Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Atlas Building - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development The Atlas Building – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 82 total)
  • Author
    Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

So what is actually going to happen to the Atlas Building?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Pro Se said:
    The Downtown Commission agenda included an item for conceptual review of the renovation of this building (conversion of upper floors to residential) together with plans to develop the adjoining parking lot to the north on High with ground floor retail below two to four stories of residential. There are also plans for a courtyard and parking structure. Unfortunately, the review has been withdrawn for this meeting of the Commissiom but it is expected to be presented on at next month’s meeting.

As we haven’t heard much recently on this since it was acquired (see article above), we can rest assured that it is in fact moving forward. And who knows, maybe we will rid ourselves of an unsightly surface lot on High in the process!

I saw this in the agenda. Will have to reach out to them for more details. Glad to hear that there’s an additional new-build component in addition to the renovation of the existing building.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

Wow this sounds excellent

columbusmike
    Participant

Any word on the Atlas renovations?

Pro Se
    Participant

The project never made it on the following Downtown Commissiom meeting agenda but I’d like to think that they are still working on the plans for a future submission.

News
    Participant

Atlas Building lands $300K Clean Ohio grant
    Business First
    Date: Tuesday, January 31, 2012, 9:41am EST

A $16 million project to redevelop the historic Atlas Building downtown got a $300,000 leg up from the state Monday. The Controlling Board approved $1.2 million in Clean Ohio Assistance Fund grants for five Ohio projects, including the Atlas redevelopment plan in Columbus, according to a press release. The $300,000 grant will be used to conduct environmental remediation on the property at 8 E. Long St.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2012/01/31/atlas-building-lands-300k-clean-ohio.html

Anything going on with the Atlas Building? It would be nice if the project finally got underway….

scorpcmh
    Participant

I have been wondering also. It is across from my gym. I’ve seen absolutely no activity on the upper floors. Any updates Walker?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I checked in with them again yesterday and they said they may have an announcement to make within next 60 days. We’ll have something up as soon as that happens.

I believe the upper floors were all vacated a few years ago due to fire code issues. The redevelopment of the building into apartment units would address that.

News
    Participant

Atlas Building Conversion to Apartments Set to Start
    Published on March 22, 2013 9:40 am
    By: Brent Warren

Plans for the Atlas Building at 8 East Long Street downtown are starting to come together. Michael Schiff, Principal of the Schiff Capital Group, outlined the latest plans and gave some background on the project Wednesday night at a ULI Columbus event at the building.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/atlas-building-conversion-to-apartments-set-to-start

futureman
    Participant

Not much new news about the project, but more of the background of the building and going over all the issues due to the renovation. Also, it states it will be target mid-range renters, not the typical high-end for downtown … and it starts September! (full article behind paywall)

‘Unloved’ Atlas Building getting new life as apartments
    Brian R. Ball
    Staff reporter- Business First

When developer Michael Schiff took over the historic Atlas Building in early 2011, the nearly empty office high-rise in downtown Columbus had been mired in financial distress.

He bought the iconic but ill-maintained building out of foreclosure for just $3.5 million – about $5.3 million less than the building’s sale price three years earlier – and cleaned up its tax delinquencies.

Now the developer and his partners are ready. Construction is expected to start in September and the apartments are expected to be ready 13 months later.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/print-edition/2013/08/16/unloved-1904-high-rise-getting-a-new.html?page=all

Analogue Kid
    Participant

Yay finally!

columbusmike
    Participant

One of my absolute favorite buildings in Columbus…

heresthecasey
    Participant

It’s a shame that they couldn’t make more units on the surface lot work out, but that can always be added down the road I guess.

Very glad to see this building finally coming back to life!

Pro Se
    Participant

Anyone know if they in fact got started in September? Anxious to see a start on this.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 82 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: