Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Best Kid-Friendly Restaurants Downtown?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Best Kid-Friendly Restaurants Downtown?

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    spfld_expat
    spfld_expat
    Participant

I think it depends on the kid and how many will be at the party. Mongolian barbecue is a great suggestion. I used to be a sucker for Japanese steak as a kid, but the novelty of those places has worn off since the 80s. A little further afield, Melt and Dirty Frank’s would be awesome for kids.

Also, I know it’s not hipster-approved, but kids straight up love Spaghetti warehouse.

derm
    derm
    Participant

While it is not downtown, the Figlio in Grandview is excellent for kids. Serves pizza and noodles in their base forms and has a big white paper table cloth that kids can draw all over while they wait. Took our kids many times when they were wee. Can seat a big crowd and has a good adult menu.

buckeye54
    Participant

I have to second spaghetti warehouse. My 3 year old loves that place.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Does Superchefs still have a location downtown?

They closed for awhile for renovations, but reopened a few weeks ago:

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Not so subtle urban liberal post.

I forgot…. local businesses are for liberals and chains are for republicans. ;)

ryan883
    Participant

What world are you living in? Hubbard Grill for a 5 year old’s birthday?? Get real.

patient_zero
    Participant

A few more suggestions along with the others. Barley’s Brewing Company is right there and has a $5 kid’s menu, and can pull some tables together in the back. Mildred’s sauerkraut balls and great ales for the adults.

A quick scenic walk into the Arena District from the Convention Center there’s Gordon Biersch. No kid’s menu, but a lot of fun small plate options and garlic fries. Respectable beers for the adults. They have a lot of space in the back to accommodate a large party.

If a lot of seating is needed, Melt Bar in the Short North is very spacious and has a sweet kid’s menu. I’d love it if I were five. Greasy fries and grilled cheese for them.

Also spacious and in the Short North is Pies and Pints. They could easily pull some tables together and give them a nice party. No kid’s menu, but a lots of sharing options with pizza and wings. Excellent Draft selection for the adults.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

I forgot…. local businesses are for liberals and chains are for republicans. ;)

You’ll have to pry my unlimited Olive Garden pasta bowl from my cold dead hands!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

You’ll have to pry my unlimited Olive Garden pasta bowl from my cold dead hands!

Honestly, I see myself as more of a political independent, which means I favor Ohio-based shops (not just Columbus) that have more than one location, but no more than 10 locations (pseudo-chains) as well as locally-operated regional franchises.

Gives new definition to the term “picky eater”. ;)

OneBagTravel
    Participant

Yeah I’m all for that kinda jazz and supporting locals. but if i’m dealing with a kids birthday party i’d value ease and comfort over locally sourced farm to table free range mom and pop off the grid granola co-op ;)

RedStorm
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>OneBagTravel wrote:</div>

Honestly, I see myself as more of a political independent, which means I favor Ohio-based shops (not just Columbus) that have more than one location, but no more than 10 locations (pseudo-chains) as well as locally-operated regional franchises.

Gives new definition to the term “picky eater”. ;)

So Piada fell into your ideal range for a couple years, but now is too big? (if you ate there at all, of course)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Yeah I’m all for that kinda jazz and supporting locals. but if i’m dealing with a kids birthday party i’d value ease and comfort over locally sourced farm to table free range mom and pop off the grid granola co-op ;)

Well, my point was that you can find ease and comfort in local establishments just as much as you can in chains.

While it’s certainly hilarious to make fun of local restaurants as some kooky extreme weird thing… most of them are pretty normal places with good food. You’d be surprised what most kids enjoy eating when they’re not restricted to a nugget-only diet.

So Piada fell into your ideal range for a couple years, but now is too big? (if you ate there at all, of course)

Heh. The Piada seasonal Farmers Market salad trumps all other rules and regulations. ;)

Gus W
    Gus W
    Participant

While I’m sure the kid’s would probably love the food at Dirty Franky’s, it could be a pain in the ass getting a table depending on how many you have and what time you go. Melt would probably be a good bet if you go at more of an off time.

The problem is a lot of those Short North restaurants are so busy on the weekends, and depending on how many kids you have and what time you go, it could be a bit of a wait.

With that said, you can build your own tacos at Condado! That could be pretty fun, and they have fun swivel seats and artwork and all that jazz.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.