Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Ban Short North Soliciting

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Ban Short North Soliciting

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 98 total)
  • Author

Bear
    Participant

I spent some time working in a homeless shelter in D.C., and one of the first things that I learned there was that a remarkable percentage of homeless people — a clear majority in that time and place — are people with mental illnesses who have nowhere else to go. The population of the shelter fluctuated very substantially with the provision of social services for people with mental illness: it was the single largest predictor of variation in shelter population, much more substantial than poverty. And a lot of the people in the shelters hit the streets to panhandle during the day.

All of which is to say: if you want to fix a problem, understand its cause.

lisathewaitress
    Participant

ugh. i experience this the other day walking from bodega to mojoe lounge, where I was approached by 3 people with clipboards. Fortunately i had my headphones on so i just gave a big idiotic smile and kept right on going.

But it’s extremely irritating. I don’t like talking to people when I’m walking down the street – I have places to go. But I also don’t like being mean, I know they’re just doing their job.

I love this though, from Hugh:

The world is not arranged for my pleasure or convenience. If I see a panhandler, I will go out of my way to avoid him or her.

I don’t necessarily think soliciting should be banned; it’s part of living in a city.

CDS sherman

jon i feel your pain….. bodega is a hott bed for beggars. cant stand it dont like it and would love to see it go away. i have had everything from women piss on my truck in the lot next to macs to street hustlers try and attack me after i tell them to get lost. been over it for at least 10 years.

over in here in franklinton one day we had a guy approach us in our lot. im with a customer and this guy asked for change. i said no he then asked my customer so i asked him to leave, he gets upset i ask him to get off my property, he then threatens to stab me then he picks up a large chunk of asphalt and holds it over his head, he then throws it on the ground peppering our legs and feet with chunks of rock. i call the police and he then threatens to burn down my building…. pat then emerges from the building with a paintball gun and lights the asshole up. the guy runs down the street, police show up haggle the guy for a bit and then leave. the officer comes back and tells us that he was a panhandler who got out of control in the short north and the police dumped him off down here. he also explained that is common practice with the police, beggars get outta hand move them to somewhere else. ridiculous.

i was born and raised in the SN, had lived there for 20 years or so. the area has changed dramatically, the type of crime has changed somewhat, rather then the murders, assaults, and intimidating gang activity its been replaced with break ins, car smash and grabs and panhandling. would rather take the latter of course. what grinds my gears the most are the parking lot attendants and the lack of enforcement of the police in dealing with there shenanigans. im sure its legal for them to stand there and and ask for change but its not legal to urinate, consume booze or change cloths in public which is all things i have witnessed. for the last several years i have been yelling at folks who give them money. it embarrasses the shit out of both parties. i too ignore them but i have been known to say some words from time to time.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Bear wrote >>
    I spent some time working in a homeless shelter in D.C., and one of the first things that I learned there was that a remarkable percentage of homeless people — a clear majority in that time and place — are people with mental illnesses who have nowhere else to go. The population of the shelter fluctuated very substantially with the provision of social services for people with mental illness: it was the single largest predictor of variation in shelter population, much more substantial than poverty. And a lot of the people in the shelters hit the streets to panhandle during the day.
    All of which is to say: if you want to fix a problem, understand its cause.

Would that there was an effective cure for mental illness / substance abuse. Warehousing seems to lead to Camarillo like problems…

That said, after reading about it here, I pick up a street speech newspaper when I see the guy at the north market. Probably makes me a schmuck with an excess of emotion… nothing new there, unfortunately.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

I’m with Sherm. I’ll gladly take the minor inconveniences that inhabit the area now over the short-north-posse, dealers, hookers, and gunfire that used to be common in the area when I was there back in the 80s.

CDS sherman

Rockmastermike wrote >>
    I’m with Sherm. I’ll gladly take the minor inconveniences that inhabit the area now over the short-north-posse, dealers, hookers, and gunfire that used to be common in the area when I was there back in the 80s.

dont forget Harrison Wests own Michigan boyz…

blammo
    Participant

CDS sherman wrote >>

Rockmastermike wrote >>

dont forget Harrison Wests own Michigan boyz…

heh, remember the piece of crap that was the Michigan Market? nice rattle-can signage, lol. I also recall the repeated arson of every attempt at “yuppie” development in Harrison West back in the early 90’s.

JonMyers
    Participant

Sherm and Miss Kitty nailed it for me. It’s the type of solicitation that you both describe, which I’ve noticed a large increase in over the last two years. This summer the behavior you both described, and similar aggressive solicitations, which I’ve experienced from a larger random pool of people have seen a huge increase.

If you bump into a friend or colleague on the street and a solicitor physically inserts themselves in between you and your friend and begins making demands it’s hard to “just keep walking”.

Additionally, it’s hard to “just keep walking” if someone is following you, screaming at you or they have caught you in a moment where you have to be fixed (sitting outside on private property, parking your car, the ATM or locking up your bike).

Aside from being annoying, the solicitations are acts of aggression designed to intimidate people into giving money. The volume of this occurring translates into economic costs.

People don’t want to come back.

Visitors are hesitant to return if they know they’re going to be fielding this volume and and type of aggression.

As Roy mentioned, there are laws on the books designed to block this type of solicitation. Unfortunately, I see this aggression play out right in front of cops all the time. Nothing is being done.

On the subject of solicitors like Bill. That’s a different type of solicitation and it doesn’t bother me. I do keep walking. Some days I give him money. I’ve invested my own time in trying to get him help.

Regarding the signature gatherers, banning them was just wishful thinking.

Bear
    Participant

JonMyers wrote >>
    Aside from being annoying, the solicitations are acts of aggression designed to intimidate people into giving money. The volume of this occurring translates into economic costs.

This sounds like a form of behavior that could be distinguished from ordinary solicitation or panhandling. In fact, there seem to be “aggressive solicitation” laws and ordinances on the books elsewhere, and we’ve discussed it here before.

JonMyers
    Participant

Bear wrote >>

JonMyers wrote >>

This sounds like a form of behavior that could be distinguished from ordinary solicitation or panhandling. In fact, there seem to be “aggressive solicitation” laws and ordinances on the books elsewhere, and we’ve discussed it here before.

Yep, the title of the thread should have been – Enforce Aggressive Solicitation Laws

howatzer
    Participant

Walker wrote >>

howatzer wrote >>
    Hmmmm…. it seems, by that logic, most of the panhandlers/solicitors should be in Easton or Polaris, but, strangely, there doesn’t seem to be too many out there.

Two words…
    Private Property.

Obviously. My point was that those practices are banned in those places because it’s bad for business. The failure of city police to enforce aggressive panhandling laws is yet another disadvantage for city businesses.

misskitty
    Participant

Sherm and Miss Kitty nailed it for me. It’s the type of solicitation that you both describe, which I’ve noticed a large increase in over the last two years. This summer the behavior you both described, and similar aggressive solicitations, which I’ve experienced from a larger random pool of people have seen a huge increase.

I have to note though that I have never had to do a flying round house or rear naked chock on anyone lol. If they don’t want to take no I usually flash the crazy eye. Every women has one it’s a good mechanism lol

greenhouse1014
    Participant

howatzer wrote >>

Walker wrote >>

howatzer wrote >>
    Hmmmm…. it seems, by that logic, most of the panhandlers/solicitors should be in Easton or Polaris, but, strangely, there doesn’t seem to be too many out there.

Two words…
    Private Property.

Obviously. My point was that those practices are banned in those places because it’s bad for business. The failure of city police to enforce aggressive panhandling laws is yet another disadvantage for city businesses.

These practices are banned there simply because they can due to the fact that its private property. It’s bad for business everywhere, but the sidewalks on high are not private property so police are more limited in what they can do.

Tigertree

I mentioned it in passing earlier, but has anyone done any research to find out who the “got a minute for the environment/lake erie/child slavery…” folks are? Not the kids in the sombreros (he is back today, by the way) but the actual organization. I either see it being a good organization with bad tactics which would give the businesses who feel they are being negatively effected, a chance to step in and help them modify their approach to better match the neighborhood; or a con that could probably be stopped with appropriate information.

JonMyers
    Participant

What about when someone on the sidewalk leans on a rail and is soliciting patrons on a patio?

I’ve been working outside at MoJoe all day and have seen it happen about six or seven times so far.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 98 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE