Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Babies in Bars (a no-no?)

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Babies in Bars (a no-no?)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 93 total)
  • Author

shirtandpants
    Participant

What is it with new parents and this sense of entitlement? Sorry, but your kid does not belong everywhere you want to go just because you can’t accept the fact that you are now a parent and your lifestyle needs to change. I don’t care how well-behaved your kid is, they don’t belong in bars. Kids are welcome almost everywhere else in the world, can’t we single, childless people have ONE sacred place to socialize?

Bear
    Participant

shirtandpants wrote >>
    What is it with new parents and this sense of entitlement? Sorry, but your kid does not belong everywhere you want to go just because you can’t accept the fact that you are now a parent and your lifestyle needs to change. I don’t care how well-behaved your kid is, they don’t belong in bars. Kids are welcome almost everywhere else in the world, can’t we single, childless people have ONE sacred place to socialize?

Not sure whether you’re directing that at Donna and Roland, but if so, it wasn’t a problem that night at all. As a childless person myself I was happy to have the opportunity to socialize with them, and that was pretty clearly the general feeling. (Actually made me think this whole babies in wine shops thing could have a future… sure seemed to put everyone in a good mood.)

asil
    Participant

Just a little safety plug. I bought these on Amazon. We took her to a movie (a private party at Studio 35), she slept through the whole thing. And she will definitely be going to outdoor concerts this summer so these will help protect little eardrums.

They come in pink for girls, blue for boys and black for little goth babies.

groundrules
    Participant

asil wrote >>
    Just a little safety plug. I bought these on Amazon. We took her to a movie (a private party at Studio 35), she slept through the whole thing. And she will definitely be going to outdoor concerts this summer so these will help protect little eardrums.

they make those for dogs too. In case you’re one of those jerks that brings your dog to a bar. or comfest.

asil
    Participant

groundrules wrote >>

asil wrote >>

they make those for dogs too. In case you’re one of those jerks that brings your dog to a bar. or comfest.

HA!!!! It looks like Baron got into the lingerie drawer.

Dogs in bars is an entirely new thread I’m sure.

AmyJ
    Participant

I think there’s a time and place for everything. I took my son to a bar/restaurant patio for a drink and an early dinner with friends when he was wee and he’s had plenty of lunches and dinners at Betty’s/Surly Girl/Dirty Franks/et al. I guess I’m okay with it if you’re there for food and a drink or two vs. pounding beers at the bar while the kid sits there bored.

But hey, whatever works for you works for me.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

also… something that we were made aware of today…

If you do bring your kids to the bar… for the love of all that is holy please do NOT allow them to seize control of the volume control for the jukebox.

my ears are still ringing badly

Talcott

Rockmastermike wrote >>
    also… something that we were made aware of today…
    If you do bring your kids to the bar… for the love of all that is holy please do NOT allow them to seize control of the volume control for the jukebox.
    my ears are still ringing badly

Yes!

Although I’m still trying to figure out how the volume control was available to anyone not staffing the bar. That just seems like a recipe for disaster under any circumstance.

catnfiddle
    Participant

The main problem was that two young girls were bored and were allowed to run all over a restaurant without parental supervision. When they were playing with the jukebox, there was no way their parents could have seen them from the other room and around a corner. What if they had made a break out the back door?

On the other hand, the baby with the adults in question was quiet, content and well-behaved.

DonnaTate

It seems there is a general feeling that anyone who brings their child into public, does so irresponsibly….and that’s almost as offensive as undisciplined children.

I may have a child, but I’ve also spent the first 30 years of my life with no children. I certainly understand not wanting to be bothered by someone’s screaming child while I’m trying to enjoy my evening. And I’d like to think I’m smart enough to avoid putting myself (and my child) into that situation.

I think children do what they’re taught. If you expect them to be respectful, they will. If you allow them to behave badly, everyone around will suffer. Any time I’ve taken my child to a restaurant, theater, etc… nobody would have even known a child was there if they hadn’t personally seen him.

Making broad generalizations about any one group of people is never a good idea because everyone is different, not to be defined by one single characteristic.

catnfiddle
    Participant

DonnaTate wrote >>
    I think children do what they’re taught. If you expect them to be respectful, they will. If you allow them to behave badly, everyone around will suffer. Any time I’ve taken my child to a restaurant, theater, etc… nobody would have even known a child was there if they hadn’t personally seen him.

Exactly my point as well. I’ve had lovely meals at Alana’s and other places with Andrew Hall’s son since he was five, and he was a charming dining partner. I’ve also been to plenty of gathering where Walker has kept a careful but confident eye on Desi. From the reports from Slow Wine, Froggy seems to be doing well with his socialization at such a young age. It’s not the age of the child to call into question but the parents’ behavior management of them. If the kids are taught how to act in a restaurant and are incorporated into the group, there is no problem.

The two girls I saw today should never have been allowed to act the way they did, but they were not included in the conversation at their table (I watched them while I settled my tab). They were also unsupervised as they ran into another room filled with strangers (us).

I’m relieved to say that occasions like today’s are rare!

Bear
    Participant

Well-behaved children don’t get noticed.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

DonnaTate wrote >> Any time I’ve taken my child to a restaurant, theater, etc… nobody would have even known a child was there if they hadn’t personally seen him.

I really hope you use your credibility as a mom with a well behaved kid to educate that small group of people who have not yet figured out how to educate their children to behave in public.

The irresponsible parents in question letting their kids run around the bar like it was a big playground risk not just annoying us, but also risk injury or WORSE for their children. The kids were running, not walking around…climbing on furniture… in another room… occupied by a small group of strange people… completely out of sight of the parents…

I just wanted to tell that mom to watch her kids. As another mom with a kid, YOU can actually do that. Someone like me would only be met with hostility. But SOMEONE should do it! Most kids in restaurants are fine, it’s just that small group that seems to have a problem.

DonnaTate

People ask me quite often how I get my baby to behave so well, and I gladly tell them little tricks I use. I think that’s the easiest way to make an impact. Those parents see that it CAN be done, and I think on some level they wish things were like that for them, they just don’t know how to get there.
    I grew up in a large Catholic family, so there were always children around. I have 6 brothers myself, and several of them have ADHD so if there’s a way to keep a child calm and focused, I’ve probably read about it or tried it in the past. My step mother on the other hand…not so much. It’s always bothered me that her parenting style has kept my brothers from reaching their fullest potential. They’re great kids (and very intelligent too), you just wouldn’t know it at first glance because she has absolutely zero desire to be a mother. It kills me to think how far they could go in life if just the tiniest bit of effort were made.
    Being a parent is tough. It’s the hardest thing any of us will ever do, but there’s never been a more worthwhile job. My entire day (and night) is spent working on my child’s development. I try to do everything I can to make sure I meet his needs even before he realizes he has a need. When he’s napping I spend most of my time researching and networking with other mothers. I’m borderline obsessive about making sure my child has every advantage developmentally and socially.
    I see people like Walker, Anne, Andrew and Elena… and they’ve sort of become role models for me. Their kids are AWESOME and I can only hope my son will be just like them when he grows up. It’s comforting to know that it IS possible to live a normal life with a child.

enigmama
    Participant

I am loving this thread and reading everyone’s opinions. As a mom of three, who loves food and buying local, I want to be able to introduce my children to the great restaurants in this city, so they will learn to appreciate food and not be fed preprocessed garbage. IMO, fast food and chain restaurants contribute to the obesity issues in kids today. Will I make sure my kids are well behaved when we are out? Absolutely. Would I ever take them into an obvious adults-only situation, like a drinks-only bar or an R rated movie? No way…for the benefit of them and the other adults. Everything in moderation.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 93 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION