Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

1831 Tavern - Balls, Bar, More (New Restaurant Replacing The Jury Room)

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining 1831 Tavern – Balls, Bar, More (New Restaurant Replacing The Jury Room)

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 77 total)
  • Author

ricospaz
    Participant

I’d never eat a hot dog in that place

Roland
    Participant

Mr. T’s favorite restaurant.

joev
    Participant

Well, I’m just as likely to go to Balls as I was the Jury Room. (Not ever.)

Ben
    Participant

Mr. T’s favorite restaurant.

You have been on the internet for a long time. Want to join my webring?

GirlsAgainstBalls
    Participant

I’m really surprised that more women aren’t making themselves heard about this name. Is it that it is too obviously offensive? We all know what Balls is slang for, especially in the context of a bar. It’s demeaning to think that we already ignore places like Hooters and The Tilted Kilt, and now we have this downtown (around the corner from the County Courthouse with a glass staircase).

I was proud of CU for having such a recent, thoughtful dialogue about female CEOs and their portrayal in the media, but none of those folks seem to care about this. Such a shame because Liz Lesser has always been a role model for independent women and now her former business will bear this Crude name instead.

Chicken
    Participant

Is this some sort of attempt at satire? ^^^^

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Is this some sort of attempt at satire? ^^^^

The restaurant or the post above?

Lol – I do seriously love that overly vocal “bro/dude” hater sold the place to Balls.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

This might get even better now.

drew
    Participant

I’m really surprised that more women aren’t making themselves heard about this name. Is it that it is too obviously offensive?

Rename it ‘ROBS’ – Reproductive Organs of Both Sexes.

GirlsAgainstBalls
    Participant

OK, so my first post wasn’t taken seriously? I guess that is my whole point. Many people seem to be oblivious to how crude, sexist, and offensive the name is for women. God forbid we bring it up. So far, most of the response has been that the name is sophomoric, but it’s far worse. It’s not like it was named by teenagers. These are adults who have decided to rebrand the oldest bar in Columbus with a reference to male anatomy. It was deliberately offensive. To some, this is questionable but to others, like myself, it is worse. It’s another restaurant building and promoting a reputation based on crude male pleasure.

Jimmy Mak
    Jimmy Mak
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>GirlsAgainstBalls wrote:</div>
    I’m really surprised that more women aren’t making themselves heard about this name. Is it that it is too obviously offensive?

R.O.B.S’s? I don’t think they exist.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    rus
    rus
    Participant

Needs a branded marketing campaign.

Maybe truck nuts.

rus
    rus
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>drew wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>GirlsAgainstBalls wrote:</div><br>

R.O.B.S’s? I don’t think they exist.

Are the reproductive organs of unusual size?

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

OK, so my first post wasn’t taken seriously?

Don’t feel bad, Virgin posts to the message board by someone who’s username is directly associated with the title of the thread are never taken seriously.

ohbr
    Participant

remember that time an interesting new restaurant concept (name aside) in columbus was chosen for the oldest bar and not some place like Hightpoint? Where’s the dead horse gif when we need it?

And the former owner has no control over what comes after they sell it. If they sell a place they no longer have a vested interest or any say on what happens, so it doesn’t matter what her former business turns in to. Why would anyone need to really need to care what the former owner thought or did unless you want the exact same clientele which in this case was not enough to keep the business in the first place? And this is not the same as hooters or tilted kilt. The object is not to serve mediocre at best food and have servers in speedos take care of you so you can ogle at their anatomy. That’s why it’s being seen more as sophomoric and not as objectifying, sexist or truly offensive.

I sort of feel like Liz got a new screen name and took up a new crusade against the use of the word balls…

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 77 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: