Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Best BBQ in columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Best BBQ in columbus

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 75 total)
  • Author

ohiojimmie
    Participant

drewtoothpaste wrote >>
    I grew up in Cincinnati and heard my whole life how good Montgomery Inn was and it was crushingly disappointing when I finally tried it. Later I found out that they parboil their ribs. 100% gross.
    Also, for all the times I ate at Skyline/Gold Star growing up, and liked it okay, I’ve never eaten Cincinnati chili since leaving. Cincinnati is the England of Ohio with regard to cuisine…

I love this post. Cinci grosses me out.

dirtgirl
    Participant

meltsintowonder wrote >>
    On a side note, for people who like to smoke at home, where do you typically buy your meat? This Sunday, I plan to do some whole chickens, baby back ribs (if they could only taste like Ray Ray’s), and sausages. I’m looking for value – fresh and relatively affordable.
    gphoto, know how he did his wings?

We get ours from Oink Moo Cluck at the Clintonville farmers market. You can email them a special order (we’ve gotten brisket and pork shoulder before) early in the week and they’ll have it waiting for you.

lifeliberty
    Participant

saw another BBQ trailer. it is located on alum creek drive between the McDonalds and the Lions Den, North of Devry and the old BMV(East side of alum Creek Dr). Didn’t stop though.

Rastapasta

Johnny Oak’s brisket sandwich is on the menu (for now) with chile mone sauce — instead of the sweeter bbq based sauces other places use, which makes me love the sandwich. Inconsistent hours, inconsistent menu, etc. mean it might be a good idea to call ahead.

Ray’s pork is amazing.

grifado

I like Cook Shack Bar-b-q on James close to Broad. Seems like a couple younger guys that want to do it right. The best is the pulled pork with cole slaw on top. They have a few different sauces – one vinegar, one mustard, and one more typical barbeque sauce. They have lots of good sides, including sweet potato caserole. Much better than Woody Ribs any day.

hivner1

I believe those are a football saturday item only. look for them the day OSU plays Miami.

gphoto wrote >>
    RayRay’s is awesome (and right at the end of my street, wooot! for stumbling up for a snack) but I wish he’d bring his wings back. They were definitely the best I’ve had in Columbus, smoked godliness.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I haven’t been there in an embarrassingly long time (Mini Real Ale Fest?), but Pitmaster Oscar Bickert knows a thing or two…

Anonymous
    Inactive

double post-whoops!

grifado

grifado wrote >>
    I like Cook Shack Bar-b-q on James close to Broad. Seems like a couple younger guys that want to do it right. The best is the pulled pork with cole slaw on top. They have a few different sauces – one vinegar, one mustard, and one more typical barbeque sauce. They have lots of good sides, including sweet potato caserole. Much better than Woody Ribs any day.

That didn’t last. Now an internet cafe.

bzarcher
    Participant

Mosley’s Meat Market in Hilliard has started offering smoked sausages, ribs, and brisket in addition to their normal deli offerings. I got some thai flavored smoked sausage from them on Saturday and it was quite good.

AMEEKER
    Participant

http://buckeyeboysbbq.com/

This guy used to do only catering, but is now set up in a bar kitchen off Glick Rd. We used him for a birthday party (actually, two) a few years ago. I can taste the chicken even now. Yummy.

Every Friday is Rib Night !!
    click here to view: Largo’s Rib Night

Buckeye Boys BBQ are now established with Largo’s Pub
    Shawnee Hills, Ohio off of Glick Rd.
    The address is 6155 Glick Rd. Powell, Oh. 43065
    Hours are Mon. thru Fri. 4 pm to midnight for food

drew
    Participant

lifeliberty wrote >>
    saw another BBQ trailer. it is located on alum creek drive between the McDonalds and the Lions Den, North of Devry and the old BMV(East side of alum Creek Dr). Didn’t stop though.

They’re not open yet (at least as of our last visit on Sunday), though rumor is that they should be soon.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

I’m not one to rave about BBQ, but this may or may not come as new to some..

The Top Steakhouse has the MOST AMAZING ribs EVER.

A lot of times their bar special is $18 for full rack, baked potato and salad.

They are seriously the chron-diddly.

lifeliberty
    Participant

drew wrote >>
    They’re not open yet (at least as of our last visit on Sunday), though rumor is that they should be soon.

Maybe there is a new one there now, there was a bbq place that was open over by Devry last summer. it was a red trailer I think. maybe they closed for the winter.

News
    Participant

Restaurant Review: Hoggy’s
    Published on November 13, 2013 8:00 am
    By: Miriam Bowers Abbott

Reports of Hoggy’s death were premature. The famous macaroni and cheese still lives, so does an abbreviated menu of its more popular barbecue items.

It takes a sharp eye (or an obsessive Google search) to find Hoggy’s vittles at the corner of Bethel and Olentangy River Roads. Once a local empire with several barbecue-themed locations, Hoggy’s is now operating (primarily as a catering business) inside of Johnny Buccelli’s at 830 Bethel Road.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/restaurant-review-hoggys-ma1

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 75 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!