Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Average electricity bill for 2bdrm ~900 sq. ft. apartment?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Average electricity bill for 2bdrm ~900 sq. ft. apartment?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 60 total)
  • Author

myliftkk
    Participant

Living in a 1920s house ~1600-1800sq ft, vinyl windows and gas water/heat, and power is running ~$100/mo right now. Looks like the last gas bill ~$85/mo, and that’s keeping it set at 68-69. Now, my power would be a lot lower, but I run multiple pcs nearly 24/7/365, and combined they probably account for $40-50/mo.

I’d say you’re either bleeding heat and your furnace is running non-stop (which is pretty easy to verify), or you’ve got some sort of electrical issue pulling power when it shouldn’t (which you can check breaker by breaker). If you’re bleeding heat, and you have a basement, you might want to check the fittings on all the ductwork and air leaks into the basement (assuming you can get to it). I used multiple rolls of metal aluminum tape to seal off every air leak I could find in the basement here, since old school elements like coal doors leak massive amounts of heat.

groundrules
    Participant

for $20 you can get a device to measure specific power usage at the plug. it’s interesting, especially for you electron misers.

ches08
    Participant

We had an electrician come in and measure the “draw” from each breaker. He confirmed there is no bleed coming from the breakers.

We also have one of the devices to measure usage on different things that we have plugged in, but nothing is measuring out of the ordinary.

Twixlen
    Participant

ches08 said:
    We had an electrician come in and measure the “draw” from each breaker. He confirmed there is no bleed coming from the breakers.

We also have one of the devices to measure usage on different things that we have plugged in, but nothing is measuring out of the ordinary.

If your furnace is older – even 10 years makes a difference here – it’s that, combined with general air leak. An electric furnace is pretty much the most expensive way to heat a house. That said, one of the cheapest places I ever lived had electric baseboard heat, with a thermostat in each room – that was awesome.

I have a 1500 sq ft house, built in 1959, with almost no insulation, and aluminum awning-style windows. I keep the house at 64-65 most of the winter, sometimes cranking it all the way to 67. In the summer, I keep it around 74-75, sometimes a teeny bit lower. I have budget payments, and combined, I’m at $165 for both electric & gas, with a high efficiency heat pump (uses more electric than gas). I also have two layers on nearly every window – usually a thermo-lined roman shade + some kind of drape, in some cases thermo-lined drapes.

I dream of insulation and new windows.

ches08
    Participant

Twixlen said:
    If your furnace is older – even 10 years makes a difference here – it’s that, combined with general air leak. An electric furnace is pretty much the most expensive way to heat a house. That said, one of the cheapest places I ever lived had electric baseboard heat, with a thermostat in each room – that was awesome.

I wouldn’t even be questioning our bill if the furnace were older, but we got it brand new in January. It is supposedly “top of the line” according to the home inspector and electrician we had come over.

Patch
    Participant

ches08 said:
    I wouldn’t even be questioning our bill if the furnace were older, but we got it brand new in January. It is supposedly “top of the line” according to the home inspector and electrician we had come over.

How often does the furnice kick on?

Out of curiosity, can the electric company privide you with a history of the usage at the address? I would think they could. I wonder if the usage is higher with the new furnace (or not).

lxs
    Participant

Columbia Gas has a great rebate program for insulation & air sealing, no rebate for windows. I had a 100+ year old duplex insulated last year; it was affordable & made a big difference in the comfort level in the house (both winter & summer). Here’s a link for more info.

http://www.columbiagasohio.com/Libraries/PDFs/HPS-FactSheet2010Final.sflb

Twixlen
    Participant

lxs said:
    Columbia Gas has a great rebate program for insulation & air sealing, no rebate for windows. I had a 100+ year old duplex insulated last year; it was affordable & made a big difference in the comfort level in the house (both winter & summer). Here’s a link for more info.

http://www.columbiagasohio.com/Libraries/PDFs/HPS-FactSheet2010Final.sflb

This is a fantastic program – I had neighbors who did it and it made a big difference for them. However, it won’t work for ches08, as their system is electric. It doesn’t even work for me, since the bulk of my heat pump uses electric, with only aux usage of the gas furnace. I fall well below the 1000ccfs requirement.

Twixlen
    Participant

Ah HA – @ches08 — turns out AEP has a similar program! For $50, it seems like it would be worth it to have them do the full-shebang audit. I’m looking into it for my own house now!

https://aepohio.com/save/programs/In-homeEnergySavings/default.aspx?ctype=h

ches08
    Participant

Twixlen said:
    Ah HA – @ches08 — turns out AEP has a similar program! For $50, it seems like it would be worth it to have them do the full-shebang audit. I’m looking into it for my own house now!

Thank you so much! I will definitely look into this…
    In the meantime, we talked to our neighbors, granted they said they have an older furnace than our’s and have a house of 5 (we only have the two of us), but he said his bills are still about $300 a month. So I still think our’s is too high for the energy we are actually using. I am also looking at getting the “Nest” thermostat to try and help

groundrules
    Participant

DavidF said:
    Well, that’s what makes her so much fun, you never know where her interests will take her. ;)

electricity hell, i’d be worried about the floor joists.

James
    Participant

ches08 said:

I’m curious – you said you bought an all electric house, but you now have a furnace? I assume you mean you have an air source electric heat pump – if you have a gas furnace, this electric bill is indeed too high.
    Air source electric heat pumps can have electric resistance back up. This should only kick on when it’s very cold (typically below 20 degrees, sometimes a bit higher). If the heat pump isn’t working properly then your basically heating with electric resistance which is very expensive.

James
    Participant

Twixlen said:

We tried to use this as we have an all electric heating & cooling system. The company that AEP hires showed up and noticed that we have gas service into the house. I explained its only for the range in the kitchen and we heat and cool with electricity. He said AEP won’t pay for the audit if there is a gas connection.

ches08
    Participant

James said:
    I’m curious – you said you bought an all electric house, but you now have a furnace? I assume you mean you have an air source electric heat pump – if you have a gas furnace, this electric bill is indeed too high.
    Air source electric heat pumps can have electric resistance back up. This should only kick on when it’s very cold (typically below 20 degrees, sometimes a bit higher). If the heat pump isn’t working properly then your basically heating with electric resistance which is very expensive.

I just called it a furnace I guess, there is no gas run to the house at all, it’s completely electric.

Also, I’ve been told that I do not have a heat pump..

DavidF
    Participant

groundrules said:
    electricity hell, i’d be worried about the floor joists.

Luckily only a few are on the first and second floors. The vast majority are in the basement.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 60 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!