Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Basi in the Short North

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Basi in the Short North

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author

Bear
    Participant

Ndcent wrote

Walker wrote

somertimeoh wrote I’m surprised the residents haven’t made that area permit parking only. Seems like it would be easy to get people behind that.

+1

If you don’t want non-residents parking in your neighborhood, this is the best way to go.

I understand it to be a petition process that isn’t too terribly difficult.

I’d rather hear that those neighboring residents were in the process of it, than hear them complain about parking.

People do use the valet service… and Basi is just one restaurant in an otherwise-residential neighborhood without (in my experience) too many serious parking problems. So it ain’t broke, really. But if a lot of people didn’t use the valet service, that’d probably get pretty old pretty fast.

enzo
    Participant

enzo wrote There may be another Basi thread, but I went last night and have not been in about a year…I love that place sooooooooooooooooooo much. I really want the mannequin on the patio. I had the zucchini appetizer and Hey Mambo wine—fanfreakingtastic.

Please show Ndcent that I used the search feature here too!

Bear
    Participant

enzo wrote Please show Ndcent that I used the search feature here too!

Now, now. This is a Basi thread. Keep it sweet and savory, not bitter. :wink:

dirtgirl
    Participant

So do we know where the valets park the cars?

We are going Saturday night for our first anniversary dinner. Yeah, it’s nothing fancy like the Refectory, but it’s where we ate with our families after our wedding, so it seemed like a fun tradition to start. Anything new on the menu worth checking out?

marymo

dirtgirl wrote So do we know where the valets park the cars?

The valets are supposed to park at Giant Eagle. I know this because last summer I called Basi about 10 times to let them know that the valets were parking on Neil, Buttles, and Hubbard. Repeatedly. Even after my neighbors and I asked them politely (at first) and not-so-politely (the umpteenth time) not to park on the neighborhood streets. When I called the Basi managers were very apologetic and said that they pay for spaces in the Giant Eagle parking lot and the valets should be parking there. The valet company that they hire was crappy about laying down the law with the valets, though.

Notably, this year I have seen the valets running to and fro the Giant Eagle parking lot rather than the ‘hood. (I have also noticed that this year I am able to find a parking spot on my street between the hours of 5 and 10 pm.)

Also notably, you can park at Giant Eagle and not get towed as long as it’s not Comfest weekend. I have had friends park there for literally a week while they went out of town and their car wasn’t touched. FYI if you don’t have cash/ don’t mind walking a block.

Brewmaster

Wow…people in Victorian Village are crazy about their parking! :lol:

The Hegemo

You could also park on Thurber East in front of Wheeler Park (the street directly behind Giant Eagle) and walk a couple blocks. That end of the street is non-residential, and the apartment buildings back there all have lots, so you wouldn’t be putting anybody out.

lifeliberty
    Participant

or you can just park anywhere you find a legal street spot. last time I went there was plenty of parking on neil across from giant eagle.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Yep. Legal parking is legal parking. Residents and business patrons alike have an equal right to use street space as they see fit.

It can be a drag when you can’t park in front of your own house after a particularly bad day at work or something, but if it’s that big of a problem, it’s not that hard to round up signatures and turn in some paper work to get your street turned into a resident-only sticker parking area.

Parking problems are a very common issue for dense urban areas. There’s no real easy way to have your cake and eat it too on this one. And it’s only going to get worse. ;)

marymo

Walker wrote Yep. Legal parking is legal parking. Residents and business patrons alike have an equal right to use street space as they see fit.

It can be a drag when you can’t park in front of your own house after a particularly bad day at work or something, but if it’s that big of a problem, it’s not that hard to round up signatures and turn in some paper work to get your street turned into a resident-only sticker parking area.

Parking problems are a very common issue for dense urban areas. There’s no real easy way to have your cake and eat it too on this one. And it’s only going to get worse. ;)

Yeah, I have no beef with people parking themselves on the non-permit streets, it’s their right and I do the same when I go to German Village, etc. I didn’t have that far of a walk when I couldn’t park on the street. What pissed me off was that these valets were basically fleecing people out of their money by saying “respect our neighbors, use the valet” and then parking on our street anyway. Nobody won except the valets. I definitely give my appreciation to the Basi management for A) paying for spaces at Giant Eagle and B) (of late) making sure the valets are doing what they are supposed to do.

lifeliberty
    Participant

marymo wrote Yeah, I have no beef with people parking themselves on the non-permit streets, it’s their right and I do the same when I go to German Village, etc. I didn’t have that far of a walk when I couldn’t park on the street. What pissed me off was that these valets were basically fleecing people out of their money by saying “respect our neighbors, use the valet” and then parking on our street anyway. Nobody won except the valets. I definitely give my appreciation to the Basi management for A) paying for spaces at Giant Eagle and B) (of late) making sure the valets are doing what they are supposed to do.

Ok, I totally see you point and agree with you about the Valet situation. I mean, they were paid to park the cars in a particular spot and I believe I’ve seen a sign regarding the respect for neighbors encouraging valet use.

Bear
    Participant

Walker wrote Parking problems are a very common issue for dense urban areas. There’s no real easy way to have your cake and eat it too on this one. And it’s only going to get worse.

So… I realize that I’m kind of new to town. But is this seriously how the residents of Columbus define a “parking problem”?

(the parking lot in question, for those not from the area, being exactly the same Giant Eagle lot that the valets are paid to drive the cars to, by the way…. I realize it’s Giant Eagle parking, but there’s always so much space, especially at those hours, that I’d be amazed if anyone cared….)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Bear wrote So… I realize that I’m kind of new to town. But is this seriously how the residents of Columbus define a “parking problem”?

I was defining the problem more as an annoyance that street parking is not always available directly in front of your own house. I’ve been annoyed by it in the past when I lived on campus and in the Brewery District, and thankfully don’t have to deal with it for the time being. Some days it’s not so bad. Other days it can be a pretty big hassle (trunk full of things to unload).

But yeah, I agree with Marymo that valets really need to park where they’re supposed to, if they’re being paid to use the Giant Eagle lot.

Bear
    Participant

Walker wrote

Bear wrote So… I realize that I’m kind of new to town. But is this seriously how the residents of Columbus define a “parking problem”?

I was defining the problem more as an annoyance that street parking is not always available directly in front of your own house.

Ah — so you were. My bad, sorry. I wasn’t reading carefully enough.

And I shouldn’t have singled you out; my point was that a lot of people (including valets) seem to be getting amazingly worked up over the prospect of walking two blocks.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Bear wrote

Ah — so you were. My bad, sorry. I wasn’t reading carefully enough.

And I shouldn’t have singled you out; my point was that a lot of people (including valets) seem to be getting amazingly worked up over the prospect of walking two blocks.

Many people who were raised here as children have always gotten in their car at home and been driven to a parking lot at the destination or later as they grew up did the driving themselves. Sad, but true that walking a couple of blocks seems like a horribly abnormal inconvenience to many who were raised that way.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: