Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

1831 Tavern - Balls, Bar, More (New Restaurant Replacing The Jury Room)

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining 1831 Tavern – Balls, Bar, More (New Restaurant Replacing The Jury Room)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 77 total)
  • Author

geoyui
    Participant

Cojones

JackieC
    Participant

I wonder how deep the menu will be.

DavidF
    Participant

Must. Not. Say. It.

Damn you!

kmg67
    Participant

Pelota.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

This will add new meanings to “doggie bag”

murfmurphy
    murfmurphy
    Participant

phaedrus
    Participant

I hear there will be a Pesto based ball on the menu. They will call them “Pestes”

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

you win.

thecandlelab
    Participant

Joe and Maryjo are two of the nicest people you will meet and are very good restauranteurs. Regardless of what you think about the name, I’m excited to try the food and have Joe back cooking again. As a fan of his meatballs, I think this will do well.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Hope their restaurant is a wonderful success under their ownership; I just hope they change the name before doing anything else.

thecandlelab
    Participant

I put this on FB but will repeat it here – the proof will be in the food/experience/service and the name will be an afterthought. I thought Hoof Hearted was a lame childish ridiculous name for a brewery, but they are brewing some pretty good beer and I order it when I’m out and its on tap. I wish they hadn’t picked a name that sounds like it was focus-grouped from a pack of middle school boys, but it doesn’t prevent me from enjoying their beer. If there are glowing reviews and your friends are raving about the food and ask you to go, I doubt anyone on this thread would choose to not go because you’re put off by the name.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Joe and Maryjo are two of the nicest people you will meet and are very good restauranteurs. Regardless of what you think about the name, I’m excited to try the food and have Joe back cooking again.

Agreed. Very nice people.

I put this on FB but will repeat it here – the proof will be in the food/experience/service and the name will be an afterthought. I thought Hoof Hearted was a lame childish ridiculous name for a brewery, but they are brewing some pretty good beer and I order it when I’m out and its on tap. I wish they hadn’t picked a name that sounds like it was focus-grouped from a pack of middle school boys, but it doesn’t prevent me from enjoying their beer. If there are glowing reviews and your friends are raving about the food and ask you to go, I doubt anyone on this thread would choose to not go because you’re put off by the name.

I agree that the proof is in the food, and I’m confident that it will be great, as was Caffe Daniela. And while there are likely many people here who are willing to give it a shot based on the merits of the food, I do think there are some people in the general public who *will* judge a book by its cover and make up their minds based on the name before ever setting foot inside. The response this got on FB is a good indicator of that:

There was a recent episode of the show Top Chef where teams of chefs had to design a menu from scratch, serve guests, and the team that got the most orders won with the teams that got the least orders lost. Of course, part of the contest was still about the quality of the food, but it was also an exercise in marketing, communication, language and presentation. If the customer never tastes your food because of a barrier on the menu (or with the name), then they will never know if the food is actually good or not.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

I think a name change would be wise. That’s me.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Pretty sure I never thought twice about going to “Major Woody’s” even before it opened and turned into a mess.

Twixlen
    Participant

I think a lot of people will regard a place named “Balls” as one where bro-dudes hang out and crush cans on their forehead. A bar filled with 100 Guy Fieris.

I think that coming up with a name that’s a play on the word would be more clever, and more inviting. I also think there is opportunity for hilarity in the menu.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 77 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE