Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Babies in Bars (a no-no?)

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Babies in Bars (a no-no?)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 93 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

rave_til_dawn wrote >>
    With a baby set to arrive in 2 months, I fully plan on hitting the Short North with her in tow.

Congrats! And good to hear! :D

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Andrew Hall wrote >>

michaelcoyote wrote That said, if your baby is kickin’ up a fuss the whole time you’re in a given spot and it’s very obvious to everyone that the kid is not happy, it’s probably best for both your kid and the people around you to make an early exit.

If Grandma or your drunk douchebag buddy are ‘kickin’ up a fuss’, the same hasty retreat is in order.
    The behaviors are the problem, not the age or any other aspect of the person.
    A.

Sure, but my point is that the parents are controlling the environment for that little person. It’s up to them. Douchebag buddy and Grandma are adults and have at least notional control over the environment they put themselves in.

Oh if Granny is a racist Alzheimers patient, then taking her to a Mexican restaurant probably isn’t the best idea.. Just sayin’.

DonnaTate

Man, this topic makes me feel like I shouldn’t be planning to apply for “Mother of the Year” award any time soon, because I’d never think twice about bring my 3 month old son to a place like Surly Girl. Maybe it’s because I don’t consider it to be a bar, and maybe it’s because I don’t feel I should be stuck eating at Bob Evans for the next 18 years. We’re very aware that others don’t want to hear a screaming baby while they’re enjoying dinner, and do our best to make sure that doesn’t happen. I certainly can’t imagine lowering my standards when it comes to dining establishments just because I have a child.

Walker wrote >>

rave_til_dawn wrote >>
    With a baby set to arrive in 2 months, I fully plan on hitting the Short North with her in tow.

Congrats! And good to hear! :D

Ha, thanks, right back at ya!
    The wife is probably looking more forward to it than I am. ;)

michaelcoyote
    Participant

DonnaTate wrote >>
    Man, this topic makes me feel like I shouldn’t be planning to apply for “Mother of the Year” award any time soon, because I’d never think twice about bring my 3 month old son to a place like Surly Girl. Maybe it’s because I don’t consider it to be a bar, and maybe it’s because I don’t feel I should be stuck eating at Bob Evans for the next 18 years. We’re very aware that others don’t want to hear a screaming baby while they’re enjoying dinner, and do our best to make sure that doesn’t happen. I certainly can’t imagine lowering my standards when it comes to dining establishments just because I have a child.

Not saying you should at all. I guess if I had kids, I’d probably go there too.

Nor do I expect that You & RoRo, Walker & Anne, Andrew & Elena or most of the others here with kids would:

a) Subject others to a kid that is very unhappy and NOT getting any happier.
    b) Completely disregard/ignore their unhappy kid.
    c) Have unrealistic expectations about what adults talk about with other adults in a bar after 10pm at night.

I’ll be honest, I’ve not seen a & b as that big of a problem. Most parents including the aforementioned are keenly tuned to how much their kid wants to be in a given environment. They are also quick to duck out when they see trouble brewing.

I think c is the biggest issue with me, but again, I think most rational people understand that adults talking with other adults happens in a bar and that kids are going to hear it adult language sometime in their lives.

THE STRANGER
    I like your style, Dude.

THE DUDE LOOKS UP, ABSENTLY:

DUDE
    Well I like your style too, man.
    Got a whole cowboy thing goin’.

THE STRANGER
    Thankie. . . Just one thing, Dude.
    D’ya have to use s’many cuss words?

The Dude looks at The Stranger as if just now noticing how
    out of place the cowpoke is.

DUDE
    The fuck are you talking about?

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Oh, Donna,

I should also point out that Baby RoRo is a pretty great little guy, and it was very cool to hang out with him at Twisted Vine.

He also really seemed to like that limerick about the milkmaid. Either that or he was passing gas. (I keed, I keed)

Daz
    Participant

I’m with Michael on issue C. above. If you come into an establishment that is normally used in mass for adult drinking situations, and you expect language/topics of conversation/etc. to change just because you brought your kid in there, you’re a jerk.

That’s like bringing your little kid into an R rated movie and complaining because it’s not appropriate. In fact, this WHOLE situation is like bringing your kid into a movie theater. If it annoys the population, remove it. If you expect the content or the patrons to change because you showed up, you’re in the wrong.

Otherwise, whatever. It’s your kid.

Daz
    Participant

Andrew Hall wrote >>

michaelcoyote wrote That said, if your baby is kickin’ up a fuss the whole time you’re in a given spot and it’s very obvious to everyone that the kid is not happy, it’s probably best for both your kid and the people around you to make an early exit.

If Grandma or your drunk douchebag buddy are ‘kickin’ up a fuss’, the same hasty retreat is in order.
    A.

As mentioned earlier, the db buddy and grandma are adults. That means I have the full on capability to look at them dead in the eye and say “Will you shut the ____ up? I’m trying to have a conversation.” These are not words that should be said to small children.

Andrew Hall

Daz wrote >>

Andrew Hall wrote >>

A.

As mentioned earlier, the db buddy and grandma are adults. That means I have the full on capability to look at them dead in the eye and say “Will you shut the ____ up? I’m trying to have a conversation.” These are not words that should be said to small children.

You are more likely to provoke an esclation with “Will you shut the ____ up” in response to db than to a parent. A polite request is more reasonable in both cases.

Again, it is not about one-size-fits-all prohibitions on particular individuals, be they children or Ed-Hardy afficiandos. The basic statement is “Some people are rude.” The follow-up is how to deal with that in a public environment.

A.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

So it seems that most of us are of the mindset that a baby in a bar-ish restaurant is fine as long as the baby/child is not disruptive and the parents are attentive. That’s cool. I’m on board with that.

But what if we’re talking liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiike a bar such as the St. James Tavern…no food there, it’s just a BAR. You haven’t come as a family to meet friends and have some dinner and maybe a couple cocktails, the only reason to be there is to drink. I guess I see no reason why a baby or small child would ever need to be there.

Andrew Hall

osulew wrote
    But what if we’re talking liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiike a bar such as the St. James Tavern…no food there, it’s just a BAR… I guess I see no reason why a baby or small child would ever need to be there.

To drink?

A.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

Andrew Hall wrote >>

osulew wrote
    But what if we’re talking liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiike a bar such as the St. James Tavern…no food there, it’s just a BAR… I guess I see no reason why a baby or small child would ever need to be there.

To drink?
    A.

I can’t even imagine what kinda fake ID would be needed to pull that off. :) Although sometimes at the end of the night, I admit I’d like to drink my bourbon out of a bottle or sippy cup myself.

Yeah, if you’re there just to drink, and not to meet anyone, AND you have a baby with you, you may want to re-evaluate your priorities in life.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

rave_til_dawn wrote >>
    Yeah, if you’re there just to drink, and not to meet anyone, AND you have a baby with you, you may want to re-evaluate your priorities in life.

I still think even if you were intending to meet people at a place that’s solely a bar, you probably shouldn’t have your kid in tow. Now don’t get me wrong, I’m all for parents boozin’ their brains out as they see fit, but maybe while toting and possibly driving your kid around isn’t that time and place. Now that’s not to say that people can’t meet at a restaurant with a bar and have too many with their kids in tow, but when booze, not food is the only option at an establishment…yeah…just kinda calls those priorities into question.

Roland
    Participant

I think this would be a daytime phenomenon primarily. Baby’s sleep around 17 hours a day and common bedtimes end up occurring between 7:30 and 9:00pm.

A baby that’s out past this time is going to quickly become overtired and really cranky (read not tamable!) in this state. If your out this late with a baby, I think you’re really asking for trouble.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 93 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: