Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Ban Short North Soliciting

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Ban Short North Soliciting

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 98 total)
  • Author

Aaron Marshall wrote >>
    The self-absorbed navel gazing on here knows no bounds.

The personal insults are uncalled for. Keep it civil.

kessler
    Participant

I’m curious about the undo convention (The Christian youth council that was/or is being held at the convention center) and how many of these young kids in the short north over this past week are in town attending. Maybe the increase is just the youth of tomorrow attempting to do their part by helping with the “effort” to get signatures. Just curious

It has been just insane at how close to each other these passionate signature collectors have been in the past week. I wonder if this sombrero wearer is the same kid I passed who had on an umbrella hat, He’d be great at the fair at one of those booths doing the demos.

JonMyers
    Participant

Kessler, I’m not sure there’s any relationship.

I do know that some groups of Christian kids were walking into Short North businesses asking if they could scrub toilets. Laugh like we may at the absurdity, at least they’re offering something of value, which is better than an able bodied person with their hand out or shoving a pen in your hand.

JonMyers
    Participant

I do know that some groups of Christian kids were walking into Short North businesses asking if they could scrub toilets. Laugh like we may at the absurdity, at least they’re offering something of value, which is better than an able bodied person with their hand out or some dumb ass jumping in front of you trying to shove a pen in your hand.

Paul
    Participant

To the die-hard 1st Amendment people on here: So does that also mean that I can yell fire in a crowded theater?

Or that I can engage in:

(2) Making unreasonable noise or an offensively coarse utterance, gesture, or display or communicating unwarranted and grossly abusive language to any person;

(4) Hindering or preventing the movement of persons on a public street, road, highway, or right-of-way, or to, from, within, or upon public or private property, so as to interfere with the rights of others, and by any act that serves no lawful and reasonable purpose of the offender;

?

The Ohio Revised Code says no.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2917.11

I’m as much a fan of the freedom of speech as any reasonable person, but your rights end where mine begin. And I consider walking down a public street without being harassed by strangers to be a personal right.

ja

JonMyers wrote >>
    I do know that some groups of Christian kids were walking into Short North businesses asking if they could scrub toilets. Laugh like we may at the absurdity, at least they’re offering something of value, which is better than an able bodied person with their hand out or shoving a pen in your hand.

You need to learn how to simply “walk on by.” Unless you’re some sort of drama queen in which you need to take whatever talents you have to Broadway, get over it.

rustbelt
    Participant

The first amendment does not protect solicitation – thus we have the ‘do not call’ registry.

The First Amendment undeniably protects solicitation. But don’t take my word for it. It’s the U.S. Supreme Court that’s said so. More than once.

The “do not call” registry is a slightly different animal. In that context, courts see it as government helping to facilitate peoples’ ability to block unwanted calls. That is, it’s people making the decision to limit such calls, not the Government’s.

rustbelt
    Participant

Does that mean I can stand on the public sidewalk by the ATM and ask for money? Better yet, just linger on the sidewalk in front of Hyde Park with a credit card terminal and ask those driving the fancy rides to give a swipe the moment they set foot on the sidewalk.

No. Both are illegal in Columbus.

Speaking of what’s illegal in Columbus, if the city’s going to have laws against aggressive panhanding, I wish they would enforce them against the Newsies, firefighters & others who literally stand in intersections & block traffic to solicit. They’re far more annoying than the small number of run-of-the-mill panhandlers in Short North.

cc

have fun in NYC

Working in a bar downtown I’ve had to deal with aggressive panhandlers, but for each agressive panhandler that was more than just a mere ‘annoyance’, there are an equal amount of awful people who insult or even assault solicitors. I don’t care how annoying you think a homeless guy selling you a newspaper is…no one deserves to be shoved or spat on.

columbusfoodie
    Participant

unejoliefille wrote >>
    Working in a bar downtown I’ve had to deal with aggressive panhandlers, but for each agressive panhandler that was more than just a mere ‘annoyance’, there are an equal amount of awful people who insult or even assault solicitors. I don’t care how annoying you think a homeless guy selling you a newspaper is…no one deserves to be shoved or spat on.

I agree completely. A while back, I witnessed someone assault the poor guy who sells the homeless newspaper near the North Market. Luckily, some Good Samaritan got to him before I was able to and scared the other guy off.

I tend to respond in kind to how I’m approached. If you approach me politely, and ask for money, signature, etc. I usually say no, but am polite about it and make small talk/wish them a nice day.

If a solicitor for a petition approaches me about something I usually tell them I already signed it elsewhere which backs them off.

If someone blocks my path, assaults me, tries to intimidate me, etc. then I’m calling the cops and taking measures to defend myself. Hairspray is great for self defense if necessary. I fortunately have never been put into a position where this has been a problem for me.

For me, I think a lot of it has to do with growing up near Philadelphia, PA, Camden, NJ and Atlantic City, NJ. It makes the stuff in Columbus seem like child’s play.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

I am selfish and sometimes a bit introverted. I just want to be left alone so I can get lost in my thoughts while I walk.

When I go for my walks, I want to relax and I don’t want to be bothered. Someone asking me a question as I walk by qualifies as “a bother.” Of course, a peregrine falcon falling out of the sky right in front of me also qualifies as “a bother.”

The world is not arranged for my pleasure or convenience. If I see a panhandler, I will go out of my way to avoid him or her.

Banning panhandling might be a violation of the First Amendment; however, city governments have the power to regulate the time, place, and manner of speech…including panhandling.

roy
    Participant

hugh59 wrote >>
    Banning panhandling might be a violation of the First Amendment; however, city governments have the power to regulate the time, place, and manner of speech…including panhandling.

Columbus does regulate begging. It’s banned during hours of darkness. It’s banned near parking facilities, bus stops, sidewalk cafes, ATMs, banks and check cashing places. For more information see Columbus City Codes 2333.

cyclist II
    Participant

I use alleyways and side streets often. No panhandlers, no drug dealers, often better lit, quieter, little traffic, no loud buses. I’m glad the bus stop at 1st and High is no longer a late night drug market.

I find many of the A-frame signs for businesses blocking the sidewalk more annoying than panhandlers. Some places only one person at a time can pass.

I like Street Speech newspaper. Usually one decent article. They are going to publish two editions a month now. Street Speech provides income for over 100 vendors and sells more than 10,000 copies a month.

misskitty
    Participant

I am on the wall about panhandling and soliciting. I almost always can get by with saying no thanks but on occasion there are the some that take a little more force when saying no to them.

As far as the street speech paper I think it’s a great way to help out people but I can’t help wonder why in downtown they are on every corner. Personally I would spread myself out and not lose business to an over saturated area myself.

One thing I was thinking the other day and it could just be me but on my walk into work down Long st I have been dealing with more and more people daily that make me uncomfortable. Let me be clear that I don’t get uncomfortable around homeless people or even most people that talk to themselves it’s a non issue for me. But recently there have been more and more people walking that stretch that are screaming at people or me and they way are walking and how their fists are positioned. I always pay attention to body language because it says a lot and if someone is presenting themselves as edgy or hostile it makes me nervous like I have to be on guard just in case . Not to mention a few times I have got that rancid gut feeling that something is not right. That may sound really silly but you know what i’m talking about that is not usually a feeling to be disregarded.

It breaks my heart to see people in a bad place and just reading this thread makes me think of Bill

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 98 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: