Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Ban Short North Soliciting

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Ban Short North Soliciting

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 98 total)
  • Author

JonMyers
    Participant

Ja, I’m actually moving to New York. I vacated my apartment yesterday.

This issue among many others is an indicator that influences my decision of where to base my life and business. That and love interests.

The solicitation indicator among many, many others is why I chose not to move to SF (from a pure business perspective it’s where I should be) vs. NY, which has a better quality of life balanced with business, which suits my particular skills and aspirations.

I’ve lived in NY before and have spent enough time in SF to get the feel for living there. I don’t think this has to be a tolerable part of the urban fabric of a city.

I don’t think you have to move to the suburbs to avoid that kind of stuff.

I still have business and community interests in the neighborhood, which is why I’ve raised the issue.

What big cities have you lived in or visited long enough to have a relevant contrast and frame of reference of what one should expect as a tolerable level of aggressive solicitation?

ja

Good luck in NYC where you will have to get over your hangup with solicitors. We have been fortunate to have the means to have traveled the world and most major cities therein in response to your “need to know.” As stated previously, we have found it to be common in all major cities.

MOREOVER, please know that you always have a choice on whether you CHOOSE TO engage with those whose solicit or NOT. BE HAPPY!

JonMyers
    Participant

I travel to NYC about once every six weeks and have since I’ve lived here. I lived there prior to Columbus. I couldn’t tell you the last time I was solicited, which is one of my points.

It’s not necessarily an expected big city thing.

ja

JonMyers wrote >>
    I travel to NYC about once every six weeks and have since I’ve lived here. I lived there prior to Columbus. I couldn’t tell you the last time I was solicited, which is one of my points.
    It’s not necessarily an expected big city thing.

Branch out a bit.

Patrick Crawford
    Participant

This conversation is getting a little goofy.

With that said, I spent 7 years in Philly and Id have to say that i have way more people stopping me on the street here than I ever did there. I’m not really bothered too much by the panhandlers which seem to be able to take my, “I don’t have anything for you today” (when i don’t) but am extraordinarily annoyed with all the kids w/ their causes who don’t know how to take no for an answer.

I think one of the great things about urban life is the juxtaposition of wealth and poverty in close geographic proximity. I think it’s good for us to be exposed to, and share with those who have legitimate need. This is what keeps me from moving to the ‘burbs and putting my kids in private school.

On the other hand, if another bourgeois kid trying to save the earth on behalf of his crooked, exploitive, pseudo-environmentally conscience bosses follows me down the street arguing with me I’m going to lose it.

Sorry, just realized I started to rant a bit.

Anyway Jon, my point is, I’m with you—maybe not about the panhandling but certainly about the soliciting.

alove
    alove
    Participant

I lived in downtown Chicago (inside the El loop) for a half year and I think it goes without saying that the panhandling and soliciting is a lot worse in Chicago. Granted, Chicago’s a much larger city, but the SN sees a large amount (maybe the most?) of pedestrian traffic within Columbus. It only makes sense that’s where people go to to get signatures or hand-outs.

I’m surprised you’re complaining about it since you have apparently spent a lot of time in NYC and SF.

Not to sound mean, but I think you just need to get over it. You live in an urban area.

howatzer
    Participant

alove wrote >>
    I lived in downtown Chicago (inside the El loop) for a half year and I think it goes without saying that the panhandling and soliciting is a lot worse in Chicago. Granted, Chicago’s a much larger city, but the SN sees a large amount (maybe the most?) of pedestrian traffic within Columbus. It only makes sense that’s where people go to to get signatures or hand-outs.

Hmmmm…. it seems, by that logic, most of the panhandlers/solicitors should be in Easton or Polaris, but, strangely, there doesn’t seem to be too many out there.

Gotta love the whole “if you don’t like it, you should move somewhere else” argument. I feel like I’ve heard that one before somewhere…

ETA: I wonder if there was a CU board 20 years ago, people’s complaints about the short north would have been met with similar attitudes. More interestingly, what would the short north be like now if that attitude had prevailed.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

howatzer wrote >>
    Hmmmm…. it seems, by that logic, most of the panhandlers/solicitors should be in Easton or Polaris, but, strangely, there doesn’t seem to be too many out there.

Two words…

Private Property.

ja

Should we prohibit panhandlers/solicitors like we do prostitutes/drug users? It’s worked so well over the centuries. Get real!

The Hegemo

I guess I’ve been lucky, because, although I have been approached by panhandlers many times in the Short North, I’ve never had any act aggressive or threatening there. The only place in Columbus I’ve had a panhandler act in a somewhat threatening manner was by campus.

I used to live in Kingston, Ontario, which is a fraction of the size of Columbus (about 120k), and there were far more panhandlers there than I’ve ever encountered in Columbus. I’d walk down Princess and get hit up at least once a block. One variation we had in Kingston (and also in bigger Canadian cities I’ve spent a lot of time in, mostly Ottawa and Toronto) that I’ve never really encountered in Columbus is the street kids. A very high percentage of the panhandlers I encountered when I lived in Canada were teenagers. I can’t think of a time when I’ve ever been panhandled by a kid in Columbus…

NoCowsGo

NoCowsGo

Banning soliciting is very likely a First Amendment violation, and in my opinion (regardless of what a court actually would decide), should be a First Amendment violation.

First Amendment jurisprudence deems streets, sidewalks, and parks as “traditional public forums” – places for communication and discussion – and laws restricting speech in those places are given extra-high scrutiny. Any such law must serve a “compelling government interest” and be “narrowly tailored”. A law broadly banning solicitation would very likely fail this test, since it limits a wide variety of speech in a traditional public forum. The mode of speech is not dangerous but merely irritating. You can see an example of a law which a court found sufficiently narrowly tailored here. Note that the decision was based on concerns about car traffic flow and safety, not the annoying nature of the speech.

We shouldn’t be in the business of banning speech that is annoying, unpopular, or unsightly. Yes, I hate panhandlers and solicitors too.

Patrick Crawford
    Participant

Good point. I agree. There are already too many encroachments upon our speech/freedoms I wouldn’t want to add to the problem just to rid myself of an annoyance.

Aaron Marshall
    Participant

howatzer wrote >>

Aaron Marshall wrote >>
    The First Amendment sure is a pain in the ass.

The first amendment does not protect solicitation – thus we have the ‘do not call’ registry.

I’m 100 percent positive that people on public streets can say whatever in the hell they want to you.

The self-absorbed navel gazing on here knows no bounds.

JonMyers
    Participant

Does that mean I can stand on the public sidewalk by the ATM and ask for money? Better yet, just linger on the sidewalk in front of Hyde Park with a credit card terminal and ask those driving the fancy rides to give a swipe the moment they set foot on the sidewalk.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 98 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION