Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Ban Short North Soliciting

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Ban Short North Soliciting

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 91 through 98 (of 98 total)
  • Author

Bear
    Participant

misskitty wrote >>
    I have to note though that I have never had to do a flying round house or rear naked chock on anyone…

I had to look this up. It’s not nearly as much fun as it sounds.

cyclist II
    Participant

Columbus’ first pro football team was named “The Panhandlers”.

BCNation
    Participant

greenhouse1014 wrote >>

howatzer wrote >>

Walker wrote >>

howatzer wrote >>
    Hmmmm…. it seems, by that logic, most of the panhandlers/solicitors should be in Easton or Polaris, but, strangely, there doesn’t seem to be too many out there.

Two words…
    Private Property.

Obviously. My point was that those practices are banned in those places because it’s bad for business. The failure of city police to enforce aggressive panhandling laws is yet another disadvantage for city businesses.

These practices are banned there simply because they can due to the fact that its private property. It’s bad for business everywhere, but the sidewalks on high are not private property so police are more limited in what they can do.

The SN is more centralized than Easton/Polaris, and therefore more accessible for the panhandlers. But as Walker said, both are private property.

But, I think that the panhandlers in general make a lot of people uncomfortable, because it is discouraging for people to hang out, or go out on the town.

And this isn’t limited to the SN, as a couple of people pointed out. In my part of town, there was a man panhandling at the corner across the street from my house and whenever I passed by to catch the bus, I just ignored him, plain and simple.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

howatzer wrote >>
    Obviously. My point was that those practices are banned in those places because it’s bad for business. The failure of city police to enforce aggressive panhandling laws is yet another disadvantage for city businesses.

Agreed. I will say that I have been impressed with the safety/security efforts of the Capitol Crossroads SID. They hire folks to patrol Downtown in uniform and pick up some of the slack that the Columbus Police doesn’t have the manpower for.

I think it would be a great addition to the Short North of they can do something similar.

myliftkk
    Participant

For the record, making a aggressive panhandling complaint stick requires the party to the complaint to stick around and agree to press charges, period. One of the largest reason that it is so difficult to get relief from panhandlers in the SN is due to the fact that very few complainants ever bother to stick out the police process and agree to press charges. The police can’t base a infraction on something they didn’t see unless someone who did see it makes the effort to make the charge stick.

To wit, complaining about panhandling on CU doesn’t help stop panhandling. Complain about it to the cops when and where it happens and then the law provides for some remedy/relief. ;)

@Walker – you’re slightly misinterpreting what the SID people do to stop panhandling. My understanding from discussion on the topic is they in fact stick around if the panhandler doesn’t want to move on and assist as the aggrieved party in making charges stick that the police can then use.

JonMyers
    Participant

myliftkk, I have invested time in doing exactly what you describe. It’s been ineffective.

Like I said earlier, the cops themselves let it happen right before their eyes. In fact, most of the aggressive solicitors know the cops and walk right up their cars after they’ve made their moves and laid their 40s and bags in the bushes in front of the Mac’s lot to have a chat while leaning into the window of the cruiser.

That goes down all the time.

I just saw it happen earlier tonight. An out of his mind, shirtless, methed up freak show doing that same thing. He then crossed the street, nearly got hit and chased down people to yell at them for money.

I can’t for the life of me understand how someone trained in law enforcement would be that oblivious to these things that happen in front of their face in the instances I’ve described.

One would think cops were on the take, if there was something to take.

As BCNation mentioned above, the Short North is very centralized and thus, makes it just as easy to enforce, as it makes it to panhandle.

Unfortunately, we have other priorities like parking$.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

myliftkk wrote >>
    @Walker – you’re slightly misinterpreting what the SID people do to stop panhandling. My understanding from discussion on the topic is they in fact stick around if the panhandler doesn’t want to move on and assist as the aggrieved party in making charges stick that the police can then use.

Yeah, that sounds about right. I didn’t mean to imply that they were arresting or detaining anyone or anything like that. Just stepping up the assistance in enforcement and making it harder for panhandlers to do their thing Downtown.

Trixie
    Participant

It’s against the law to panhandle within 25 feet of a patio and 10 feet of a parking meter. Keep that in mind.

Viewing 8 posts - 91 through 98 (of 98 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE