Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Best Internet Provider

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Best Internet Provider

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

RDH13

I’m checking to see which is the best reasonable Internet provider in the German Village area? Possibly tv bundle too but wireless Internet is more important. I called WOW so far and they aren’t bad but thought maybe others could enlighten me on their experiences with their Internet/cable provider. Thanks

Mister Shifter
    Participant

I ditched Time Warner and went with AT&T U-Verse about 5 years ago and have never looked back.

Graybeak
    Participant

I do wish U-verse was available in my sad area. But it is not.

Patch
    Participant

I use AT&T DSL, $19.99/month.

Its fine for Netfix/downloading music/streaming TV shows.

If you “game” you would probably want something faster.

RDH13

Well no gaming on a PC or laptop but I do have Xbox live which I game sometimes and we use for streaming movies and shows a lot. I’ve heard not to do Time Warner from others too. I like that WOW isn’t a contract but then again I don’t plan on moving at least for a year so a12 month contract isn’t the worst thing.

pilsner
    Participant

I use ConnectedNation. It’s kinda slow but only $10/month. You have to qualify by claiming you have a kid in school or whatever (I actually do).

http://www.connectednation.org/low-cost-broadband

pilsner
    Participant

Don’t use ConnectedNation if you stream movies. It’s good for email, surfing the web, etc.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

My experiences:

AT&T:
    after a very rude sales rep showed up at my door at a bad time and would not be politely turned away I told him in no uncertain terms he needed to leave. At that point he actually moved a dog turd out of my yard and placed it on my porch. What a fucking asshole. I’m never going to give AT&T a penny because of this. No, I don’t own a dog I have no idea where that came from.

Time warner:
    I was a WOW customer and time warner offered me a deal so I switched to TW. I was paying a reasonable price for 8 mb/s service. However, time warner was never able to deliver 8mb/s to any network beyond their own ‘speed test’ site. OS updates and other essential traffic typically ran 5-6mb/s. I know throughput to remote sites is a complex issue so…ok… however, these same sites were immediately able to deliver 16mb/s when I switched back to WoW. Also, there were many outages. The cable between my house and pole was replaced 3 times in a year to attempt to fix the reliability issue and it never quite fixed it. Since my wife telecommutes reliability was a MAJOR deal-breaker.

WoW:
    I pay a reasonable price for 15mb/s down 2 mb/s up through wow. In real world conditions (not ‘speed test sites’) I see 16mb/s down and 2mb/s up. I have absolutely no reliability issues anymore (same house wiring that time warner rep said was probably ‘bad’ is working perfectly with WoW, go fig).

Keep in mind, I’m in the Grandview/5xNW area and these networks perform slightly differently depending on the neighborhood.

With both TW or WOW I recommend using a good quality modem/router and not the cheap crap they give you. I don’t know anything about what AT&T supplies, nor do I care to find out.

Twixlen
    Participant

I had TW for years, had to have them bring out a new modem about every year, as the ones they use are such pieces of crap. I used to play the game every year with them, regarding them raising the price of service – call, threaten to switch, they’d give me a new price. The service was ok – it seemed to go out pretty regularly (I live in Westgate), and I never felt like the internet was as fast as what I was paying for. Then one year, the game didn’t work – they refused to lower the price (and it went from something like $75/mo to $135/mo), and I ditched them on the spot.

I then went to WOW – I really hated their DVR system, but the service was solid, and it was well priced.

Then Uverse came to my neighborhood. I got the $200 rebate, and gave them more than a year to get their act together. The service went down constantly, I had techs out to the house a number of different times, trying to get it working properly, and it just never happened. I loved their DVR system, but if you aren’t getting service, hat doesn’t mean a lot. At one point, I was resetting the modem every day, just as a matter of routine, in order for my (purchased myself) wifi router to recognize the system was there, and to have the TV work. I finally gave up and went back to WoW. (Just had AT&T reps door knocking in the neighborhood a couple weeks ago to let us all know that they’d significantly upgraded service in the area. No thanks)

Also – AT&T was $$$.

I’ve had WoW now for a couple years. I stream internet directly to my TV, and also have a wireless router (that I purchased myself – as said above, never go with the one they give you). It’s been offline maybe once? I honestly can’t remember the last time it was out. I also have the upgraded internet, but do the non-DVR cable (it’s one step up from basic, I think). I’ve only had to reset the router one time in recent memory – and that was months ago. It’s solid service, and, the rare time that you need to call, it’s been relatively easy to get a human on the phone.

RDH13

Thanks everyone for your feedback. It’s been very helpful.

melikecheese
    Participant

ATT seems spotty, problems with putting in a new network I guess, maybe talk to those who live close to you. I have had ATT a little south of where you are since it arrived, never had one problem with the service (we did have a DVR die, it happens, replaced very fast). On the flip side a good friend has had them out every 6 months because something is up with the lines to their house and the box it connects to.

I have used all of them, the interface (not that it is that important to your internet) for ATT seems way better then any others, but I know WOW just put out a new product that looks pretty slick, it was not cheaper then ATT so we didn’t switch.

Good luck!

Patch
    Participant

Rockmastermike said:
    WoW:
    I pay a reasonable price for 15mb/s down 2 mb/s up through wow. In real world conditions (not ‘speed test sites’) I see 16mb/s down and 2mb/s up. I have absolutely no reliability issues anymore (same house wiring that time warner rep said was probably ‘bad’ is working perfectly with WoW, go fig).

What is a reasonable price, if you don’t mind me asking.

pez
    Participant

Patch said:

Here’s my WOW breakdown, the Internet is bundled in:
    WOW Digital Signature (Digital Signature [?], Basic Cable, 15/1M Internet) – $105
    $15 discount -$15

Cable Modem – $5
    HD Receiver – $7
    HD DVR Receiver – $13
    Broadcast TV Surcharge – $4

Taxes, etc- $5.03

Total per month – $124

Planning to switch from their DVR and receivers to a TiVo Premier and a couple TiVo Minis when they go on sale. Monthy fees for the TiVo’s will be the same, but with much more storage and all the TiVo features it’s worth the outlay to buy the devices IMO.

Graybeak
    Participant

Oh. I do long for the advent of a la carte television choices. To not have to get an extra 305 channels for the 5 i really want.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Patch said:

$91 with tv and taxes included. I dont pay rentals for a dvr or modem or HD receiver (I own my own). It *was* 85, but they just tacked on more tv fees, so i’m considering just canceling the tv portion

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION