Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Beechwold Boundaries Confuse Everyone

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Beechwold Boundaries Confuse Everyone

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Old Beechwold designation can wait, association says

Thursday, May 27, 2010 2:53 AM

BY MARK FERENCHIK

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

A group representing the Old Beechwold neighborhood association will not pursue a Columbus historic designation for the area.

However, other residents are asking neighbors to sign an application to restore the boundaries for more than 130 homes, an effort some say could further split the neighborhood on the already-divisive issue.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2010/05/27/old-beechwold-designation-can-wait-association-says.html?sid=101

bjones7
    Participant

I grew up in Old Beechwold, and when asked “where do you live?”, I always replied “Old Beechwold”. “Where?” they asked.

The thing is, unless you know where all the historic neighboorhoods are or are from the Clintonville area, you probably don’t know where Old Beechwold is. You probably don’t care ether.

Anyways, I always said in response to my above statement, “Oh I mean, I live in Clintonville”. The person, “ohhh, I know where that is!”.

Besides historic purposes, why should this matter? Of course Jason Janicakowsi is going to downplay it. It’s not important and waste of news..I swear Columbus news(in general), has nothing better to report.

alove
    alove
    Participant

From the ends of the article:

[Enas Lanham and her husband moved from Old Beechwold to Dublin’s Ballantrae neighborhood in 2002 after the Historic Resources Commission denied their request to install energy-efficient windows.

“We felt it was not worth investing in a home that would always have this problem and decided to move instead,” she said.]

What? That doesn’t make sense to me.

cc

In the old frontier days I believe the windows were made of greased paper. It had to stink in the summer. I would have moved also.

rory
    Participant

cc wrote >>
    In the old frontier days I believe the windows were made of greased paper. It had to stink in the summer. I would have moved also.

In the old frontier days they grilled their greased paper windows on Memorial Day and used them like tortillas. They would put up new ones on Labor Day. Had the good people of Old Beechwold just followed the old ways….

Analogue Kid
    Participant

I used to live in New Beechwold and never worried about my windows

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Old Beechwold split over historic-designation plan
    ShareThis
    THURSDAY, AUGUST 26, 2010
    BY MARK FERENCHIK
    THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

The Old Beechwold neighborhood in Clintonville is a step closer to regaining its historic designation. But not everyone who lives there is eager to have the Columbus City Council approve the measure, which got the nod this week from the city’s Historic Resources Commission.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatchpolitics.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2010/08/26/copy/old-beechwold-split-over-historic-designation-plan.html?adsec=politics&sid=101

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Historic or not? Dispute continues over Old Beechwold
    ShareThis
    WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 27, 2010
    BY MARK FERENCHIK
    THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

The fight in Old Beechwold over whether the neighborhood should regain its historic status has become so bitterly divisive that longtime neighbors are shunning one another.

“I’ve seen people I’ve lived with for 32 years who won’t speak to me,” Charles Kistler told Columbus City Council members during a public hearing yesterday evening.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatchpolitics.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2010/10/27/copy/historic-or-not-dispute-continues.html?adsec=politics&sid=101

HeySquare
    Participant

alove wrote >>
    From the ends of the article:
    [Enas Lanham and her husband moved from Old Beechwold to Dublin’s Ballantrae neighborhood in 2002 after the Historic Resources Commission denied their request to install energy-efficient windows.
    “We felt it was not worth investing in a home that would always have this problem and decided to move instead,” she said.]
    What? That doesn’t make sense to me.

But they apparently didn’t have any problem selling the house. So I guess someone must have been OK with those windows.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: