Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Barry's ordered out of North Market

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Barry’s ordered out of North Market

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 129 total)
  • Author

turbo ninja
    Participant

JonMyers wrote >>
    Are all owners of North Market businesses required to be present and work from there as well?

I can’t remember the last time I saw Jeni behind the counter in the North Market.

Andrew Hall

JonMyers wrote >>

There must be one massive backstory we are missing.

I would be willing to bet at least a quarter to half of those businesses in the market have outside investment and thus, minority outside ownership. Strange.

First sentence = true.

If you read the piece, the minority owner is now Barry.

Re Many of the other comments : I find it fascinating how people that are so skeptical (to outright hostile) of the Dispatch are willing to take some stories at face value.

Lack of check-cashing, for example, would lead one to believe that this issue has been going on for some time between counsel. Now someone, probably the side who feels it has a losing hand, has taken it to the press.

A.

drew
    Participant

That’s what I was thinking… I’m sure there’s more to the story, but I’m not convinced that what we don’t know would serve to make Barry’s appear to be the sympathetic party in the matter.

JonMyers
    Participant

Andrew, true, but the existence of a promissory note indicates the outside investment went in as a loan or debt.

Roland
    Participant

Is this article correct? I thought Barry no longer worked for Barry’s deli anymore. Hence, the boot.

Andrew Hall

JonMyers wrote >>
    Andrew, true, but the existence of a promissory note indicates the outside investment went in as a loan or debt.

Not necessarily. I would suspect – speculate, really – that the terms of the promissory note could well be what a legal case over “local ownership” could turn.

A.

JonMyers
    Participant

Andrew Hall wrote >>

JonMyers wrote >>

Not necessarily. I would suspect – speculate, really – that the terms of the promissory note could well be what a legal case over “local ownership” could turn.
    A.

True that, I guess we don’t know the details.

gramarye
    Participant

Since when does that stop us from gossiping? :-)

There are definitely a lot of things we don’t know, but the mere fact that Barry’s has been kicked out after a very long run at NM (and a pretty positive relationship with its customers, AFAIK) is news enough to start talking and asking more questions about the things we don’t know.

Also, just colloquially, if someone visiting from out of town asked about a nice, local Columbus deli, Barry’s would immediately come to mind, and I wouldn’t think twice about the technical argument about how they might not be purely “local.” It has a single site (AFAIK), that site is in Columbus, and my first time going there was almost a decade ago now. They’re local enough for my apparently dilute standards.

JonMyers
    Participant

gramarye wrote >> They’re local enough for my apparently dilute standards.

Same here.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

As a member of the North Market Board (though not on the committee that oversees leases and tenant agreements) I’ve held off saying anything until given the go-ahead to be able to set some of the record straight.

Anyway… just to address some of the questions and concerns being raised here:

The North Market has a lease with Barry Rosenthal, not Deli Enterprises.

Deli Enterprises has purchased the business and fired Barry from the business. Barry has not been behind the counter for awhile now.

Deli Enterprises wants the lease transferred to their ownership, and has already had the business listed with a broker for sale.

The North Market maintains a position that we do not and cannot not assign a lease to someone who walks in the door and tells us to change the lease of a current owner who carries a valid lease with the Market.

The Market has asked the new business owners to vacate the premises in an orderly fashion, and have not demanded that they vacate immediately. They have failed to do so, which puts the Market into the position of a possible eviction.

The North Market has reached an agreement with Barry Rosenthal to release him from his lease which means the Market will potentially have a business operating there that does not have a valid lease, putting the market and shoppers at risk for various liabilities.

The bottom line is… Barry was kicked out of his business by Deli Enterprises, not by the North Market.

JonMyers
    Participant

Wow, it seems like a shitty situation for all parties involved.

catnfiddle
    Participant

I had noticed that the one party NOT quoted in that article was Barry, so that silence does say a bit.

Andrew Hall

As I said earlier, maybe people who are so ready to doubt the Dispatch should remember that *all the time.*

eta – And I hope the people who flung insults at Dave Wible have the class to apologize.

A.

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

Thanks for the clarification Walker.

AmyD
    Participant

about letting the lease run out, it’s not really right that a business not following the policies they agreed to would benefit from the location. timing is crappy, but still. the other tenants are paying and following agreements.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 129 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE