Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Baja Fresh to close Columbus Locations

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Baja Fresh to close Columbus Locations

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

MFRONE
    Participant

Just came back from Baja Fresh on Bethel and as I was leaving the employees thanked us for our business and told us they were notified this morning that their store would be closing tomorrow. They also said the location on Sawmill would be closed tomorrow or Friday as well.

albug_cbus

I heard the one on Lane Ave closed a couple weeks ago.

catnfiddle
    Participant

albug_cbus wrote >>
    I heard the one on Lane Ave closed a couple weeks ago.

That one had me very upset. We had pulled up on Rockmastermike’s Vespa for dinner and realized the shop was empty. ACK!

Coreroc

Yay more room for real food!

catnfiddle
    Participant

Hmm, I thought the ingredients were fairly fresh and tasty.

Miami Joe

This is bad news. I happened to enjoy the food at Baja Fresh (especially the baja-style tacos). While not really in the same league as what you get at one of the local taco trucks, I do believe that there is a place for good fast food, and Baja Fresh was just such a place.

Whether or not you personally like Baja Fresh, I don’t think it’s right to be happy that the restaurants are closing. We’re talking about people’s jobs and livelihoods here, not to mention significant investments of time and capital. And their food is certainly “real” food. The ingredients were always fresh, the service always friendly, and the food always tasty. I will miss this place.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

I liked them better before they split from Wendy’s. At least I think…whenever that change over happened.

askmrlee
    Participant

I used to like them too and I remember when they first opened the Bethel Road store, the lines were out the door. However, I recently discovered that many foods at “Fresh Mex” places (not just Baja Fresh) are loaded with sodium, particularly burritos, so I don’t go as often, or I only get tacos. In many items, you get over a day’s recommended allowance of sodium (2000mg). Read it and weep.

http://www.bajafresh.com/nutritionals.php

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I agree with Miami Joe that it is upsetting for anyone who lost a job over this, but I’m really not going to shed any tears over the actual food evaporating from the Columbus market. There are plenty of better local places to get a burrito.

Our city will culturally be better off without em.

bustowner
    Participant

When Baja Fresh first came to tow, they were a notch above Chipotle, with very fresh ingredients, that salsa bar, and cool side items (e.g. roasted green onions). Since that time, Chipotle has become more than just a steam-table burrito joint by using better ingredients (Niman Ranch pork, yadda yadda), while Baja has declined. They dumbed down the menu, and every time I went to the one on Bethel, it seemed there were flies swarming the salsa, and the soda pop station.

Last time I was in Chicago, I ate at a lunch counter and was chatting up the manager. It turned out he used to be a regional manager for Baja, and his territory included Columbus. I mentioned how much I USED to like Baja, and he laughed, had heard that lotsa times. He said things went downhill when Wendy’s took over, and they were forced to start using different suppliers.

adrock

kinda glad. hopefully something cool will open on lane ave. maybe something where middle age women wont sit and stare at me loading my groceries into my bike.

Tenzo
    Participant

Miami Joe wrote >>

Whether or not you personally like Baja Fresh, I don’t think it’s right to be happy that the restaurants are closing. We’re talking about people’s jobs and livelihoods here, not to mention significant investments of time and capital.

I think we are all hoping that a higher caliber of food will be replaced, using fresher (local) ingrediants, more skilled preporation and better for the customer. Rather than lamenting the loss of something bad lets be happy about the opportunity. It’s not like the customers are going to drive to Cleveland. There is no net revenue or job loss.

Sorry to be harsh, but I’m on a high from a really great taco truck run that makes Baja Fresh look like a fish taco that was left in the back of a station wagon on a sunny day.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

futureman
    Participant

I enjoy Qdoba, glad to hear they are expanding. FYI they have great deals on Saturday, a entree and a drink for $5 vs $8-9.

dman081

Oh come on (to those who are not fans of baja fresh)! It might not be the best and it has declined since Wendy’s bought them, but there’s not one “fast casual” place where you can get food even approaching the authenticity of Baja. Not to say Baja’s is authentic, but at least they have fish tacos and CORN tortillas. Chiptole, Qdoba, nope… they might be tasty, but mexican they are not. Not even close.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE