Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Bars with Peanuts

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Bars with Peanuts

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)
  • Author

Anyone know of any bars around the Northern Columbus area (short north and above, but honestly anywhere) that offer free peanuts to patrons?

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Dick’s Den, back in the day, I still eat salted peanuts with the shells on.

rory
    Participant

the Rose and Thistle used to have unlimited free peanuts but I’m not sure they’re still open.

SJT
    SJT
    Participant

I am truly baffled by this… what is the obsession with the free peanut/ popcorn thing?? I dunno- never mattered to me when I was seeking bars. ????

Oh& I think the Short North Tavern& Xenos still offer this indulgence:)

SJT wrote >>
    I am truly baffled by this… what is the obsession with the free peanut/ popcorn thing??

stems entirely from nostalgia. where i used to live the bar i frequented had a barrel of peanuts that you could take bowls from to your table. it was the.best.bar.ever. i’m just hoping i didn’t move away from the only place that does that, ever.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

$.25 glasses of Blatz on Wednesdays, and free peanuts … Why Not?

lifeliberty
    Participant

Byrnes in Grandview has popcorn I think

Hael

Villa Nova happy hour offers free wings, pizza, subs and popcorn. You know when you sprinkle fish food in a fish tank and the little fishes go into a spastic feeding frenzy, that’s how it is when they bring out the free pizza.

Cookie

alexs wrote >>
    $.25 glasses of Blatz on Wednesdays, and free peanuts … Why Not?

I believe Thursday has the answer to your question.

enzo
    Participant

Peanuts are not really nuts– they are legumes. Peanuts are difficult to digest and can make one feel sluggish and lethargic in body and mind. Ideally you should boil peanuts before eating them.

Core_Models

enzo wrote >>
    Peanuts are not really nuts– they are legumes. Peanuts are difficult to digest and can make one feel sluggish and lethargic in body and mind. Ideally you should boil peanuts before eating them.

Do you know my next door neighbor has three rabbits?

enzo
    Participant

Hahahahahaha….

foxforcefive
    Participant

The human head weighs eight pounds.

enzo
    Participant

alexs wrote >>

Your poor intestines…..yikes.

Core_Models

enzo wrote >>

alexs wrote >>

Your poor intestines…..yikes.

Adding peanuts to that apple a day that keeps the doctor away is a good way to stay heart-healthy and trim, says a Purdue University professor.

http://news.uns.purdue.edu/UNS/html4ever/030731.Mattes.peanuts.html

Researchers at Harvard School of Public Health found that dieters who included a moderate amount of good fat in their diets from foods like peanuts, nuts and unsaturated oils, were able to lose more weight and keep it off over the long term

http://womenshealth.about.com/cs/heartdisease/a/peanutsheart_2.htm

The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) affirmed a health claim that peanuts and other nuts may reduce the risk of heart disease when consumed daily in small amounts. This action is based on a large body of epidemiological and clinical studies showing a 25-50% reduction in the risk of heart disease when 1 to 2 ounces of peanuts or nuts are consumed 5 or more times a week.

http://www.peanut-institute.org/071503_PR.html

A University of Florida team says peanuts are rich in antioxidants which protect cells from damage linked to heart disease and cancer.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4194275.stm

At least five major studies confirm that eating peanuts can lower risk for coronary heart disease. So it’s no leap to think that peanut butter confers the same benefits. “Suffice it to say that eating peanut butter or peanuts has been associated with lower total cholesterol, lower ldl or ‘bad’ cholesterol, and lower triglycerides, all of which are associated with lower cardiovascular disease risk,” says Richard Mattes, Ph.D., R.D., a professor of nutrition at Purdue University.

Even better, these health benefits seem to occur without also promoting weight gain.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/diet.fitness/11/06/cl.healthful.foods/

Now, I’m sure some maharishi has told you that peanuts, like red meat, stay in your bowels for a decade undigested and you need regular colonics to clear it up…but that’s, forgive the pun, crap.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: