Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Bees in the Spring

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Bees in the Spring

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

misskitty
    Participant

It is spring once more and I have a question about bee’s.

My front yard has little holes all over it and hundreds of bee’s hovering the yard.

Their not aggressive at all you can get right in the middle of them and they don’t seem to be bothered I have never been stung nor has my son. I don’t mind having them at all they only stay about a month and it happens every year. I was just wondering if anyone knows what their called ? What they do or if anyone has this happen in there yard?

It’s always a sign of spring I was just curious about it. Also there are no hives there strictly ground bee’s.

Mister MooCow
    Participant

misskitty wrote >>
    It is spring once more and I have a question about bee’s.
    My front yard has little holes all over it and hundreds of bee’s hovering the yard.

We have neighbors that are lucky enough to have a large colony of digger bees in their yard. Check this “fact sheet” for more info: http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2143.html

WildmanDan

Well thankfully they are not yellow jackets (wasps that people mistake for bees) that live in holes in grounds, logs, etc. Had the fun of dealing with them on more than one occasion growing up. Also the fun of helping my maternal grandparents clear out all their hornets nests every summer in various trees. Also the occasional bumble bee nest that crop up in weird places like mason jars, etc.

misskitty
    Participant

ok awesome I bet that is what they are. Like I said they are really no issue and just kick it for a month. And we are missing grass out front right now.
    I noticed the Robin and Cardinal we have eating them I hope they don’t get stung.
    Yea and for some reason there pretty docile with lots of kids in the area that is a good thing.
    Thanks for the Link

Core_Models

I can never remember what bees sting, what don’t, etc. I do know what hornets look like, and that’s pretty much the only one I stay clear of because they seem agressive as hell.

WildmanDan

Core_Models wrote >>
    I can never remember what bees sting, what don’t, etc. I do know what hornets look like, and that’s pretty much the only one I stay clear of because they seem agressive as hell.

Believe me, if you ran across some yellow jackets, you would know about it. The are harder to watch out for since you may not know your right on top of them. Also both are wasps, but we tended to break them up on not as bees and wasps, but which attacked you and which didn’t.

misskitty
    Participant

I have got stung by wasps a lot when I was younger and playing out in the woods and places wasps love to hide. ouch!!

It’s been a real exciting this spring so far I have seen so many new birds around we have a Northern Male Cardinal, Bluejays, and a really cute one that has a bright red Mohawk it makes a lot of noise.

Core_Models

pretty soon you’ll just see Bluejays…

misskitty
    Participant

Why?!?
    I am not real informed on birds is why I ask.

Cuz bluejays are pricks, and they chase everything else off. But usually not cardinals.

What does a bumblebee nest look like?

WildmanDan

Please remember, trying to remember old images, but bumble bees nests were a series of round sacs clustered together. But remember that is from over 20 years ago so I may be confusing it with something else.

Matthew
    Participant

misskitty wrote >>
    I have got stung by wasps a lot when I was younger and playing out in the woods and places wasps love to hide. ouch!!
    It’s been a real exciting this spring so far I have seen so many new birds around we have a Northern Male Cardinal, Bluejays, and a really cute one that has a bright red Mohawk it makes a lot of noise.

Bright red mohawk is probably a woodpecker. I’ve been feeding a pair of them all winter. I’ve been told that mud daubers also don’t sting/bite. Although I’ve never tested the theory.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

From what I see around town, it seems the bumblebees have largely replaced the honeybees as pollenators.

As for the yellowjackets, that’s a whole different story. I’ve met up with them on a few occasions when landscaping. Now I mess with junk piles in winter.

I used to watch a cabin that was a magnet for the paper wasps, they’d build nests all around window and door frames, eaves, etc. They would stand guard on the nests but you could walk right past them and they would not attack. They would get trapped in the house by the hundreeds, on a quiet day the main sound was them whapping against the upsatirs windows and skylights. The house also trapped moths.

Moving up the food chain, the house also had a polulation of mice that apparently lived off the trapped insects – I would find wasp and moth wings, but no bodies. Then once in a while I would find a shed snake skin somewhere inside. I don’t know if a hawk ever flew in the window…

misskitty
    Participant

alexs wrote >>
    Then once in a while I would find a shed snake skin somewhere inside. I don’t know if a hawk ever flew in the window…

That was most likely the snake feeding on the mice then shedding for growth. At least you never came a crossed a giant snake by surprise lol

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

It was funny to ask the owners where they found the skin, and they responded “what snakeskin?”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: