Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Best Columbus restaurant

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Best Columbus restaurant

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 147 total)
  • Author

Bear
    Participant

citygal wrote >>
    Bear, I purposely left it open-ended; you just have to pick the best of the best, I s’pose :). I personally find the question difficult to answer myself, but I’ll have to go with Lindey’s for its tournedos of beef, brunch menu (specifically the divine stuffed french toast) and tiramisu.

Ahh… thought you were looking for a rec, not an exchange of opinions.

If I could only pick one, it’d have to be Alana’s — if only because the menu changes so often, and it’s all so good.

Smaller, high quality bites with some of the best cocktails around, I’d go Details.

Great blend of drink and meal combinations, terrific menu, with nice low/high pricing options, Deepwood.

Relaxing, amazing, reasonable, delicious lunch, Rigsby’s.

Terrific value, Refectory bistro. Even better value, Creole Kitchen, or On the Fly.

Yeah, really depends on what I want….

Mister Shifter
    Participant

The Refectory for me.

For non-special occasions and regular dining (yes flame me all you want) El Vaquero is my favorite.

CMH Gourmand
    Participant

So many choices….

Roland said Press Grill…great place, I am surprised he did not say Bono or Details or Adriaticos

If I was forced to choose at gunpoint – I would still squirm and try to defer a decision. I would point at something at a distance and then run in the opposite direction. But when finally cornered… I would have to go with Alana’s for the total package.

But these are the places that make choosing so hard.

Basi because it is Basi
    Rigsby’s for a great Saturday lunch
    Lindey’s because the place never disappoints
    G. Michael’s – my new obsession
    Deepwood – based entirely on the lobster and risotto I had on Friday and I am still thinking about today.

Add in another 10 places that posess near the same mojo to the 5 I have listed above: Starliner, Betty’s, Tip Top, Sage (Brunch), Refectory (Bistro menu and before I get someone riled up, The Refectory is wonderful, they execute everything well – I just don’t crave it as much for some reason), Black Creek Bistro, Banana Bean (original), Creole Kitchen, The Rossi (on a slow Sunday night) and what is a surprise to me as well…..Columbus Fish Market.

Bear
    Participant

D’oh! Forgot Basi, how could I!! Johnny’s such a wizard with the sauces in particular….

Mister Shifter
    Participant

I also have a deep love for Trattoria Roma now.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

I can’t make any claims on the “best” in Columbus, because I certainly haven’t eaten everywhere. Buuuuuuuut, my favorite is The Rossi. I just love that place. It’s got good mojo for me.

Jason Lemon Lyman
    Participant

Alana’s hands down. Followed closely by Basi.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

obvious choice for me, CUCO’s.

Had the tortas with the hotdogs in it on saturday.. way better than I thought.

enzo
    Participant

Alana’s—-the close second for me would be Banana Bean Cafe

Angel

I just realized I haven’t been to any of these places :(

MTBUSH

If you have the chance to go to Alana’s, Treat yourself. By far the best in the city.

ColDayMan
    Participant

HOGGY’S!!! :)

citygal

I think you guys have convinced me to check out Alana’s! :) What appetizer/entree/dessert do you recommend getting there?

BreakfastwithNick
    BreakfastwithNick
    Participant

I have to second enzo… Alana’s, followed by Banana Bean.

But, yeah, Columbus… oh so many good restaurants.

lisathewaitress
    Participant

citygal wrote >>
    I think you guys have convinced me to check out Alana’s! :) What appetizer/entree/dessert do you recommend getting there?

The menu pretty much changes daily, so it’s hard to isolate one thing. The apps & salads are always great; especially anything with an egg. Soon they should have asparagus with Indian Runner Duck egg, and you have to get that. We go there a lot and usually get 3-4 apps and a salad and share everything; you can get out of there for a pretty reasonable amount.

The cocktails are always very nice, and wine is very well chosen, so you can feel comfortable getting a less expensive bottle because you can trust Kevin’s taste in wine.

If you don’t want to the whole deal, then just sit at the bar and have a glass of wine and one app; you can get a great idea of how awesome the food is without spending a ton of money.

Now, for the other restaurants: go to Basi on a Monday night and order the meatball special for $20. Have one glass of cheap red wine and get out for $35/person or less.

G. Mike’s-go in and sit at the bar and order the shrimp & grits and, well, a beer, because their wine list is horrible. Out for less than $20, and the shrimp and grits are a meal by themselves.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 147 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Urban Living Tour returns (with strict safety guidelines) on Aug 30!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS