Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Best Columbus restaurant

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Best Columbus restaurant

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 147 total)
  • Author
    vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

TaraK wrote >>

osulew wrote >>

jmak wrote >>
    For Mexican, I don’t think you can beat El Vaquero. I’ve never been disappointed. Plus, they have the best margaritas in Columbus. Mmmmm Margaritas … is it too early?

Aside from one or two menu items, I think El Vaq is super “meh”
    There are at least a dozen taco trucks in town that smoke El Vaquero. And La Michocana on Morse Rd will make El Vaquero feel like eating Taco Bell from then on out. You’ll be ruined forever. You gotta take a trip over there ASAP if you like Mexican. So so so good. Swearsies. And try at least one lengua taco…I haven’t found anyone in town that makes lengua that good.
    And it’s never too early for margaritas. Lime juice is vitamin C right…it’s practically the same as taking a vitamin in the morning. ;)
    El Vaquero does have some seriously lethal ‘ritas. ow.

Okay, is there a sit-down Mexican place that serves the same food as the taco trucks? That would be amazing, but I haven’t found one.

There is one right behind the budwiser plant. I think it might just be called “Tacos”

DavidF
    Participant

LeePaul wrote >>
    That is really a good deal!
    Will definitely give it a try.
    For a Japanese steak house I like Genji’s.

I have to say, I’ve heard several people say that (including most of my family) and I have never liked the place. I think the food is so so and the atmosphere is horrible. Maybe I’m just old school, but I’ve liked the Japanese Steak House since the early ’80s, when it was located down by Grant Hospital. (that’s right kids, I’m old.) I even took a prom date there. (btw: cream colored tuxedos and trying to impress your date with your chop stick proficiency? Not recommended)
    I’ve also had decent meals at Fujiyama.
    I’ve been in Genji at least a dozen times and have yet to have a meal I enjoyed. However, as we all know, individual taste is incredibly variable, and given the crowds that place packs in, I wouldn’t want to discourage someone from giving it a try.

lifeliberty
    Participant

vestanpance wrote >>

There is one right behind the budwiser plant. I think it might just be called “Tacos”

is this what you are talking about? http://www.columbusunderground.com/forums/topic/taco-al-pastor-in-worthington

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

lifeliberty wrote >>

vestanpance wrote >>

is this what you are talking about? http://www.columbusunderground.com/forums/topic/taco-al-pastor-in-worthington

hah yes it is. I didn’t put the two together.

patient_zero
    Participant

@TaraK – Taco truck quality in a dining setting can be found at La Michocana, as osulew has suggested. The Morse Road location is kind of nice with the swinging doors and the authentically dressed servers.

2175 Morse Rd
    Columbus, OH 43229
    (614) 471-4500

I prefer the Woolworth’s diner-type setting on 161. While there you can dine on favorites like Bomba sandwiches and tongue tacos.

939 E Dublin Granville Rd, Columbus, OH 43229
    (614) 436-5900

PoMoGalaxy

Wow – C Bus is lucky to have loads of great restaurants.

For a vegetarian Indian extravaganza, gotta give it up for Banana Leaf 816 Bethel.

Just thinking about the yogurt Lassis and street-food style Chaats are making my mouth water. Ambience a’la Grey Hound Bus Station and the strip mall setting is odd but the food quality and preparation transport my taste-buds to a small Indian cafe’ near Bombay.

Highly reccomended. http://www.bananaleafofcolumbus.com

LeePaul

What I really appreciate from this thread is the bargain hunters, as I’m one of those, of many, who has curtailed discretionary spending radically. But, I am also curious if there is a restaurant that serves a wild game dinner? (that wouldn’t be cheap though, I know).

catnfiddle
    Participant

LeePaul wrote >>
    What I really appreciate from this thread is the bargain hunters, as I’m one of those, of many, who has curtailed discretionary spending radically. But, I am also curious if there is a restaurant that serves a wild game dinner? (that wouldn’t be cheap though, I know).

Honestly, your best bet that for that would be to go to North Market Poultry and Wild Game. They have a lot of prepared meals with bison and the like (the Polish cook there is amazing). You can also get the ingredients from there to do some meals of your own.

patient_zero
    Participant

LeePaul wrote >> I am also curious if there is a restaurant that serves a wild game dinner? (that wouldn’t be cheap though, I know).

Ted’s Montana Grill in The Arena District serves bison steaks and burgers. Ive never been there, but pass by it on my way to the flicks.

http://www.tedsmontanagrill.com/menu.html

LeePaul

catnfiddle wrote >>

LeePaul wrote >>

Honestly, your best bet that for that would be to go to North Market Poultry and Wild Game. They have a lot of prepared meals with bison and the like (the Polish cook there is amazing). You can also get the ingredients from there to do some meals of your own.

Wonderful!
    It is a great way to introduce someone to wild game, because if it is not prepared and cooked properly it can be extremely gamy. Or gamey! Gamy and Gamey are both exceptable according to Webster grammar cop!

joev
    Participant

LeePaul wrote >> It is a great way to introduce someone to wild game, because if it is not prepared and cooked properly it can be extremely gamy. Or gamey! Gamy and Gamey are both exceptable according to Webster grammar cop!

I prefer a nice Gamay, but to each his own.

LeePaul

Wonder if that would go nicely with wild duck medallions:)

Yojimbo

The Fighting Librarian and I just ate at Latitude 41[/url]and it was the best meal I’ve ever had.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

I love duck. They usually have some sort of tasty duck option on the menu at Z Cucina.

catnfiddle
    Participant

Yojimbo wrote >>
    The Fighting Librarian and I just ate at Latitude 41[/url]and it was the best meal I’ve ever had.

Ooo, almost forgot about them! Had some wonderful ostrich there, which is tough to find around here for some reason. Just bear in mind that they may be a little pricey if you’re on a budget.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 147 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: