Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Being Midwestern Nice

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Being Midwestern Nice

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 71 total)
  • Author

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

As you get older, you don’t bother to roll down your tinted SUV window before you honk the horn.

berry

GW_Justice wrote >>
    As you grow older, you get more conservative and that rebellion becomes exhausting and annoying. So you move back to be with people who may not challenge you – but at least they aren’t in your face.

Maybe I am just the exception that proves the rule – but personally, I think I am getting less conservative as I grow older…

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

GW_Justice wrote >>
    Just to elaborate on the “nice” factor – age is a big part of it too.
    Young kids are trained to be nice here, and for the most part follow along. Then as young adults they rebel and get sick of the nice, and the “certain sense of cynicism, skepticism, and free thinking” becomes important. A lot of them move away to experience life outside the midwest nice bubble.
    As you grow older, you get more conservative and that rebellion becomes exhausting and annoying. So you move back to be with people who may not challenge you – but at least they aren’t in your face.

You haven’t met my preschool kids…

GW_Justice
    Participant

berry wrote
    Maybe I am just the exception that proves the rule – but personally, I think I am getting less conservative as I grow older…

I’m with you on the feeling that I have not moved more to the conservative side, but House/Family/Career/Taxes changes the priorities. And since the center of conservative has shifted way right, there is nothing that makes me feel connected to those people.

LBOWACC

Andrew Hall wrote >>

joev wrote >>

Sandersen wrote >> That’s a great clarification. To assume that anyone is arrogant, an asshole, or both, requires an inherent belief that you yourself are not any of those things (for the most part, apart from the Gordon Gecko crowd). And if the Midwest as a general body believes that they have an excellent bullshit detector they can deploy on any victim they deem an asshole…it begs the question: What fucking basis does the Midwest (or anyone) have to claim divining status like that?

I can tell if a person is an asshole by watching how they treat other people. It’s easy. Someone who treats others like shit when he or she can get away with it is an asshole.

Your version is anodyne.
    The problem is that Midwesterners – as a general rule – have over-sensitivities (compared to others) as to what constitutes treating like shit. That subjectivity is the real rub which constitutes the subject, not examples of assholery which would be universal.
    A.

+1 so true

alove
    alove
    Participant

I think you can find nice and mean people in any city and that’s certainly the case here. I have met some amazing, open-minded, lively people from Columbus. I have also encountered A LOT of hate from strangers… Despite our increasing diversity people still think it’s okay to push their beliefs onto others.

joev
    Participant

Andrew Hall wrote >>

joev wrote >>

Sandersen wrote >> That’s a great clarification. To assume that anyone is arrogant, an asshole, or both, requires an inherent belief that you yourself are not any of those things (for the most part, apart from the Gordon Gecko crowd). And if the Midwest as a general body believes that they have an excellent bullshit detector they can deploy on any victim they deem an asshole…it begs the question: What fucking basis does the Midwest (or anyone) have to claim divining status like that?

I can tell if a person is an asshole by watching how they treat other people. It’s easy. Someone who treats others like shit when he or she can get away with it is an asshole.

Your version is anodyne.
    The problem is that Midwesterners – as a general rule – have over-sensitivities (compared to others) as to what constitutes treating like shit. That subjectivity is the real rub which constitutes the subject, not examples of assholery which would be universal.
    A.

I don’t buy this one bit. When I see someone being an asshole, the problem is not with me or my alleged insecurities. It’s with the asshole. I and ever other person who hasn’t been raised by wolves is qualified to make this distinction.

Sandersen

I don’t buy this one bit. When I see someone being an asshole, the problem is not with me or my alleged insecurities. It’s with the asshole. I and ever other person who hasn’t been raised by wolves is qualified to make this distinction.

It doesn’t matter if you don’t buy it because you’re not a legitimate source to be making that claim.

Think about it this way: let’s say someone holds the exact same opinion you do about pointing out assholes…..but they think that you’re an asshole. Would you give them authority to make that declaration?

You wouldn’t. That’s why people who hold the opinion you do generally tend to prefer the company of like-minded people (i.e. “The Midwest”), because it’s not just you making the judgment call, it’s you and all your friends.

And for the record I’m not saying that you are a groupthinker etc. I’m just pointing out that your argument is kind of flawed.

joev
    Participant

Sandersen wrote >>
    It doesn’t matter if you don’t buy it because you’re not a legitimate source to be making that claim.
    Think about it this way: let’s say someone holds the exact same opinion you do about pointing out assholes…..but they think that you’re an asshole. Would you give them authority to make that declaration?
    You wouldn’t. That’s why people who hold the opinion you do generally tend to prefer the company of like-minded people (i.e. “The Midwest”), because it’s not just you making the judgment call, it’s you and all your friends.
    And for the record I’m not saying that you are a groupthinker etc. I’m just pointing out that your argument is kind of flawed.

If someone thinks I’m an asshole, of course I’d give them the authority to make that decision. It’s every person’s individual decision. But our society creates most of the norms for people to make the decision, and we’re all aware that we have to live with the consequences if we’re identified as an asshole.

lisathewaitress
    Participant

joev wrote

i totally agree. an asshole = asshole. doesn’t matter who is making the judgement. i think the difference is that some people don’t mind hanging out with assholes, which is why they are most always in groups. wearing ed hardy shirts.

seems funny that everyone is giving the assholes the benefit of the doubt here by saying those who can’t stand them are part of an insecure group who can’t handle others being mean.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Sandersen wrote >>

Think it’s safe to say most people generally prefer the company of those they’re comfortable with. Not always, of course, but generally.

The “raised by wolves” comment reminds me of the no true scotsman fallacy; in other words, no one in “my” group would be an asshole.. so anyone who is an asshole can’t be “my” group. They have to have been “raised by wolves”.

joev
    Participant

rus wrote >>

Sandersen wrote >>

Think it’s safe to say most people generally prefer the company of those they’re comfortable with. Not always, of course, but generally.
    The “raised by wolves” comment reminds me of the no true scotsman fallacy; in other words, no one in “my” group would be an asshole.. so anyone who is an asshole can’t be “my” group. They have to have been “raised by wolves”.

Believe me, even an asshole can tell when someone else is being an asshole.

rus
    rus
    Participant

joev wrote >>

rus wrote >>

Sandersen wrote >>

Believe me, even an asshole can tell when someone else is being an asshole.

Even if they were raised by wolves? ;)

joev
    Participant

rus wrote >>

We all know the last person raised by wolves was Remus.

rus
    rus
    Participant

joev wrote >>

rus wrote >>

We all know the last person raised by wolves was Remus.

So… assholes are killed so their brother can found a city? ;)

OK, might have just tied that metaphor in knots ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 71 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: