Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Best Pho in Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Best Pho in Columbus

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author

foton
    Participant

Fans (like me) of the beef pho that used to be available at the Saigon Palace downtown (Front St) will want to know that their new digs, called Merlion Noodle and Rice, is located at 5320 N. High St., just north of Graceland on the same side of the street in a small shopping center. I was told by one of the daughters when Saigon Palace closed that they planned to expand their popular noodle soups and the like at the new location. It’s been open about 4 weeks and I’m looking forward to checking it out. Their beef pho is by far the best I ever had!!

racheltb
    Participant

Alt Eats just posted a review today. http://alteatscolumbus.com/2012/05/01/merlion/

I think I know where I’m going for lunch tomorrow!

hungrywoolf
    Participant

I’ve been wanting to do a Pho version of the pizza grandprix (and a pad thai version) as it would be fun to compare them all side by side. I’m sure that preferences are just as subjective with those dishes as they are with pizza.

In the meantime I would give a shout out to the pho at Huong on Morse Road.
    http://alteatscolumbus.com/2010/03/12/huong/

tourist19
    Participant

hungrywoolf said:
    I’ve been wanting to do a Pho version of the pizza grandprix (and a pad thai version) as it would be fun to compare them all side by side. I’m sure that preferences are just as subjective with those dishes as they are with pizza.

In the meantime I would give a shout out to the pho at Huong on Morse Road.
    http://alteatscolumbus.com/2010/03/12/huong/

YES! Pho Grand Prix! (Can you tell that would excite me?)

DJ DocMedPot
    DJ DocMedPot
    Participant

Looking forward to giving them a try but, Lac Viet in Bethel Center and Indochine Cafe on Hamilton are still the tops in my book. Been doing Cbus Pho tour 2012 since the top of the year and making my rounds of them all slowly but surely. I have a few others I like around town but those two are my favs at this point.

j mcclane
    Participant

thanks for the heads up, i miss saigon palace very much, will be worth a trip up for sure

dirtgirl
    Participant

I was never a fan of Saigon, but not sure if I tried the pho. My top pho destination is MiLi Cafe, and their cousin, Buckeye Pho on Bethel, seems to be following the same recipe. Very flavorful broth. I am so in for a Pho Grand Prix.

And, actually, making pho at home isn’t hard. Basically roast your spices & aromatics, cook in beef broth, add noodles & garnish. I just haven’t figured out the right noodles to use yet.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

I was eating at Five Guys tonight on Bethel right next door to Buckeye Pho and was thinking to myself that I probably should’ve checked out Buckeye Pho instead. The only reason why I didn’t is because I’d have no idea what to order.

Any help or suggestions?

Twixlen
    Participant

Mister Shifter said:
    I was eating at Five Guys tonight on Bethel right next door to Buckeye Pho and was thinking to myself that I probably should’ve checked out Buckeye Pho instead. The only reason why I didn’t is because I’d have no idea what to order.

Any help or suggestions?

I like their plain pho – meaning no additional meat/tofu added. It’s a bowl of broth + noodles. Then you get a plate *filled* w sprouts, basil, greens, jalapeños… And you get various condiments – chili paste, soy sauce, hoisin… etc. Here is where you just have to try things – Keep in mind, if you have leftovers, and have added chilis/jalapeños, it’ll be twice as spicy.

Now I need pho.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

Cool, thanks Twixlen! I’ll check them out next time I’m close.

dirtgirl
    Participant

Or, if you’re in a sandwich mood (you’re at Five Guys after all), get the roasted pork bahn mi sandwich for $5. Amazing!

patient_zero
    Participant

Skreened has phở shirts for all of us phở geeks. Perfect for a meetup. ;)

Falafel District is also a mini Phở District, with several options in a 1.5 mile area. Even so, I don’t get enough of it. I prefer chicken over beef, though. I think the chicken remains more succulent in the broth, the beef a bit more rigid for my palette. Lan Viet in the North Market still has one of my favorites. Has been for years.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

Anonymous
    Inactive

Phở; it’s not overrated.

patient_zero
    Participant

phở/mo/deep

Phở – you can finish all the noodles and beef, but not all the broth and sriracha.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: