Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

1831 Tavern - Balls, Bar, More (New Restaurant Replacing The Jury Room)

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining 1831 Tavern – Balls, Bar, More (New Restaurant Replacing The Jury Room)

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    murfmurphy
    murfmurphy
    Participant

I am so behind on this (no pun intended).

Pun taken! I can’t wait for them to eventually take over the Tiki Room or Dirty Frank’s or the Surly Girl for a new pulled pork concept restaurant. What’s the name? Butts

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant
    MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

1831 Tavern: Balls Bar is decidedly better than Balls.

Looking forward to trying it out very soon.

whopper jr
    whopper jr
    Participant

1831 Tavern: Balls Bar is decidedly better than Balls.

Looking forward to trying it out very soon.

Opening an establishment with the address or the opening year in the name is so passe.

I propose using your parcel ID or census track # for a more modern flair.

e.g. 010-054332-80 Bistro: Butt Bar

OneBagTravel
    Participant

Lame they caved. Balls kept people talking and it might help curb the mass hysteria about being offended by everything once the shock value wore off.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

I like to think they didn’t cave, but realized they made a mistake and picked a dumb name. #GlassHalfFull

rus
    rus
    Participant

might help curb the mass hysteria about being offended by everything

You’re an optimist?

News
    Participant

OneBagTravel
    Participant

I will still refer to this place as “Balls”, PC people be damned.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Open, via FB:

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

I walked by last night and saw quite a few people sitting at the bar. glad to see it’s back in action.

Chrysee
    Chrysee
    Participant

Has anyone else been? We met friends there on Saturday at about 5pm and were the only people there. It did start to fill up, but it was mostly due to one really large party.

All of us liked the food and the staff was really nice. Good beers on tap. It essentially still looks exactly the same on the inside, just without all the junk on the walls if you know what I mean. We only ever went to the Jury Room because it was relatively quiet (at the times we would go) and we could sit at the bar with our friends and have some decent beer and maybe a snack. It looks like it’ll still fit that niche for us.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

How were the balls Chrysee?

News
    Participant

Restaurant Review: 1831 Tavern
    April 15, 2015 8:30 am – Miriam Bowers Abbott

Regarding 1831 Tavern: thank heavens they changed the name. The Balls idea, though punny, was maybe better for a Hooters type of establishment. And since the staff at 1831 seems to be well-covered during visits, you’d hate to disappoint afficiados of exposed body parts.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/restaurant-review-1831-tavern-ma1

News
    Participant

1831 Tavern Has Closed
    July 29, 2015 8:51 am – Walker Evans

Columbus Underground was notified last night that the 1831 Tavern (formerly known as The Jury Room, and also known as Balls for a brief period) appeared to be shuttered permanently with the restaurant’s sign painted over in black.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/1831-tavern-has-closed

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 77 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE