Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Ban Short North Soliciting

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Ban Short North Soliciting

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 98 total)
  • Author

roy
    Participant

I understand the ShNo Special Improvement District (SID) is considering spending funds on security like the downtown and Discovery District SIDs. Most SIDs invest in security/cleanliness and this would be a welcome change in the Short North.

chaptal
    Participant

Core_Models wrote >>
    Honestly JM, other than threads on C/U I don’t think about homeless or solicitation at all. I’m not saying it shouldn’t bother you, I’m simply saying it doesn’t bother me. Guy asks me for money, sometimes I give sometimes I don’t. Guy asks me to sign something, sometimes I do sometimes I don’t. Either way, I’ve forgotten that it happened within 45 seconds of the event.

It’s hard to forget when, 45 seconds of one event, there’s another, and 45 seconds later, another. It really is far from the worst thing that can happen in an evening, but when it’s on nearly every corner it gets quite irritating.

colrex7

I just did a little research and it appears that several cities have banned panhandling all together, Chicago, Atlanta, Orlando and several others. I’m curious what city hall’s opinion on banning or regulating panhandling in Columbus would be?

But its just like everything else…its okay in moderation. But if it happens too much, it can pose problems.

roy
    Participant
    Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

If some of the people in the Short North took no for an answer it would be better. They seem to follow you and continue to pester.

roy
    Participant

Anne wrote >>
    If some of the people in the Short North took no for an answer it would be better. They seem to follow you and continue to pester.

Say NOT TODAY in a firm tone and don’t make eye contact or change your pace. If that doesn’t work call CPD’s radio room at 645-4545, describe the person menacing you and your location. Obviously if it’s a more urgent criminal issue call 911.

Lakee911
    Participant

lifeontwowheels wrote >>
    I must have perfected the “Fuck Off” body language after working downtown. A quick step, a pair of sunglasses and an ability to ignore people works pretty effectively.

Works for me too! Then again, I have perfected the art of being a prick. I’m a pro! :)

Actually if they are asking for money or I just don’t have time I ignore them and keep going. If I do stop and they want a signature or raising a hoot about a cause, I always stop them and ask if they are wanting money. Half of the time we can end it right there. I’m always very polite (if I didn’t just ignore them), yet firm, and they leave me alone.

Core_Models

drew wrote >>
    Not to get all Chuck Norris about it, but if someone actually physically blocked my path as I was walking down the street, I’d be sorely tempted to walk over them.
    I suppose, generally speaking, that I haven’t been too concerned about the panhandlers. They’ve rarely been a notable annoyance, save for the one time I saw a couple of them fighting.
    The petitioning, though, is definitely increasing in frequency and aggressiveness and is not appreciated.

Yeah, don’t get me wrong, I’d have a very different response if someone was jumping up in my face and physically engaging me in any way. I’ve never had that happen though. The one time I saw it happen to someone else, I got involved and it was over very quickly.

Talcott

lifeontwowheels wrote >>
    I must have perfected the “Fuck Off” body language after working downtown. A quick step, a pair of sunglasses and an ability to ignore people works pretty effectively.

Same here. That or I seem to be able to make myself invisible. If does help that I often have ear buds in while I’m walking, but I just tend to ignore people or say a quick “sorry” and keep going. I’ve never had anyone jump in front of me to block my path.

Maybe I just don’t look like I have any money ;-)

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

I always stop them and ask if they are wanting money. Half of the time we can end it right there.

As my sister said long ago, “If I give you a quarter, will you go away?”

JonMyers
    Participant

As most of you can tell or know, I’ve mastered the art of prickery.

I usually do the ignore and that mostly works, but not well enough lately. Especially when people are yelling at you, doing stupid stunts or following you.

Maybe I need to step up my prickness.

Aaron Marshall
    Participant

The First Amendment sure is a pain in the ass.

howatzer
    Participant

Aaron Marshall wrote >>
    The First Amendment sure is a pain in the ass.

The first amendment does not protect solicitation – thus we have the ‘do not call’ registry.

howatzer
    Participant

Core_Models wrote >>

howatzer wrote >>
    I’d settle for just getting bums to stop urinating/deficating/barfing upon the couch sculpture next to magnolia thunderpussy.

Those aren’t bums.

Sorry – I assumed that the people I see there in the morning are sleeping in their own excrement.

ja

JonMyers wrote >>
    We have the idiotic signature gathering efforts of individuals posted all over the Short North.
    “Do you have a minute for the environment?”
    “Do you have a minute for jobs?”
    It’s basically exploiters using dumb kids and stunts that try and force you to engage. It’s infuriating.
    We also have the crackheads with their hands out asking for money who are nice enough to call men sir and approach them directly at their car window before they even get out.
    Lastly, we have the Columbus Coalition for the Homeless arming people with those worthless newspapers with instructions to come to the neighborhood with their hand out and “ask for donations.”.
    The constant interruptions are really annoying. It kills business, is a quality of life issue and thus, limits growth opportunities for the neighborhood.
    The moment a visitor parks a car, motorcycle or bike in our neighborhood they are likely to have to push away at least four solicitations as they walk down High street.
    If you’re a resident, forget it. You’re going to get hammered constantly.
    Is there any policy or enforcement mechanism to put a stop to soliciting?
    Is anyone else fed up with the non-stop solicitations?</blockquote

What we need is more political activism, not political apathy. I personally think it’s great that young adults and others are out there soliciting for whatever their cause. I suggest you move to the suburbs if this activity is too much for you. It’s very common in urban settings throughout the world.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 98 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: