Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Backyard Chickens in Columbus?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Backyard Chickens in Columbus?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 76 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

If I had the space I would take all the old hens :( They would lead lives of luxury.

Chickens are by far my favorite pet I have ever had. They are hilarious and I wouldn’t care if they never laid an egg. Most roosters are nice too if you’ve had them from chickhood– with a few legendary notable exceptions in my case.

I miss my chickens soooo much. I even dream about picking them up all the time, or hanging out the laundry with them following me around making little worried hungry noises.

My favorite memory is coming home from a hard day’s work, fixing a hot dog and a beer, and sitting on the front stoop giving my bird friend little bits of hot dog bun and a cap full of beer. She was in heaven.

I also miss seeing the little hollowed-out “dust baths” they would make for themselves under the bushes, and watching them roost in the trees at night. Picking up a sleepy chicken is very cozy.

rus
    rus
    Participant

MRipley said:
    The latest trend, chicken dumping.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/backyard-chickens-dumped-shelters-when-hipsters-cant-cope-critics-say-6C10533508

Despite visions of quaint coops, happy birds and cheap eggs, the growing trend of raising backyard chickens in urban settings is backfiring, critics say, as disillusioned city dwellers dump unwanted fowl on animal shelters and sanctuaries.

Hundreds of chickens, sometimes dozens at a time, are being abandoned each year at the nation’s shelters from California to New York as some hipster farmers discover that hens lay eggs for two years, but can live for a good decade longer, and that actually raising the birds can be noisy, messy, labor-intensive and expensive.

Seems like some butchering is in order.

Kill Them With Kindness: How to Make and Use a Killing Cone

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

giving my bird friend little bits of hot dog bun and a cap full of beer

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

rus said:

Despite visions of quaint coops, happy birds and cheap eggs, the growing trend of raising backyard chickens in urban settings is backfiring, critics say, as disillusioned city dwellers dump unwanted fowl on animal shelters and sanctuaries.

Hundreds of chickens, sometimes dozens at a time, are being abandoned each year at the nation’s shelters from California to New York as some hipster farmers discover that hens lay eggs for two years, but can live for a good decade longer, and that actually raising the birds can be noisy, messy, labor-intensive and expensive.

Seems like some butchering is in order.

Kill Them With Kindness: How to Make and Use a Killing Cone

It’s sad (because folly is the only reason those chickens were bought in the first place) but it’s true.

Although I would take issue with those who say chickens can’t live outside on their own. They will be preyed upon, but they can certainly find things to eat and places to go. Chickens can survive– and not just survive but be content– in very cold weather, although I guess heavy snowfall that covered up the food would be challenging. As chicks they seem almost born to die, but once they get older they’re surprisingly resilient and “plucky”.

Viewing 4 posts - 76 through 79 (of 79 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: