Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Barry's ordered out of North Market

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Barry’s ordered out of North Market

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 129 total)
  • Author

deraj1013
    Participant

From the Dispatch…

Deli ordered out

North Market wants it gone immediately because it’s no longer locally owned, but business disputes that

By Tracy Turner

The North Market, which prides itself on housing only locally owned businesses, has asked longtime tenant Barry’s New York Deli to leave, saying it no longer qualifies as a local enterprise.

Read more

JonMyers
    Participant

And… Let the shit storm begin.

There must be one massive backstory we are missing.

I would be willing to bet at least a quarter to half of those businesses in the market have outside investment and thus, minority outside ownership. Strange.

gramarye
    Participant

Ouch. I love the North Market and I’m perfectly fine with the local-only policy (it’s not like there aren’t other places for a place like Barry’s to set up shop), but the demand to vacate immediately or face a lawsuit seems really harsh. That’s particularly true given that legal action could easily take every bit as much time–and far more money–than simply waiting for the lease to expire if everyone at NM has year-to-year leases. We’re almost halfway through 2010 already. I’d say just let them know that the lease has to go to someone else at the end of this year so Barry’s has some lead time to find another home. That would give NM time to find another promising tenant to fill the space, too.

Granted, I’m biased because Barry’s is one of my favorite places in the NM. But still–this “GTFO or we’re sending in the lawyers” message is more the kind of hardball I’m used to seeing from a very different kind of landlord than I imagined NM to be.

JonMyers
    Participant

Yeah, I don’t get it Gram. Really strange as a business decision for the NM. I’m curious enough to dig into the story.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

I love Barry. He has always been a total sweetheart to me, and my sister, when we worked at the market. A wink from Barry would make our day!

I agree with Dave W that the market should be focused on local, but to me, the market without Barry just isn’t the market, and kicking out a long-time and beloved tenant over what amounts to a technicality doesn’t communicate “local love”.

The North Market always seems to have this undercurrent of drama, and sometimes, speaking as a customer and former employess there, it’s offputting.

cc

At one point the North Market was recieving subsidies from the city. I do not know if that is still the case. If they still are, I wonder if maybe local ownership is a contingency.

eta: looks like last subsidized year was 2007, but it seems there is some relationship with the city as it has $1 million in improvements planned for the market.

Probably this is more an internal management, ‘stick up the butt’ thing.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

The NM needs customers.

Barry’s attracts customers.

The NM orders Barry’s out.

NM business FAIL.

JonMyers
    Participant

This episode reminds me how easily manipulated and loose of a term “locally owned” has become.

This caught my attention:

He said the market is trying to evict the deli on the ground that it hasn’t paid rent. But he said the company has sent rent checks to North Market management that the managers have declined to cash.

Wible declined to say whether rent checks have been received. He also declined to detail the lease agreement.

So is he being thrown out for not being locally owned or not paying his rent?

Given that Wible seems to have commented on everything else in such a frank manner, why would he hold back commenting on the receipt or non-receipt of rent checks? It appears he was dodging a double bind.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Wible seems to have it out for poor Barry.

joev
    Participant

Not sure how they’re defining locally owned – I was under the impression that the waffle place was operated out of Cincinnati.

berdawn

I read this in the Dispatch and was really saddened. It seems this all started with Barry’s health problems and now the deli is doing much better. While I think every business needs a succession plan, it’s fucked up to kick out Barry’s just when he needs support.

ETA: “People may be happy with a Starbucks or a Subway or some other national chain, but what we offer here is local and unique” Wible said.
    Barry’s is hardly subway…Wible is a douche.

Anonymous
    Inactive

As I understand it, Barry was telling people that “He was fired” by the new owner, even though the shingle still says “Barry’s.” He hasn’t worked there in months. I don’t know the drama or politics behind it, but Barry has left the building…

JonMyers
    Participant

Are all owners of North Market businesses required to be present and work from there as well?

Anonymous
    Inactive

JonMyers wrote >>
    Are all owners of North Market businesses required to be present and work from there as well?

With multiple locations, I can’t say that CaJohn’s (maybe on Saturdays, when they have “festivals”) or Mozart’s owners are present and working from there… I haven’t seen Firdous owner since Lavash opened. There are probably other examples. Most owners are present and accounted for most of the time.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

joev wrote >>
    Not sure how they’re defining locally owned – I was under the impression that the waffle place was operated out of Cincinnati.

Correct and I’m not sure his partner is even an American citizen.

(both super nice guys btw.)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 129 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE