Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Backyard Chickens in Columbus?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Backyard Chickens in Columbus?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 79 total)
  • Author

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

my medium is dying wrote That said, i live about 45-60 minutes from Downtown, and i think anyone who can’t plant a 2-acre garden and raise their own pigs and chickens is crazy.

Backyard Chickens, FTW.

Although not entirely possible in some cases, it is pretty easy to establish an urban garden, as well as space for the chickens. At least enough to supplement your family’s needs.

:D

joev
    Participant

lifeontwowheels wrote

my medium is dying wrote That said, i live about 45-60 minutes from Downtown, and i think anyone who can’t plant a 2-acre garden and raise their own pigs and chickens is crazy.

Backyard Chickens, FTW.

Although not entirely possible in some cases, it is pretty easy to establish an urban garden, as well as space for the chickens. At least enough to supplement your family’s needs.

Yes, but their beaks are so pecky.

johnwirtz
    Participant

lifeontwowheels wrote

Backyard Chickens, FTW.

Without actually checking, I’m going to assume that raising chickens in the city is probably against a zoning code or something.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

JohnWirtz wrote

Without actually checking, I’m going to assume that raising chickens in the city is probably against a zoning code or something.

While Columbus is not listed, It looks legal in many municipalities..

Including Chicago!

http://home.centurytel.net/thecitychicken/chickenlaws.html

Matthew
    Participant

BOK BOK BOK

roy
    Participant

JohnWirtz wrote Without actually checking, I’m going to assume that raising chickens in the city is probably against a zoning code or something.

It’s allowed, but the chickens must wear helmets when riding their bicycles.

Matthew
    Participant

And they must never cross the road outside of a crosswalk. :P

michaelcoyote
    Participant

MatthewJR30 wrote BOK BOK BOK

Are you chicken or something?

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

JohnWirtz wrote

lifeontwowheels wrote

Backyard Chickens, FTW.

Many municipalities have begun to change previous codes and now classify chickens under “pet” provisions. In other cases, as long as the neighbors don’t complain it’s fine. If the biggest issue the police in a town face is to round up illegal chicken farms….

Besides, it’s only illegal till you get caught…

gramarye
    Participant

Hah! I don’t know if chickens are actually legal in Columbus, but considering the noise and the stench they can make–my neighbors back in Kirkersville raised chickens, and there was a hen farm about mile away–I think your neighbors would be less likely to complain if you were [totally illegally] growing cannabis than [possibly legally] raising chickens.

I’m on record saying I think urban farming has a future a decade or two down the line, when the cost-benefit analysis of “vertical farms” shifts in its favor (due to rising transportation & logistics costs) … but I have to admit, listening to and smelling my neighbor raising chickens wasn’t quite what I had in mind. :P

johnwirtz
    Participant

michaelcoyote wrote

JohnWirtz wrote

While Columbus is not listed, It looks legal in many municipalities..

Including Chicago!

http://home.centurytel.net/thecitychicken/chickenlaws.html

Hmmm. I’m going to have to talk to my condo board about this.

joev
    Participant

Here’s a really nice article about urban farming from New York Mag. http://nymag.com/restaurants/features/37273/

All in all, it’s probably more costly and time consuming to raise your own chickens in an urban area. But you can use your landscape to produce food for you in a lot more ways that having a vegetable garden.

JonMyers
    Participant

joev wrote But you can use your landscape to produce food for you in a lot more ways that having a vegetable garden.

I saw two families along the bike path in Clintonville who had done just that with their front yards. Turned them into vegetable gardens. They had a small sign in front of their house explaining what they were growing and their take on it.

There is also a movement out west led by an architect called Edible Estates, which is prototyping these type of gardens and urging people to reconsider the waste created by the traditional preened lawn.

I agree I think you’ll start to see a lot more of this, which makes me happy. I think the passion and competition people put into their yards can be stupid.

joev
    Participant

JonMyers wrote

joev wrote But you can use your landscape to produce food for you in a lot more ways that having a vegetable garden.

I saw two families along the bike path in Clintonville who had done just that with their front yards. Turned them into vegetable gardens. They had a small sign in front of their house explaining what they were growing and their take on it.

There is also a movement out west led by an architect called Edible Estates, which is prototyping these type of gardens and urging people to reconsider the waste created by the traditional preened lawn.

I agree I think you’ll start to see a lot more of this, which makes me happy. I think the passion and competition people put into their yards can be stupid.

I’m currently sourcing some fruit trees for our new house. If anyone has leads on (especially heritage) varieties that self pollinate, PM me.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

gramarye wrote Hah! I don’t know if chickens are actually legal in Columbus, but considering the noise and the stench they can make–my neighbors back in Kirkersville raised chickens, and there was a hen farm about mile away

Well a lot of the municipalities listed in the web page I posted had a hen only ordnance (they’re quieter than roosters by far) as well as a limit of the number of birds (from what I can tell usually 3). As someone wh0 had a neighbor with about 10-15 chickens at any given time including roosters, it was pretty annoying when the roosters would start crowing at 4-5AM.

As far as the smell, I think that it can be ok if the manure is spread out (e.g. penning them in a chicken tractor and moving them to different areas frequently).. What I’ve read talks about how to neutralize this problem. I think the biggest thing is just making sure that the manure doesn’t pile up and the best way is to not have too many chickens for the area you keep them in. For example my neighbor had 5 acres and they had 3 of it fenced for chickens with a hen house that got closed at night.. there really wasn’t a bad smell for the 10-15 chickens.

As far as commercial chicken farms, that’s a rant for another time. I just remember driving past the Buckeye Egg farm back when it was really bad (about 10 years ago). Horrible.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 79 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION