Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Ban Short North Soliciting

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Ban Short North Soliciting

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 98 total)
  • Author

buckeye212

The Short North shouldn’t be the only neighborhood with a ban on solicitation. If you can’t solicit in the Short than there shouldn’t be any soliciting in Columbus.

alison

DavidF wrote >>
    Downside of free speech. I’d rather have it than the alternatives.

+1
    It’s an urban environment, with urban complications. Do I like it? No, but if I was that obsesive about personal sphere i’d live out in the country.

cc

I think it has to be accepted as a part of urban life in a free society.

that said…

I once saw a couple of panhandlers start working the Grandview strip from Stauf’s to Giant Eagle. They didn’t last long. Columbus Police showed up, talked with them for awhile and then they walked away. They would not have illicited a second glance in the SN. This was a couple of years ago and I have not seen other panhandlers there since.

Core_Models

I’ve never been bothered by it, still am not. City living comes with some hassles, this is a pretty minor one, IMO. People sell stuff to live, including myself (and probably 90% of the posters here in an indirect way at least). The whole idea that this is taking up enormous amounts of any one’s time seems a bit self absorbed. You probably spend more time pooping every day than dealing with strangers who want stuff.

cc

+1 Core

I never really thought about it, but many of us are ‘professional’ panhandlers in many ways.

JonMyers
    Participant

The sombero kid that Chaptal describes was the impetus for me starting this thread in the first place.

When someone jumps into the middle of the sidewalk, starts screaming at you as you approach, is nearly blocking your path and then starts following you if you don’t respond or say no that’s an issue.

It’s an issue because you are aggressively being forced to engage in something you didn’t ask for, nor want and it’s an issue because it happens over and over again.

I don’t see this as having to be a normal thing based on my time visiting and living in other cities.

It depends on what urban environment you’re talking about if the volume of solicitations in Columbus is the comparable norm to city living in other places.

I couldn’t tell you the last time I was panhandled in New York. It maybe happens a few times a year. On the other hand, San Francisco is miserable and gets worse every time I visit. A ten minute walk through that city could easily result in fighting off three very aggressive interactions you’re forced to engage in.

And yes I agree, we’re all selling something and have sold. That’s not the issue. My issue is with the tactic of aggressive interruption and forced interaction.

I don’t mind panhandling if I can politely decline or nod. I do mind being yelled at, blocked and followed.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

“I’m too high” generally works for the signature gatherers.

howatzer
    Participant

I’d settle for just getting bums to stop urinating/deficating/barfing upon the couch sculpture next to magnolia thunderpussy.

Core_Models

howatzer wrote >>
    I’d settle for just getting bums to stop urinating/deficating/barfing upon the couch sculpture next to magnolia thunderpussy.

Those aren’t bums.

Tigertree

That’s a good point about New York Vs. San Francisco you bring up Jon, I have noticed that as well. I don’t mind the homeless guys, every urban neighborhood I have lived in has its characters that I remember as well as the bar or restaurant I favored there. The got a minute for ______ kids are a different story. I don’t know if anyone has investigated the organization but it feels extremely dishonest to me. It is also worth pointing out the difference between a homeless guy mumbling about change while sitting on a wall, and three people blocking your walk and asking for your credit card number.

Core_Models

It is also worth pointing out the difference between a homeless guy mumbling about change while sitting on a wall, and three people blocking your walk and asking for your credit card number.

The homeless guy gets less commission.

JonMyers
    Participant

All cities will have the homeless and soliciting. The level of aggression associated with panhandling and soliciting has served as a good indicator for me of how well a city is run.

How well a city is run, and what you’re day to day looks like in that city is what guides my decision of where to live, dine and shop.

I would imagine most of you operate consciously or unconsciously in a similar fashion.

Core_Models

Honestly JM, other than threads on C/U I don’t think about homeless or solicitation at all. I’m not saying it shouldn’t bother you, I’m simply saying it doesn’t bother me. Guy asks me for money, sometimes I give sometimes I don’t. Guy asks me to sign something, sometimes I do sometimes I don’t. Either way, I’ve forgotten that it happened within 45 seconds of the event.

JonMyers
    Participant

I think of it more because I’m easily hit up at least 6 – 10 times a day working and living in the neighborhood. Thus, four hours of my month or two days of every year are easily stolen, not including opportunity cost that the interruptions cost you in thought.

Soliciting and panhandling is also one of the number one things visitors remark upon when visiting the district. It’s not a good thing. It costs businesses money and harms the growth of the district.

drew
    Participant

Not to get all Chuck Norris about it, but if someone actually physically blocked my path as I was walking down the street, I’d be sorely tempted to walk over them.

I suppose, generally speaking, that I haven’t been too concerned about the panhandlers. They’ve rarely been a notable annoyance, save for the one time I saw a couple of them fighting.

The petitioning, though, is definitely increasing in frequency and aggressiveness and is not appreciated.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 98 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE