Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Barry's ordered out of North Market

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Barry’s ordered out of North Market

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 129 total)
  • Author

myliftkk
    Participant

JonMyers wrote >>
    TT – you can get group health insurance through the freelancers union. I get mine through them. I pay about $95/ month. It’s open to about anyone, is free to join and takes a few minutes to sign up:
    http://www.freelancersunion.org/

I priced nearly equivalent coverage to my corporate coverage and it’d be double my current monthly cost.

Not a fan of HSAs, I have to say. It would be a lot simpler if they just let me deduct health spending from my earned income at the end of the year. Forcing me to pre-allocate income to pay a $20 co-pay is just a handout to financial services players that maintain HSAs.

myliftkk wrote >> Not a fan of HSAs, I have to say. It would be a lot simpler if they just let me deduct health spending from my earned income at the end of the year. Forcing me to pre-allocate income to pay a $20 co-pay is just a handout to financial services players that maintain HSAs.

Yep, that would be nice. However, if you’re in a high-deductible plan to save premiums, it’s better than paying the deductible expenses out-of pocket on taxed dollars. For example, above there was a $50 expense paid. If paid without an HSA, you paid the $50, plus you paid taxes on that $50. If paid from an HSA, at least you didn’t pay taxes on it. And, if you invest it (I’m not sure all plans provide this option), it provides tax free growth (for those of us not using it to pay bills now). I’ll be retiring before I’m eligible for Medicare, so having this investment grow tax free to pay for medical expenses when I’m more likely to incur them, is better than my 401K (for what I can use it for – I’m assuming I’ll have enough medical expenses to use it all).

And…I agree about the handout to financial services players. I get pretty peeved about 401K constraints, too.

Fsonicsmith
    Participant

TT;
    I don’t post often here, but I lurk often. You seem to lash out at folks for no reason. My reference to “free labor” was not intended to me a poke at Barry. I doubt anyone else interpreted it that way. It simply meant that he now had to pay someone else the labor of assembling sandwiches since he could not. And what in the world makes you assume that I have “corporate package health insurance” which your response seems to presume. FWIW, I assure you I pay quite a bit for a family health plan as a small business owner you turd. I apologize to all however for derailing the thread on health insurance issues.
    I was a long time customer of Barry’s. Not their best, by any means, ’cause I don’t eat a lot of deli sandwiches, no matter how authentic. But I always liked Barry and his son and their food. I realized right away after the remodel that food portions and quality had gone down and the prices had gone up. My wife had them cater at least one very large job through her work, maybe more. I hope they somehow land on their feet.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

FSonicSmith wrote >> I assure you I pay quite a bit for a family health plan as a small business owner you turd.

really?

Was there really something said back there that warranted calling a fellow small business owner a turd?

LoudPrincess

FSonicSmith wrote >>
    TT;
    I don’t post often here, but I lurk often. You seem to lash out at folks for no reason. My reference to “free labor” was not intended to me a poke at Barry. I doubt anyone else interpreted it that way. It simply meant that he now had to pay someone else the labor of assembling sandwiches since he could not. And what in the world makes you assume that I have “corporate package health insurance” which your response seems to presume. FWIW, I assure you I pay quite a bit for a family health plan as a small business owner you turd. I apologize to all however for derailing the thread on health insurance issues.
    I was a long time customer of Barry’s. Not their best, by any means, ’cause I don’t eat a lot of deli sandwiches, no matter how authentic. But I always liked Barry and his son and their food. I realized right away after the remodel that food portions and quality had gone down and the prices had gone up. My wife had them cater at least one very large job through her work, maybe more. I hope they somehow land on their feet.

I didn’t read Tigertree’s comment about “free labor” as a verbal assault. Knowing him as a pretty nice guy, I think he may have taken it the wrong way, but it doesn’t mean that namecalling is necessary here.

But anywho…I think Barry & kin will be just fine, it’s just the emotional devastation that is so sad. I saw him last weekend, and I swear I thought his eyes were welling up. He’s a tough guy, but this has been a big blow for him and his family.

The bozos that hijacked his business deserve their names dragged through the news. They jacked up the prices, lowered the quality of the food, and- worst of all- took Barry and his family completely out of the equation. Just having them attached to the deli in some way, overseeing the quality of service and product made it a better atmosphere.

Tigertree

FSonicSmith wrote >>
    TT;

Dude, I wasn’t lashing out. You went on a tirade about how none of the businesses in the North Market could be making any money because they don’t charge enough for a sandwich or have health insurance. I was just pointing out, from my experience in getting health care as a self employed individual, that it is mega expensive and isn’t a fair barometer for a businesses success. I didn’t mean to assert that you weren’t also self employed or know what insurance costs on account of it. I am sorry, and a bit confused, if that offended you.

futureman wrote >>
    But wouldn’t being a full time student make you eligible for university health insurance?
    I recall when looking into getting health insurance for my girlfriend through OSU they wanted around $1000 a month. They do however recognize same sex domestic partners and that would be less than a $100 a month.
    ETA: http://hr.osu.edu/benefits/Rates-SD.pdf

You are correct, I do qualify for University group which is around $1400 a year (and use now, cause I am also at a great med school). Before I went to grad school though I was a contractor dealing in securities and had to pay for my own insurance. I did quite a bit of research on offerings and ended up with a plan very comparable to the University offered one, the big difference: go as many times as you wish with no increase in premium. So it was worth the nominal upcharge.

Edit: I don’t go to grad school at tOSU so I have no idea what the options are there, but my undergrad package was fantastic.

Tigertree wrote >>
    Is that through work? I am saying with no group discounts insurance is incredibly expensive. For someone self employed to get the bells and whistles (dental, vision, meds, office visits..) coverage one is used to through a corporate benefits package is pretty shocking. I’ll admit the 1000 dollar figure might be a bit of an exaggeration, but the 500 is definitely not, especially for women.

Mine was not through work, individual plan. No doubt it is crazy expensive, you won’t hear an argument from me on that. Age has a lot to do with it, and it jumps dramatically on the actuary tables, but I got mine as a 31 yr old all the bells and whistles and paid, I think, $115 a month. When I check the ages just going from 25 to 30 was something like $25 a month.

*Edit–I must admit though I am a speciman of a human being and am most likely the best breeding stock in the county so Darwin may have been looking out for me :)

myliftkk
    Participant

chrisgillespie wrote >>

myliftkk wrote >> Not a fan of HSAs, I have to say. It would be a lot simpler if they just let me deduct health spending from my earned income at the end of the year. Forcing me to pre-allocate income to pay a $20 co-pay is just a handout to financial services players that maintain HSAs.

Yep, that would be nice. However, if you’re in a high-deductible plan to save premiums, it’s better than paying the deductible expenses out-of pocket on taxed dollars. For example, above there was a $50 expense paid. If paid without an HSA, you paid the $50, plus you paid taxes on that $50. If paid from an HSA, at least you didn’t pay taxes on it. And, if you invest it (I’m not sure all plans provide this option), it provides tax free growth (for those of us not using it to pay bills now). I’ll be retiring before I’m eligible for Medicare, so having this investment grow tax free to pay for medical expenses when I’m more likely to incur them, is better than my 401K (for what I can use it for – I’m assuming I’ll have enough medical expenses to use it all).
    And…I agree about the handout to financial services players. I get pretty peeved about 401K constraints, too.

But, in Tigertree’s case, the better investment is for him to invest in his business, yet he’s penalized duly because he doesn’t tie up his money in a financial services firm’s account (401k or HSA). If someone’s interested in having working capital not tied up in financial services gimmick accounts, you get penalized coming and going. Personally I’d rather they abolish all of these tax handout to banks because it only encourages people to stash capital into locked boxes they can’t access except under certain rules, and the people it empowers to then make allocation decisions obviously have no clue what they’re doing (our recent fin serv metldown case in point).

As for saving maximum tax-free capital to respond to health costs in future years, it’s pretty much a lose lose proposition. Health inflation is running somewhere’s upwards 10%/yr, so holding onto capital (even if it’s gaining 6% annually) simply to pay against future health costs may not add up and actually could be the worse choice given that regardless of the amount saved, your purchasing power is getting degraded year over year.

Mung Dal

The waffle place is own by some guy in KY. He is never there.
    Some anonymous poster in the Dispatch article posted quote;

“I guess its OK if One Merchant lives in KY, another half dozen merchants are absent and one merchant brags about a murder in Bosnia, has committed assault and sexual crimes in Poland and has defrauded a former partner and friend for $40k.

Wible has his hands full.”

What is the real reasoning here?

LoudPrincess

Mung Dal wrote >>
    The waffle place is own by some guy in KY. He is never there.
    Some anonymous poster in the Dispatch article posted quote;
    “I guess its OK if One Merchant lives in KY, another half dozen merchants are absent and one merchant brags about a murder in Bosnia, has committed assault and sexual crimes in Poland and has defrauded a former partner and friend for $40k.
    Wible has his hands full.”
    What is the real reasoning here?

Who is that poster talking about? The murder and sexual assault stuff? Holy crap, that’s news to me….

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

If an anonymous troll in the Dispatch forums said it, then it must be true!

How about we leave those comments over there and not drag them over here? Kthx.

LoudPrincess

Walker wrote >>
    If an anonymous troll in the Dispatch forums said it, then it must be true!
    How about we leave those comments over there and not drag them over here? Kthx.

Sorry….

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

FYI… I haven’t been in the market in a few days, but heard that Deli Enterprises vacated on June 30th.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Walker wrote >>
    FYI… I haven’t been in the market in a few days, but heard that Deli Enterprises vacated on June 30th.

Place was wrapped up Thursday when I was there.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 129 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE