Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Best chef's knife?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Best chef’s knife?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 82 total)
  • Author

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Mercurius wrote >>
    I would certainly go with a Japanese forged blade especially seeing that you already have a German Henkel. I mostly use a Shun Elite 6″ Chefs Knife. (I have a Henkel 8″ Chefs knife that rarely leaves the block.) I really like how much more maneuverable a smaller chef’s knife is.

I found that my santoku was wonderfully maneuverable, which is why I do most of my cutting with it these days. What kind of grind is that? It looks like a chisel grind.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Roscoe wrote >>
    Don’t let the price throw you

I think that’s pretty close to what the Dexter-Russel knives I use cost. having used mine and then more expensive knives, I tend to be pretty happy with mine. I don’t think that we need to spend a lot on a blade for it to perform well.

klboylan

I also prefer Forschner knives. Cook’s Illustrated rates them as highly as Wustof (which I’m surprised hasn’t been mentioned here) but they cost much less. I do think the Wustof holds a sharp blade a little longer than the Forschner, but you can buy three Forschners for the price of one Wustof.

lisathewaitress
    Participant

always, always go with Japanese steel. Most Japanese knife manufacturers were once sword-making houses, and they have spent thousands of years perfecting the craft of blending metals to create perfectly sharp and flexible knifes. Even my cheap knives purchased at Tensuke are better than most German knives. Many Japanese knifes have an edge on only one side; if you are left-handed you might have to search a little harder.

Save up and buy one great knife. Usually 6-8″ for a girl and 8-10″ for a boy. not being sexist, it has to do with the size of your hand and your strength.

Cookware sorcerer has a great selection of Japanese knives and Nancy is very well-informed on the best ones.

I have enjoyed using both MAC and Global; although Shuns are probably the most beautiful.

Are you on a budget at all? I’m in the market for new knives too and have been eyeing Pure Komachi knives at North Market Cookware. They are high-carbon stainless steel and are around $20. They come in a bunch of different styles and colors.

Rastapasta

Global makes the best knives IMO FWIW. They retail at around $100 each, but they are occasionally for sale at around $65 on Amazon.

dirtgirl
    Participant

Speaking of Japanese steel, I have the Misono UX10 8″ chefs knife, which was “Highly Recommended” by Chefs Illustrated. It’s great – very solid, slightly curved and lightly dimpled so food doesn’t stick to the blade.

Rastapasta

double post

KSquared

Thanks for all the input everyone. I knew I could count on CU. I have a lot of options to weigh. I’d like to actually hold some of these knives to see how they feel in my hand, so that’s my next step.

@takeasiesta, I am always on a budget :)

michaelcoyote
    Participant

KSquared wrote >>
    Thanks for all the input everyone. I knew I could count on CU. I have a lot of options to weigh. I’d like to actually hold some of these knives to see how they feel in my hand, so that’s my next step.

The knife counter at Wasserstrom or Restaurant Equippers would be a good place to start..

I am surprised no one has mentioned Wusthof. IMHO, best knives ever….the forged steel versions of course.

I am surprised no one has mentioned Wusthof. IMHO, best knives ever….the forged steel versions of course.

spookygoddess78 wrote >>

I think it’s cause no one can afford them, haha. I gawk at them all the time though.

Rastapasta

Try picking up a few and seeing how they feel in your hand :)

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Go to Sur la Table @ Easton. You can try their knives in the cooking class kitchen…they’ll even give you a potato or onion to test them out (or you can bring your own items.) They carry many styles of the Shun, Global and Wusthof lines.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 82 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: