Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Backyard Chickens in Columbus?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Backyard Chickens in Columbus?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 79 total)
  • Author

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

And my thread continues to live. Now that I have my own place, with a backyard, this may become a reality in the next year. Also considering a rabbit hutch.

JohnTWG

I installed a chicken coop in my backyard this april/may in the City of Columbus and now have 6 chickens living well in it. I am also approved by the city to keep these 6 birds and if anyone wants info on how I made it happen, please let me know.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

In My Garden: John Bannon in Olde Towne East
    By: Anne

Backyard chickens? YES! You’ve been reading a lot about raising chickens in your own backyard the past couple of years. It’s a part of the local foods movement that has been gaining ground here and across the nation as people have been looking for ways to get closer to the source of their food.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/in-my-garden-john-bannon-in-olde-towne-east

News
    Participant

Westerville explores chicken keeping
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011
    By JENNIFER NESBITT
    ThisWeek Community Newspapers

Residents chirping for city approval of backyard chicken keeping could see some movement on the issue in the coming year.

Spurred by an increase in residents asking about legalizing chicken keeping, the Westerville planning department has constructed a draft ordinance that would allow for and regulate the backyard agricultural use.

READ MORE: http://www.thisweeknews.com/live/content/westerville/stories/2011/08/03/westerville-explores-chicken-keeping.html?sid=104

Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

Walker said:
    In My Garden: John Bannon in Olde Towne East
    By: Anne

Backyard chickens? YES! You’ve been reading a lot about raising chickens in your own backyard the past couple of years. It’s a part of the local foods movement that has been gaining ground here and across the nation as people have been looking for ways to get closer to the source of their food.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/in-my-garden-john-bannon-in-olde-towne-east

This calls to mind the saying : don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

City Folk’s Farm Shop will host a Backyard Chicken Support Group on Sunday, July 22 at 3:30. Join us if you would like to meet other city chicken raisers and learn from each other.

http://www.cityfolksfarmshop.com/

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

City Folk’s has a google group if you’d like to join:
    We created a Google group account – Columbus City Chickens. Feel free to join this communication tool if you are interested in raising chickens. We put out a call for pictures of local chickens to showcase around the store (please email us yours).

christylwilliams
    Participant

I need some advice from someone with more chicken experience. How are people keeping their girls warm this winter? This is my first winter with two hens and I’m afraid of how cold it’s been lately. They have a converted dog house as their coop with lots of hay inside and out. Is a heat lamp necessary? One is just finishing her molt and seems especially cold.

Big_Ford_Country84
    Participant

christylwilliams said:
    I need some advice from someone with more chicken experience. How are people keeping their girls warm this winter? This is my first winter with two hens and I’m afraid of how cold it’s been lately. They have a converted dog house as their coop with lots of hay inside and out. Is a heat lamp necessary? One is just finishing her molt and seems especially cold.

they need heat, I saw an really cool (no pun) idea, the guy had his coop on the back porch and roated his dryer vent into the coop. I think he had wind block or part of the porch was inclosed

bucki12

Big_Ford_Country84 said:
    they need heat, I saw an really cool (no pun) idea, the guy had his coop on the back porch and roated his dryer vent into the coop. I think he had wind block or part of the porch was inclosed

That is a damp heat which might cause a lot more problems then it would solve.

countessbranca
    Participant

For those of us who live in areas that lie outside of the City of Columbus’ jurisdiction (in townships or otherwise ‘unincorporated Franklin county’), the current county code prohibits backyard chickens in lots under 1 acre. BUT! There is work under way to change these restrictions. Below is a link to a current draft of the proposed amendments, allowing for chickens, ducks, and rabbits under certain parameters. The draft is being reviewed and commented upon by local stakeholders, and the gentleman working on this issue is welcoming letters of support and/or comments on the draft resolution from individual residents as well. Please send Matt Brown an email ([email protected]) so that everyone in Franklin county can raise chickens!

http://development.franklincountyohio.gov/projects/chickens-ducks-rabbits/doc/Draft_Chicken_Duck_Rabbit_Amendment_1-29-13.pdf

Patch
    Participant

countessbranca said:
    For those of us who live in areas that lie outside of the City of Columbus’ jurisdiction (in townships or otherwise ‘unincorporated Franklin county’), the current county code prohibits backyard chickens in lots under 1 acre. BUT! There is work under way to change these restrictions. Below is a link to a current draft of the proposed amendments, allowing for chickens, ducks, and rabbits under certain parameters. The draft is being reviewed and commented upon by local stakeholders, and the gentleman working on this issue is welcoming letters of support and/or comments on the draft resolution from individual residents as well. Please send Matt Brown an email ([email protected]) so that everyone in Franklin county can raise chickens!

http://development.franklincountyohio.gov/projects/chickens-ducks-rabbits/doc/Draft_Chicken_Duck_Rabbit_Amendment_1-29-13.pdf

Very cool.

Schoolboy
    Participant

Very cool thread. Definitely going this route for the first time this year. I’m thinking a chicken coop on wheels to push around the yard. Keep from killing the grass and to fertilize. Not sure if anyone has tried that or not. Would love to hear input.

dbincbus
    Participant

When I lived in Weinland Park, I was sort of stunned one day to find a chicken in my backyard. At first I thought it was a plastic chicken until I noticed it pecking at the ground. I have absolutely no idea where it came from (it’s not really a back-to-the-farm type of neighborhood), but I fed it Cheerios for several days until it no longer came back.

rory
    Participant

I’m not surprised by the chicken in Weinland Park section of the Short North. We’re much more agriculturally diverse than you think as the video shows.

The video is NSFW by the way in an audio sense.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 79 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION