombay, sure; Beefeater… there are worse projects!

I have to admit, though, I am far from a purist. One of my favorite cocktails is a Pink Gin, made with Plymouth and 2 dashes of Angostura bitters per ounce of gin — nobody’s idea of a traditional martini! So I should probably start a Perverted Gin Cocktails thread and leave this one be.

Bear wrote >>
    Bombay, sure; Beefeater… there are worse projects!
    I have to admit, though, I am far from a purist. One of my favorite cocktails is a Pink Gin, made with Plymouth and 2 dashes of Angostura bitters per ounce of gin — nobody’s idea of a traditional martini! So I should probably start a Perverted Gin Cocktails thread and leave this one be.

I mean, as long as it is gin based, I don’t think you can wander too far astray. The original martini was actually nearly half sweet vermouth and certainly contained a liberal amount of bitters, a far cry from I would describe as a “classic” martini. (By the way, I have made the original “Martinez” and it tastes like Crap.)

HeySquare
    Participant

Cookie wrote >>

Mercurius wrote >>

I’m in. Someone pick a date.

Wednesday?

michaelcoyote
    Participant

HeySquare wrote >>

Cookie wrote >>

Mercurius wrote >>

I’m in. Someone pick a date.
    Wednesday?

Sounds good to me.. Would also accept Thursday..

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 81 total)

The forum ‘Nightlife’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: