Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Best Columbus Restaurants for Vegetarians?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Best Columbus Restaurants for Vegetarians?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

gramarye
    Participant

So there’s a certain someone in my life who has not yet discovered the natural order of omnivorism and insists on eating rabbit food everywhere we go. As an incurable optimist, I keep hope alive that she’ll see the light of pan-seared scallops and rare prime rib at some point, but in the meantime …

Where are the best Columbus restaurants to take a vegetarian (and someone who isn’t too familiar with the city generally, since we’re also planning something of a Columbus discovery tour for her, not just culinary experiences, though that’s obviously going to be a key part of the experience)? Note that they don’t need to be all-vegetarian restaurants (though they can be), but I do need places that have more than just 2-3 token vegetarian options on the menu in addition to salads.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Mazah and Aladins on Grandview ave come to mind. AAB there as well if Indian is OK.

At least my vegetarian friends like all three.

DouginCMH
    Participant

Northstar?

NerosNeptune
    Participant

Love Mazah, Alladin, Aab as suggested above. Most Chinese places around town have plenty for vegetarians, so any good Chinese restaurant will almost certainly also be a good vegetarian restaurant. Moys on campus has some of my favorite tofu.

Banana Leaf is great for a little different style of Indian (southern), Dosa Corner as well. Loving Hut out in Reynoldsburg is all vegan and really good. Explorer’s Club is great and always has plenty to chose from. Dirty Franks can make most all of their hot dogs vegetarian or vegan. Hal and Al’s gets a lot of love from what I’ve seen, though to be honest I didn’t like what I got there and felt like I made the same thing easily at home.

These are just a few of my personal favorites.. there are plenty more, and most any place in town will have at least a couple options like you said.

Once place I’ve been meaning to try is Whole World, or something similar to that.. whoever has the broccoli burger stand at Comfest? I got a vegan gyro there this year and thought it was great (though admittedly that was after a few beers clouding my judgement).

rus
    rus
    Participant

Dosa Corner

Forgot about that place. Good stuff.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Most places have salads.

drew
    Participant

In addition to the above, there’s Udipi Cafe on 161 (all vegetarian, delicious even to carnivores, and some of my favorite Indian food locally), and Till in Victorian Village (not strictly vegetarian, but caters to them very well). Portia’s isn’t bad, but in addition to being veg it’s also raw food… so kinda odd if you’re not sure of what you’re getting yourself into. Jobu Ramen has a veggie ramen option and veggie apps.

Hal and Al’s is closed, I believe.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Most places have salads.

Sounds like he’s trying to put her in a better mood than a bowl of lawn clippings soaked in liquid fat wound engender.

drew
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Snarf wrote:</div>
    Most places have salads.

Sounds like he’s trying to put her in a better mood than a bowl of lawn clippings soaked in liquid fat wound engender.

Totally. Liquid fat wounds were probably what drove her to vegetarianism in the first place!
    :-p

tolemac5050
    Participant

Till or Portias cafe

rus
    rus
    Participant

Totally. Liquid fat wounds were probably what drove her to vegetarianism in the first place!

Heh. Ranch dressing makes salads edible. Barely. Some bacon on there and we’re getting closer to actual food.

Or just skip all that nonsense and go right to real food: meat.

But that’s not what Gram is looking for. He know’s all that already. Instead, he’s looking to be charitable to who I presume is Herself.

Been there.

ETA: Forgot the ;) . Above read best with tongue firmly in cheek and with the understanding it’s a committed carnivore writing.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Heh. Ranch dressing makes salads edible. Barely. Some bacon on there and we’re getting closer to actual food.

As they say on some of the BBQ boards: “Vegetables ain’t food, vegetables are what food eats.”

Not that I agree with that; I like the Asian tradition of meat/protein being about 25% of a meal with the rest being vegetables and/or starch.

chaking
    Participant

The original… whole world bakery in clintonville right on high. Classic (been around forever). Used to have something called the Sage Burger – delicious no matter what type of food you enjoy most. And their salads are something I still crave.

And as far as vegetarians go, it might not taste as good, but it’s certainly much more sustainable environmentally:
    http://shrinkthatfootprint.com/food-carbon-footprint-diet

rus
    rus
    Participant

As they say on some of the BBQ boards: “Vegetables ain’t food, vegetables are what food eats.”

Not that I agree with that; I like the Asian tradition of meat/protein being about 25% of a meal with the rest being vegetables and/or starch.

I’m mostly having a laugh with that last bit; someone wants to be vegetarian, cool. More meat for me. I don’t expect them to start eating meat, but they also shouldn’t expect me to stop.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

It seems that more often than not, any new-ish local/independent restaurant has at least a handful of thoughtful vegetarian/vegan options on the menu that go beyond the salad list. Actually, quite a few chains do too.

Gram, I’d say pick any new place you want to try out and check the menu online for vegetarian options and you’re likely to find something good.

For example, Anne and I had a pretty awesome dinner recently at The Sycamore. I had the open-faced poutine-style beef cheek sandwich, and she had the quinoa & chickpea burger (vegetarian) with added avocado. Pretty solid food all around and a cool new spot in German Village worth trying out:

http://thesycamoregv.com/menu/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: