Our City Online

Messageboard - Nightlife

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Barrel 44

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

chrisat4th

This comment is totally without complaint, and the happy hour at Barrel 44 is still * awesome* but is no longer insane like it was before. In short, small plates are now 5.50 across the board and no longer half off, and the mixed drinks on the menu are now 4.50 instead of the under $3 they were before.

Like I said – still a great deal, and personally I never could understand how the old happy hour could be so good and let them stay in business. But – thought it was worth a post as if you are on a budget the change could come as a shock.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

I really liked a scallop dish they had. Should go back, it’s been awhile!

mbeaumont
    Participant

Mmmm. Love Barrel 44. They don’t get enough attention, imo.

So, I now have to break a dollar bill instead of paying with coins for their fine happy hour? Upsetting….

murfmurphy
    murfmurphy
    Participant

mbeaumont wrote >>
    Mmmm. Love Barrel 44. They don’t get enough attention, imo.

Barrell 44 gets about as much attention as they give. Which is barely any. Had a terrible experience there in November during Gallery Hop. Waited 20 minutes for a drink menu, then another 20 for a dinner menu, and then 15 minutes more before we realized that we weren’t going to be served. It’s a shame, the menu that I saw online looked fantastic, but the unapologetic and bitchy server (and there was only one working. On Gallery Hop night.) really soured my wife on the place. I would be willing to try it again, but I don’t think I’m going to be able to convince the boss.

mbeaumont
    Participant

That sucks, Murf. Don’t blame you for having a bad opinion of them after an experience like that. I’ve never had bad service there, so if you do find yourself another opportunity to try them, maybe give them another shot.

Cats With Thumbs
    Participant

I usually don’t dine (or drive) in the Short North on Gallery Hop nights…because it’s Gallery Hop night!!!! To me it’s just common sense to steer clear of that particular area that one night of the month if I want good service and to avoid a crowded environment.

I’ve been several times both for dinner and drinks, and that place really is completely awesome. I have never been disappointed by either their food, drinks, or service.

berdawn

I would never judge any bar or restaurant based on Hop experience.

murfmurphy
    murfmurphy
    Participant

I wouldn’t blame them either if the service was slow, or there was a long wait. Having said that, there was a definite lack of manpower available on a night when they specifically knew they would have more business. I’ve seen on other reviews where the service has been an issue so it doesn’t seem like our experience was an isolated incident. Hopefully I can make it back, because the food did sound amazing.

Cardiff

Tried Barrel 44 for dinner last night and had a similar experience as Murf – awful service! It was busy but not packed. Were seated right away but then our server disappeared for 25 minutes! Ended up getting drinks at the bar and taking them back to our table. Food was delish and the drinks are always lovely, so will keep going back, but will stick to sitting at the bar.

ps. Barrel 44 has best fries ever! Great flavor with the skin-on and a touch of salt. If you like fries you must try them!

Cardiff

Since I complained about the service in my previous post, I feel I should post about good service. Went this week with a group of seven and the server was excellent! Very helpful with menu suggestions and kept the drinks coming! They still have the best fries in the Short North.

DCist

We go there quite a bit (never for happy hour, sadly) and its usually not super packed, which is a shame, because their rare tuna salad is TO DIE FOR.

That being said, I’ve had some bad experienced with their service, at the bar also. (And I never venture down for Hop)

CycleJackson

Anyone know if they serve lunch anymore?

tolemac5050
    Participant

Barrel 44 opening in former Bexley Monk spot?? Any confirmation this is true??

Taz Devil
    Participant

Barrel 44 is coming to Bexley, but it may be more like Barrel 88.

“It’s going to be the same thing, but much bigger,” said co-owner Matt Nickel of Barrel 44 Whiskey Bar & Restaurant, a supersized version of Barrel 44, the Short North whiskey bar and eatery he and Shawn Korn opened in 2008.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/print-edition/2011/09/30/bexley-monk-space-giving-way-to.html

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

The forum ‘Nightlife’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION