Our City Online

Messageboard - Film

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Marvel's Avengers: Age of Ultron

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Film Marvel's Avengers: Age of Ultron

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    derm
    derm
    Participant

Just read the bad guy is Ultron(Go Bucks!) and they introduce the Scarlet Witch. Anyone else here a forty something guy that has about 500 Marvel comics back home at his folks house in YTown psyched about the potential for this movie? I personally think they have hit a homer every single one of the Marvel family movies to date.

ps Did I miss the already existing thread discussing the above?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

derm said:
    I personally think they have hit a homer every single one of the Marvel family movies to date.

A bold statement.

bastardsuperstar
    Participant

Ultron without Hank Pym is a seriously wasted opportunity. a two movie slow boil leading to Ultron would’ve been awesome. introduce Hank in one of the movies, show him working on what would become Ultron (this would’ve been a perfect sub-plot for Ant-Man, but alas) and have Ultron turn evil in the follow-up. the real gravitas of the Ultron story is that a hero invented it for good, and his creation turned on him. granted, in a post-Terminator world it seems like a tale we’ve seen before, but it would feel like more of a world ending threat if we weren’t introduced to it, and defeat it in the same movie.

also, we get Wanda AND her brother Quicksilver. I’m assuming without the awesomely creepy incest vibe they had in The Ultimates. (and a different version of Pietro/Quicksilver will be in the next X-Men movie, which is a whole ‘nother can o’ worms…)

bastardsuperstar
    Participant

Walker said:
    A bold statement.

ghost rider isn’t in the “Marvel Cinematic Universe” ;)

Disney/Marvel doesn’t own the movie rights to him, X-Men, Spidey, FF, Punisher or Daredevil.

bold as it may be, his statement stands.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

bastardsuperstar said:
    Ultron without Hank Pym is a seriously wasted opportunity.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0478970/

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

bastardsuperstar said:
    ghost rider isn’t in the “Marvel Cinematic Universe” ;)

Disney/Marvel doesn’t own the movie rights to him, X-Men, Spidey, FF, Punisher or Daredevil.

bold as it may be, his statement stands.

Oh come now. Marvel comic turned movie. No need to make it more complex than that. :P

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

I do think its safe to say Disney taking the lead on these has made all the difference in the world vs. the Elektra, Daredevil, Ghost Rider 2, Fantastic Four movies that came before.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

I’m still trying to figure out how Thanos plays into Avengers 2, if at all, since he was teased in Avengers. He is going to be in Guardians but I cannot see Marvel having a 3rd tier super group taking out one of their biggest villains.

As for the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver, both are technically mutants and will be introduced in what up until now has been a more realistic world, except for the whole Thor thing. (he is from a different universe so I guess that doesn’t count)

I don’t get the whole Ant-man/Ultron thing either. Would have been an easier puzzle to put together.

And, when the hell are we going to see Wolverine or Spiderman. Talk about a nerdgasm. Now if Sony could only make a deal with Disney.

bastardsuperstar
    Participant

Walker said:
    Oh come now. Marvel comic turned movie. No need to make it more complex than that. :P

he was referring to the Marvel family of movies. ie: iron man, cap, Thor, avengers, hulk, GotG.
    not my fault you got a nerd reference wrong.
    I’m sure there’s some annoying fucking smiley I’m supposed to put in here now so you know it’s all in fun, but for the life of me I have no idea which one…

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

bastardsuperstar said:
    for the life of me I have no idea which one…

It’s this one:

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Also… this is the Marvel Family:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Family

bastardsuperstar
    Participant

Coremodels said:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0478970/

yeah, but Edgar already said there’s no Ultron in Ant-man, and there’s been talk that it won’t even be hank behind the mask, but probably Scott Lang.

jpizzow said:
    I’m still trying to figure out how Thanos plays into Avengers 2, if at all, since he was teased in Avengers. He is going to be in Guardians but I cannot see Marvel having a 3rd tier super group taking out one of their biggest villains.

As for the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver, both are technically mutants and will be introduced in what up until now has been a more realistic world, except for the whole Thor thing. (he is from a different universe so I guess that doesn’t count)

I don’t get the whole Ant-man/Ultron thing either. Would have been an easier puzzle to put together.

And, when the hell are we going to see Wolverine or Spiderman. Talk about a nerdgasm. Now if Sony could only make a deal with Disney.

Thanos will be teased in GotG, and then background until A3, since Ultron is the big bad in A2.

from Fox’s standpoint, Avengers won’t be allowed to refer to Witch and Pietro as mutants, cuz they own all of that with the X-Men franchise. we’ll see how that unfolds…

and honestly, as enormous a marvel nerd as I am, I have very little interest in the multi universe crossover that would bring wolverine or spidey into the MCU. I’d have far more interest in taking the characters Disney doesn’t have and doing a “Marvel Knights” team movie using Spidey, Daredevil, not-Jennifer-Garner Elektra and fighting ghost rider or punisher or something. a two and a half hour movie doesn’t need twenty heroes shoehorned in just for squeals. as evidence I present X-Men 3.

bastardsuperstar
    Participant

Walker said:
    Also… this is the Marvel Family:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Family

not on any planet I buy comics on…

you want a family of heroes named marvel, go this way:
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvelman

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

I double checked a little, because I couldn’t remember the backstory on Ultron. Looks like he was introduced as a villain to the Avengers before the comics revealed his background with Hank Pym.

Also, for what its worth, the IMDB story synopsis is definitely Hank Pym based for the Ant-Man movie.

geoyui
    Participant

Looks like James Spader will play Ultron.

James Spader Cast as Lead Villain Ultron in ‘Avengers’ Sequel

But, departing from the comic, writer-director Joss Whedon plans to strip some of Ultron’s powers for the upcoming film. “I knew right away what I wanted to do with him,” Whedon recently told Entertainment Weekly. “He’s always trying to destroy the Avengers, godd— it, he’s got a bee in his bonnet. He’s not a happy guy, which means he’s an interesting guy. He’s got pain. And the way that manifests is not going to be standard robot stuff. So we’ll take away some of those powers because at some point everybody becomes magic.”

Spader’s Ultron will be making trouble for Marvel’s costumed heroes in the movie, including Iron Man, The Hulk, Captain America, and Thor. However, since Ultron is entirely mechanical, it remains to be seen if Spader will be on set in a suit, interacting with his fellow cast members, or if he’ll be providing the voice for a CGI creation. So far, Marvel and Disney haven’t weighed in on the matter.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

The forum ‘Film’ is closed to new topics and replies.