Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Babies in Bars (a no-no?)

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Babies in Bars (a no-no?)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 93 total)
  • Author

It’s good to remember that humans evolved in close quarters with one another, often sharing homes/restaurants/etc. with 100 of their closest in-laws, relatives, and fellow villagers. The fact that our society draws these stringent boundaries around bars strikes me as weird and unnatural and slightly puritanical.

RE: the stroller-in-bars thing, it’s rude – but not specific to parents. It could be a stroller, a bicycle, whatever; the point is people shouldn’t hog space in public.

This all reminds me of two business models that would thrive in Cbus:

1. A quality restaurant (read: NOT MacDonalds) with an enclosed playspace in the center AND a decent wine list. A friend in Boston said there’s something like this in her hood and it’s packed 24/7.

2. Specific days of the week when movie theaters, restaurants, shops, or whatever designate themselves as kid friendly. My sister said that in Portland there’s a dinner movie theater that hosts a moms’ group every week, where kids can run wild while moms enjoy beer and a film.

Working at home or being a full-time parent is incredibly isolating. I’d love to have a place I can go and work or hang out WITH my kid in tow and not feel like an a-hole about it.

Bear
    Participant

Y’know what’s funny, I actually don’t have particularly strong opinions about this issue, but I have noticed that parents differ dramatically in terms of how much of an impact they and their kids have on their environment. Sometimes in a restaurant you’d hardly even notice that a parent’s got a small child at the next table — in which case, like I care. Other times, there’s such a blizzard of strollers and rattles and stuff… and more to the point, a constant tension, and focus on the child… that I can’t help but feel as though I need to adjust my own behavior, even if I’m across the room. That does get pretty distracting.

Daz
    Participant

DonnaTate wrote >>

Daz wrote >>
    I’m with Michael on issue C. above. If you come into an establishment that is normally used in mass for adult drinking situations, and you expect language/topics of conversation/etc. to change just because you brought your kid in there, you’re a jerk.
    That’s like bringing your little kid into an R rated movie and complaining because it’s not appropriate. In fact, this WHOLE situation is like bringing your kid into a movie theater. If it annoys the population, remove it. If you expect the content or the patrons to change because you showed up, you’re in the wrong.
    Otherwise, whatever. It’s your kid.

Strike 2 for me. I’ve brought my baby to a movie theater…and he was quieter than most adults watching the movie. In fact, nobody even knew he was there.

I don’t understand how that’d be a strike against you at all. Sounds like the kid isn’t bothering anybody and you’re not asking anything to be changed to suit you.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Today’s Fun Fact is brought to you by COSI:

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

Personally, as the parent of a young child, I would never take him to a movie theater. At his age it’s not going to be enjoyable for him, and people who paid the obscene prices they charge for tickets these days shouldn’t have to hear him crying –or laughing, or talking. For the same reason, everyone should turn off their cell phones when they enter the theater.

On the other hand we often take him with us to restaurants –but not fancy ones and not to bars. Why would we? I can’t imagine we’d really be able to appreciate the atmosphere with him with us anyway.

We do still occasionally go to fancy restaurants and movies (dramatically fewer than we used to!) but only after arranging someone to babysit first. That way everyone has a good night.

As others have pointed out, the original article is less about babies and more about people who expect that the world will cater to their expectations.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

I don’t have kids so I feel my comments wouldn’t be valid even if they were logical.

I’d totally get another cat though.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Snarf wrote >>
    I don’t have kids so I feel my comments wouldn’t be valid even if they were logical.

Yes, but would you drag your pussy to a bar?

Rockmastermike
    Participant

michaelcoyote wrote >>

Snarf wrote >>

well THAT’s a very personal question

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Rockmastermike wrote >>

michaelcoyote wrote >>

Snarf wrote >>

well THAT’s a very personal question

Have you seen Snarf’s pussy? It’s Huge! I’d be a little bit worried if I walked into a bar and saw Snarf’s pussy.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Wouldn’t you technically be walking into my pussy at that point?

AmyJ
    Participant

Sorry to move away from the pussy discussion, but I am with SJT and others that say bringing a kid of any age into a bar when you’re just there to drink seems a little silly to me. I don’t understand the appeal of it for the parents at all. I go to a bar to get AWAY from my kiddo. I’m pretty laid back about everything parenting-wise, but this is one thing I’m not down with at all.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Snarf wrote >>

I’ll keep my foot away from your pussy, thanks. That thing could probably take a man’s leg clean off.

AmyJ: I can’t imagine why you might want to take a kid into a bar like the SJT anyway.

10sun

michaelcoyote wrote >>

Snarf wrote >>

I’ll keep my foot away from your pussy, thanks. That thing could probably take a man’s leg clean off.
    AmyJ: I can’t imagine why you might want to take a kid into a bar like the SJT anyway.

Because it has arcade machines that you used to play when you were little.

I actually remember years and years ago before I had a Nintendo, I would go to a local bar (I was probably about 7 years old) and play arcade games there after school. I was probably the only 7 year old to be blowing my allowance the bar!

Bear
    Participant

AmyJ wrote >>
    Sorry to move away from the pussy discussion, but I am with SJT and others that say bringing a kid of any age into a bar when you’re just there to drink seems a little silly to me. I don’t understand the appeal of it for the parents at all. I go to a bar to get AWAY from my kiddo. I’m pretty laid back about everything parenting-wise, but this is one thing I’m not down with at all.

I suppose it depends on the bar.

Roland and Donna brought their son to the Twisted Vine a while back… not a bar exactly, but everyone was drinking wine. They were there to hang with friends. Nice to see the little guy, and having him there didn’t seem odd at all actually.

DonnaTate

Bear wrote >>

AmyJ wrote >>

I suppose it depends on the bar.
    Roland and Donna brought their son to the Twisted Vine a while back… not a bar exactly, but everyone was drinking wine. They were there to hang with friends. Nice to see the little guy, and having him there didn’t seem odd at all actually.

I think the owner had a pretty good conversation with Froggy about wines too! :)

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 93 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION