Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Ban Short North Soliciting

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Ban Short North Soliciting

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 98 total)
  • Author

JonMyers
    Participant

We have the idiotic signature gathering efforts of individuals posted all over the Short North.

“Do you have a minute for the environment?”

“Do you have a minute for jobs?”

It’s basically exploiters using dumb kids and stunts that try and force you to engage. It’s infuriating.

We also have the crackheads with their hands out asking for money who are nice enough to call men sir and approach them directly at their car window before they even get out.

Lastly, we have the Columbus Coalition for the Homeless arming people with those worthless newspapers with instructions to come to the neighborhood with their hand out and “ask for donations.”.

The constant interruptions are really annoying. It kills business, is a quality of life issue and thus, limits growth opportunities for the neighborhood.

The moment a visitor parks a car, motorcycle or bike in our neighborhood they are likely to have to push away at least four solicitations as they walk down High street.

If you’re a resident, forget it. You’re going to get hammered constantly.

Is there any policy or enforcement mechanism to put a stop to soliciting?

Is anyone else fed up with the non-stop solicitations?

greenhouse1014
    Participant

chrisat4th

I actually agree that it is a problem. The law is really open for it right now though – my ex wife got scammed by someone a few years ago, and what I found from that experiance is that it is actually even ok to lie to someone to get money. Soliciting is actually not even a little bit against the law unless you are actually being threatening.

Paul
    Participant

I agree that it is extremely irritating and bad for business.

I used to live in Victorian Village, and I couldn’t walk down High St. to pick up a pizza without getting panhandled at least twice.

While Columbus does have big city aspirations, is soliciting/panhandling really the aspects of a ‘big city’ that they want to embody?

chaptal
    Participant

We were out last night and got hit up to save the environment by some doofus in a sombrero. Then there was another for Save the Children, and a third to save Lake Erie. They seem to be taking the panhandlers turf as were were not approached by any last night, a rare feat.

After dinner we were again approached by sombrero kid to save the environment.

DavidF
    Participant

Downside of free speech. I’d rather have it than the alternatives.

Tenzo
    Participant

chaptal wrote >>
    We were out last night and got hit up to save the environment by some doofus in a sombrero. Then there was another for Save the Children, and a third to save Lake Erie. They seem to be taking the panhandlers turf as were were not approached by any last night, a rare feat.

You don’t care about Lake Erie, the environment or children!?

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

I must have perfected the “Fuck Off” body language after working downtown. A quick step, a pair of sunglasses and an ability to ignore people works pretty effectively.

blammo
    Participant

fuck those fuckers

chaptal
    Participant

Tenzo wrote >>

chaptal wrote >>

You don’t care about Lake Erie, the environment or children!?

Not when I need to get a drink, no.

Anonymous
    Inactive

One time I made it from the brewery (Barley’s) to the North Market without somebody asking me for money. “SORRY!, DON’T HAVE ANY EXTRA MONEY!” is all I gotta say…

columbusfoodie
    Participant

Not saying the constant soliciting isn’t annoying, but what else do you expect to happen when a formerly blighted area gets revitalized?

Just because it’s *the* place to live, work, and play these days doesn’t mean that those who used to live, work and play there (with all of the negative connotations that had over a decade ago) still don’t have a stake in doing so. Same distance from home, on the bus route, and plenty of money/people/traffic. It’s a price of gentrification.

I can remember hanging out at Salem West back in the day and there were people walking in there harassing poor AJ’s customers trying to get them to buy stolen steaks from the Kroghetto.

Still, wouldn’t trade any of it. Any way you cut it, the area is a whole lot safer than it used to be. I’m perfectly capable of saying “no”. There are ways to do it without being a douche. That’s usually all it takes.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I try to say ” SORRY!, DON’T HAVE ANY EXTRA MONEY!” without sounding like that… But i really don’t have any extra money…

CheeseFoodie
    Participant

LOL… had some kid last night try to sell my the Dispatch, I told him “I’m unemployed right now and can’t afford it”, he said “but I only need one more point to get my trip to…”.

I did register voters today for the holiday, so I hope registering voters doesn’t count as soliciting.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 98 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE