Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Backyard Chickens in Columbus?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Backyard Chickens in Columbus?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

dbincbus said:
    When I lived in Weinland Park, I was sort of stunned one day to find a chicken in my backyard. At first I thought it was a plastic chicken until I noticed it pecking at the ground. I have absolutely no idea where it came from (it’s not really a back-to-the-farm type of neighborhood), but I fed it Cheerios for several days until it no longer came back.

I once fed a starving stray cat a bag of funyuns (it’s all I had) and that cat ate them up.

/irrelevant

countessbranca
    Participant

Schoolboy said:
    Very cool thread. Definitely going this route for the first time this year. I’m thinking a chicken coop on wheels to push around the yard. Keep from killing the grass and to fertilize. Not sure if anyone has tried that or not. Would love to hear input.

What you’re thinking is called a Chicken Tractor. A great option! But you’d have to have a part of the coop with an impervious floor and a way to lock up the hens (for protection’s sake and also per City regulation).

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

I’ve actually thought about the mobile coop too, so having the ground be the “floor” would not be sufficient? Part of the floor would have to be a solid?

News
    Participant

Franklin County Working on New Regulations for Backyard Chickens, Ducks and Rabbits
    Published on February 23, 2013 9:00 am
    By: Brent Warren

For those urban farmers residing outside of city limits but within Franklin County (that means you, township residents), there are currently significant barriers to raising small farm animals like chickens, ducks or rabbits. Under current zoning, such small-scale farming is considered an agricultural use; it is prohibited on lots smaller than an acre and severely restricted on lots between one and five acres. County planners are working on a set of new regulations now to change that, and they hope the new zoning amendment will help to promote what they see as a healthy, green and economical practice.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/county-working-on-new-regulations-for-backyard-chickens-ducks-and-rabbits-bw1

myliftkk
    Participant

Free ranging city birds, coming soon:

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

bman
    Participant

Read this on Facebook … Lets keep the chickens in the country where they are happier.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

bman said:
    Read this on Facebook … Lets keep the chickens in the country where they are happier.

LOL…they’re “happier”? How big of an area do you think a couple chickens would have in the country? They’re not roaming free through the countryside.

bman
    Participant

I was being a bit sarcastic but I do believe in keeping the country in the country and the city in the city. What is next, a cow in Clintonville?

bman
    Participant

Columbus will turn into Reynosa Mexico!

tdziemia
    Participant

bman said:
    I was being a bit sarcastic but I do believe in keeping the country in the country and the city in the city. What is next, a cow in Clintonville?

I don’t believe that this kind of farm control measure will have any impact on the problem. Criminals who want to have livestock on their property will still find a way to do it, and we’ll only take away the rights of law abiding animal lovers. Before you know it, we’ll have the government walking into our yards and taking away our tomatoes and basil.

christylwilliams
    Participant

Something came into my yard today in OTE and stole my two hens. We found one girl next door in a vacant lot wounded. The other is gone and presumably already made lunch.

At first I thought a cat, but my girls are pretty big and even a large cat would have problems taking on both. A resident in Franklin Park said they’ve seen a fox recently.

So… keep an eye on your hens in the OTE and Franklin Park area.

Roland
    Participant

Could also be a hawk. Our neighbors chickens are getting ganked by them.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

Yes without dogs or an enclosure those little birdies are just meat on feet, and someone/something will eat them up.

I learned the hard way :(

MRipley
    Participant
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 79 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: