Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Babies in Bars (a no-no?)

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Babies in Bars (a no-no?)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 93 total)
  • Author

DCist

As a bartender who works in a BAR it is difficult to be accommodating to people with kids. I try my best and its not about making a moral/ethical/whatever judgment about parents and their kids. But, when I am walking with a tray of 10 beers and you let your kid run through the place, its pretty unnerving. I agree, if the kid is well behaved then whatever (if you are eating food). But propping your kid up on a barstool while you have a cocktail (a barstool that can be occupied by a PAYING, DRINKING customer) is pretty annoying from a business standpoint.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Mister Shifter wrote >>
    Perhaps you’re right Walker. Also, maybe some of my feelings will change as I start taking my son out more as he ages. He’s only 3 months old now.
    :)

Honestly, I found it easy to take a little one out from age 0 to maybe 9 months because they were still portable! Desi’s first night out was to a CU Meetup at Barcelona when he was 10 days old and he slept through the entire thing. ;)

Once they can start moving around a lot on their own, it’s hard to make them sit still, and the high seats at places like Surly and Betty’s don’t work at all.

Once they hit 2 though, they start to do really well again just about anywhere. Desi loves Dirty Frank’s, and I’ll grab a cocktail during lunch there with him and don’t think much of it. But I’d hardly endorse him being there to close the bar down on a Saturday night. ;)

Anyway, I think that article you posted up top is a bit on the extreme end of things, and most of the examples we’re all discussing here are much different situations.

Andrew Hall wrote >>
    Why should you worry about your language with respect to children as opposed to other people in general? What if you offend or upset adjoining adults?
    The ‘nice restaurant’ hang up is very Midwestern. When we lived in NOLA, it was not unusual to see four generations at a table in the very best restaurantsand without comment. Ditto NYC where, most recently in my experience, Otto was the Chelsea ChuckeCheese.
    I would add that obnoxious behavior is just that and not age-specific. I witness far worse from adults. And like adults, each child is different. Some can handle a three hour meal (with quiet diversions) and some can’t. How does drawing with crayons alter your meal? Rather have that than a loud adjoining table or one with somone drenched in perfume or a myriad of other things that actually do affect me tangibly. A child drawing is no different than a fashion disaster patron – just don’t look if it bothers you.
    A lot is about expectations and training. If dining out is not an unusual experience, the child will usually do fine.
    A.

I’m with A on this one. In a lot of countries kids will fall asleep at the bars while their parents drink. It’s not viewed as irresponsible; just how things work. I think outside the US children tend to be considered more of a community-wide responsibility. It’s perfectly acceptable for an adult (non-parent) to verbally reprimand a misbehaving child in public. I think if a kid is acting like a sh!t you should tell the parents it’s ruining your dinner and trust them to handle it, the same way you’d deal with an obnoxious adult.

Now children in smoking bars? To me that’s pretty nasty!

cc

sugarplumclarey wrote
    Now children in smoking bars? To me that’s pretty nasty!

I just got off the phone with Zeno’s. The cribs come in on Monday.

JonMyers
    Participant

I don’t have a problem with babies or children in bars, in some cases if there is a problem it would be with the parents of children.

Those would be the parents that expect you to adjust normally acceptable bar behavior to accommodate children.

I haven’t experienced babies in bars in Columbus, but I have experienced it in other cities.

J.R. Locke

Where I grew up bars were for families. You ate dinner and spent the night after a few drinks.

So. I think this is just another PC thang.

With a baby set to arrive in 2 months, I fully plan on hitting the Short North with her in tow. As mentioned above though, we definitely won’t be closing any place down either, but I definitely see us hanging out on any 1 of the patios during the summer with her.

Last summer we saw a couple bring their baby to the Union patio for Happy Hour, and thought it looked funny, but we’re totally going to be those people this summer.

Just because we’re parents now, doesn’t mean we have to drive to the burbs to hit up Applebee’s or Chili’s, right?!

somertimeoh
    Participant

I think the more it’s done the more acceptable it becomes. Thanks for paving the way guys :)

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

I don’t mind sharing space with a well mannered kid in a restaurant. If I’m in an establishment that’s strictly a bar, however, I don’t want kids around. My issues with kids in less “family friendly” restaurants arise when the children are poorly behaved, when parents don’t attempt to manage the child’s behavior, or when parents act as if others should change their behavior because they decided to bring their child out after dark to a mostly adult environment…the night we were on the Tip Top patio around 10pm comes to mind. We weren’t cursing uncontrollably or being excessively loud, but the patio is close quarters and the conversation was definitely not suitable for kids.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

JonMyers wrote >>
    I don’t have a problem with babies or children in bars, in some cases if there is a problem it would be with the parents of children.
    Those would be the parents that expect you to adjust normally acceptable bar behavior to accommodate children.

Yep. I feel about the same way. Really I think that it’s good for kids to be around all sorts of people and get socialized at an early age.

That said, if your baby is kickin’ up a fuss the whole time you’re in a given spot and it’s very obvious to everyone that the kid is not happy, it’s probably best for both your kid and the people around you to make an early exit.

somertimeoh
    Participant

Yeah, that was weird. That poor kid is probably scarred for life :(

But babies are awesome as long as they aren’t fussing. And in those papoose things, you wouldn’t even know one was around!

michaelcoyote
    Participant

osulew wrote >>
    when parents act as if others should change their behavior because they decided to bring their child out after dark to a mostly adult environment…the night we were on the Tip Top patio around 10pm comes to mind.

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again… “Fuck that”

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

somertimeoh wrote >>
    Yeah, that was weird. That poor kid is probably scarred for life :(
    But babies are awesome as long as they aren’t fussing. And in those papoose things, you wouldn’t even know one was around!

You know what’s worse than a baby in a bar…babies at late night R-rated movies. I can’t believe how often I’ve seen that over the years…never goes well for anyone.

Andrew Hall

michaelcoyote wrote That said, if your baby is kickin’ up a fuss the whole time you’re in a given spot and it’s very obvious to everyone that the kid is not happy, it’s probably best for both your kid and the people around you to make an early exit.

If Grandma or your drunk douchebag buddy are ‘kickin’ up a fuss’, the same hasty retreat is in order.

The behaviors are the problem, not the age or any other aspect of the person.

A.

somertimeoh
    Participant

Andrew Hall wrote >>

michaelcoyote wrote That said, if your baby is kickin’ up a fuss the whole time you’re in a given spot and it’s very obvious to everyone that the kid is not happy, it’s probably best for both your kid and the people around you to make an early exit.

If Grandma or your drunk douchebag buddy are ‘kickin’ up a fuss’, the same hasty retreat is in order.
    The behaviors are the problem, not the age or any other aspect of the person.
    A.

5 years ago I wouldn’t have agreed with you, but as we grow up and mature and think about the possibility of our own lives changing, you become a lot more tolerant of other’s choices, especially knowing one day you might have to make the same one.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 93 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION