Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Babies in Bars (a no-no?)

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Babies in Bars (a no-no?)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 93 total)
  • Author

Mister Shifter
    Participant

http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/03/02/brooklyn.babies.in.bars/index.html?hpt=C1

I thought this was an interesting article on CNN today. As a new parent I couldn’t see myself bringing my baby to Surly Girl, Tip Top, & the like… even if I was just going for a bite to eat. I’d hate to make the people around me feel like they need to watch their mouths in a bar environment.

Added to this article or list should be nice restaurants. I took my wife out to dinner at Tucci’s in Old Dublin a few weeks back. Nice place, dim lighting, dark woods, older crowd. The table directly next to me brought their toddler who was being completely obnoxious. I almost spit out my wine when the mother asked the server if they had some crayons and something for him to color on. I wish the server would’ve replied with something along the lines of “this isn’t Bob Evans, ma’am.” Well it practically ruined the dinner and any semblance of mood. I couldn’t get out of there fast enough.

I should add, as a new parent I am TOTALLY sympathetic to other parents with fussy kids, but in the proper environment. Max & Erma’s, El Vaquero, BW3’s… loud restaurants that are kid friendly.

Andrew Hall

Why should you worry about your language with respect to children as opposed to other people in general? What if you offend or upset adjoining adults?

The ‘nice restaurant’ hang up is very Midwestern. When we lived in NOLA, it was not unusual to see four generations at a table in the very best restaurantsand without comment. Ditto NYC where, most recently in my experience, Otto was the Chelsea ChuckeCheese.

I would add that obnoxious behavior is just that and not age-specific. I witness far worse from adults. And like adults, each child is different. Some can handle a three hour meal (with quiet diversions) and some can’t. How does drawing with crayons alter your meal? Rather have that than a loud adjoining table or one with somone drenched in perfume or a myriad of other things that actually do affect me tangibly. A child drawing is no different than a fashion disaster patron – just don’t look if it bothers you.

A lot is about expectations and training. If dining out is not an unusual experience, the child will usually do fine.

A.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

I don’t think that it’s a mystery that there’s certain language, while not profane, is only for adults and probably isn’t going to be offensive to most within earshot. Especially in a bar environment.

And I wouldn’t have had a problem if the mother in Tucci’s had brought crayons or something to occupy their toddler. I’m a rational human being. Expecting a fine dining establishment to have a “kiddie coloring page” is another. A restless kid climbing all over the chairs and booth next to you might leave you a little bitter when you’re spending over $100 on dinner & drinks at 9pm.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

Andrew Hall wrote >>
    A lot is about expectations and training. If dining out is not an unusual experience, the child will usually do fine.
    A.

Very true.

Kudos to parents who teach their children how to behave in public. You’re always going to have people to the contrary though, and pardon me, they can stick to Applebee’s.

agtw31

this babies in bars hangup is east coast goofiness.

KSquared

Mister Shifter wrote >>

Andrew Hall wrote >>
    A.

Very true.
    Kudos to parents who teach their children how to behave in public. You’re always going to have people to the contrary though, and pardon me, they can stick to Applebee’s.

I started taking my now teenager out to eat when she was very young. I agree with Andrew, I think the child will grow accustomed to your expectations. I’ve always been able to take my child just about anywhere and she was receiving compliments from servers in nice restaurants at a pretty young age and it was really nice to not have to limit our choices to “kid friendly” places. Personally, I think Tip Top and Surly Girl and lots of other places are just fine for kids as long as the parents have some sense.

cc

What about children in bars? I am not talking about bar/restaurants I am talking about bars. I have seen people bringing 8 year olds who hang around while their parents socialize. I personally think there are better places for children.

agtw31

that’s what i thought the article was about

the doorknob with the baby in that picture is sitting at a bar.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

Yes, the conversation got a bit split. The news article is specifically about children/babies in bars.

asil
    Participant

KSquared wrote >>

Mister Shifter wrote >>

Andrew Hall wrote >>
    A.

Very true.

I started taking my now teenager out to eat when she was very young. I agree with Andrew, I think the child will grow accustomed to your expectations. I’ve always been able to take my child just about anywhere and she was receiving compliments from servers in nice restaurants at a pretty young age and it was really nice to not have to limit our choices to “kid friendly” places. Personally, I think Tip Top and Surly Girl and lots of other places are just fine for kids as long as the parents have some sense.

Couldn’t agree more. It’s the parents responsibility to help their child learn how to act in public and how to eat in public, and it’s the parent’s responsibility to bring entertainment for them if they need it. Unfortunately that doesn’t always happen and we’ve all seen THAT kid.

In addition to that I think there are a number of variables including time, place and space. I kind of consider Tip Top, Betty’s, etc restaurants that serve beer. I would take my kid to dinner at Tip Top because there’s more room (ie booths), not Betty’s because it’s smaller. It’s just inconsiderate to have a giant baby carrier blocking the way for everyone.

Straight up bars are out of the question, IMO.

I can’t say I’d take my kid to Tucci’s. But I also don’t feel like we need to be relegated to strip mall restaurants. Going out with your kid in tow to get sloshed is obviously wrong. But let’s face it, as new parents we need a drink out every once in a while.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Mister Shifter wrote >>
    Yes, the conversation got a bit split. The news article is specifically about children/babies in bars.

It all depends on how you define “bars”.

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

I don’t have children so I can’t speak from experience, however, I go to bars to drink and hang out with friends. I can’t imagine having a relaxing time with martini in hand while also watching out for/paying attention to a child. Drinking at home, fine; a glass of wine with dinner, cool; a nice restaurant, awesome; a bar…not so much.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Mister Shifter wrote >>
    As a new parent I couldn’t see myself bringing my baby to Surly Girl, Tip Top, & the like… even if I was just going for a bite to eat. I’d hate to make the people around me feel like they need to watch their mouths in a bar environment.

There’s absolutely no reason to think this way. I’ve taken our kiddo to Surly & Tip Top plenty of times for lunch and occasionally for an early dinner. If anyone feels uncomfortable around children, then that’s their problem. Not yours.

Mister Shifter wrote >>
    Added to this article or list should be nice restaurants.

We typically will go to dinner a bit earlier rather than later if we have our child in tow, partly for our own convenience and partly to be accommodating to others. He’s generally pretty well behaved though, and the one and only reason for that is because he’s used to going out. The kids that misbehave are the ones who aren’t taught properly how to act in public.

cc

A friend here is telling me that, in Ohio, if the bar does not serve food then underage children are not legally allowed. This seems to go against what I have seen, but does anyone know for sure?

eta:

looks like you need to be 18 years old for a non-food bar. I wonder if there is a bar that is willing to fight this ‘ageism’ like Zeno’s war on the smoking ban…. :)

Mister Shifter
    Participant

Perhaps you’re right Walker. Also, maybe some of my feelings will change as I start taking my son out more as he ages. He’s only 3 months old now.

:)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 93 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION