Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Bars with Peanuts

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Bars with Peanuts

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)
  • Author

Hael

enzo wrote >>
    Peanuts are not really nuts– they are legumes. Peanuts are difficult to digest and can make one feel sluggish and lethargic in body and mind. Ideally you should boil peanuts before eating them.

whaaa whhhuuum

shmack

Not sure about peanuts specifically, but Cafe Apropos serves a happy hour snack with each alcoholic beverage they pour. And I recall seeing a popcorn machine at Park Street Tavern, might only be for Blue Jackets or football games.

dsigner
    Participant

Has no one said the High Beck?!? Great spicy peanuts. They might not always be out but you can ask. Fee pizza Monday nights. And free wi-fi, pool, darts, ping-pong too. And no I don’t work there (but they do sponsor by softball team).

efilsitra
    efilsitra
    Participant

ruby tuesday 1978 summit has spanish peanuts but i think u have to buy them (they are SOOO worth it with an ice cold beer…mm so salty) AND the thirsty ear tavern in grandview (on 3rd) gives FREE yes FREE spanish peanuts out to customers!!! WOOT, i found one!

Core_Models

I thought Gresso’s had peanuts at one point too? Could be completely crazy on that though.

GeorgeB

Texas Roadhouse (Bethel Rd.) offers peanuts. Also 5 guys hamburger joint (not a bar) on Polaris.

enzo
    Participant

Core_Models wrote >>

enzo wrote >>

alexs wrote >>
    Dick’s Den, back in the day, I still eat salted peanuts with the shells on.

Your poor intestines…..yikes.

Adding peanuts to that apple a day that keeps the doctor away is a good way to stay heart-healthy and trim, says a Purdue University professor.

http://news.uns.purdue.edu/UNS/html4ever/030731.Mattes.peanuts.html

Researchers at Harvard School of Public Health found that dieters who included a moderate amount of good fat in their diets from foods like peanuts, nuts and unsaturated oils, were able to lose more weight and keep it off over the long term

http://womenshealth.about.com/cs/heartdisease/a/peanutsheart_2.htm

The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) affirmed a health claim that peanuts and other nuts may reduce the risk of heart disease when consumed daily in small amounts. This action is based on a large body of epidemiological and clinical studies showing a 25-50% reduction in the risk of heart disease when 1 to 2 ounces of peanuts or nuts are consumed 5 or more times a week.

http://www.peanut-institute.org/071503_PR.html

A University of Florida team says peanuts are rich in antioxidants which protect cells from damage linked to heart disease and cancer.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4194275.stm

At least five major studies confirm that eating peanuts can lower risk for coronary heart disease. So it’s no leap to think that peanut butter confers the same benefits. “Suffice it to say that eating peanut butter or peanuts has been associated with lower total cholesterol, lower ldl or ‘bad’ cholesterol, and lower triglycerides, all of which are associated with lower cardiovascular disease risk,” says Richard Mattes, Ph.D., R.D., a professor of nutrition at Purdue University.
    Even better, these health benefits seem to occur without also promoting weight gain.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/diet.fitness/11/06/cl.healthful.foods/
    Now, I’m sure some maharishi has told you that peanuts, like red meat, stay in your bowels for a decade undigested and you need regular colonics to clear it up…but that’s, forgive the pun, crap.

HE EATS THEM WITH THE SHELL ON BACK OFF CORE!!!!!

Core_Models

As much as I enjoy angry, yelling Enzo…can you please provide some documentation for this health risk of eating unshelled peanuts.

If the source contains the words “maharishi” or “spiritual adviser” or “Galactic Lord Xenu”…don’t bother.

Bear
    Participant

Now, Enzo, don’t be hatin’ on peanuts.

After all,
    March is National Peanut Month

enzo
    Participant

noooooo core, I am saying the guy who posted said he ate the peanuts with the shells on!!!!! Not a health risk, just not optimal for proper disgestion and feeling fabulous and energetic. If you boiled them, they would be better digested—the heavy peanut not softened by boiling takes FOREVER to digest,digestion energy takes away from your all over energy.http://abcnews.go.com/Health/AllergyAndAsthmaResourceCenter/Story?id=1799935&page=2

Legumes are inexpensive sources of proteins; however, they contain antinutritional factors such as tannins, phytates, and trypsin inhibitors, which if ingested can reduce the nutritional quality of the food and lead to undesirable physiological effects (14-17). Therefore, they need to be processed prior to consumption to reduce the levels of these antinutritional factors. Peanuts, like other members of the legume family, are consumed mostly as processed products. There are four market-types of peanuts (Runner, Virginia, Valencia, and Spanish) typically grown and processed in the U.S. They are mainly consumed as peanut butter or roasted nuts. While peanuts are mainly consumed in the boiled form in Asia and Africa, boiled peanuts have been popular in the southern region of the U.S. and, in recent years, can be found in grocery stores as a snack item

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/jf071877l

Core_Models

I’m not sure you actually read that article.

enzo
    Participant

Just boil your peanuts before you have to eat…

Core_Models

enzo wrote >>
    Just boil your peanuts before you have to eat…

If it’s any consolation, nothing boils my nuts faster than attempting to argue with you.

shmack

You’re missing the main point of the study:

Boiling had a significant effect on the phytochemical composition of peanuts compared to oil- and dry-roasting. Boiled peanuts had higher total isoflavone content with a two- and fourfold increase in biochanin A and genistein content, respectively. trans-Resveratrol was detected only in the boiled peanuts, with the commercial peanuts having significantly (p ≤ 0.05) higher concentration. Also, other UV absorbing compounds were detected in the boiled peanut extracts. These may be products of the hydrolysis due to boiling, may have migrated into the peanut kernels from the hull during boiling, or may be components of the skin. Significantly (p ≤ 0.05) higher levels of total flavonoids and polyphenols were observed in the boiled peanut extracts compared to raw and roasted peanut extracts.

There is no conclusion made as to the benefits of digesting boiled peanuts over roasted peanuts, merely that boiled peanuts exhibit higher levels of isoflavones.

Hael

this thread along with the warm weather is making for a great friday. thanks everybody.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: