Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Atlas Building - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development The Atlas Building – News & Updates

This topic contains 81 replies, has 37 voices, and was last updated by Walker Evans Walker Evans 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 82 total)
  • Author

heresthecasey
    Participant

Interesting article in Business First this week about the possible foreclosure on the Atlas Building at Long/High but also a possible conversion on floors 4-12 as apartments.

http://columbus.bizjournals.com/columbus/stories/2010/05/03/story11.html

cc

If they make it into rentals instead of condo’s that would be great.

futureman
    Participant

+ 1 for Apartments. I hope they won’t go the high-end route, but instead focus on a single individual making 35-40K a year could afford. It’d be great to see nice one bedrooms (non-studio) going for $700 or less w/a parking space.

Kind of a more affordable Annex at RiverSouth development. $750 is still high-ish for a one bedroom with no parking spot.

colrex7

I like it. I hope it goes through.

Talcott

futureman wrote >>
    + 1 for Apartments. I hope they won’t go the high-end route, but instead focus on a single individual making 35-40K a year could afford. It’d be great to see nice one bedrooms (non-studio) going for $700 or less w/a a parking space (maybe).
    Kind of a more affordable Annex at RiverSouth development. $750 is still high-ish for a one bedroom with no parking spot.

Yes, this!

When I moved back to Columbus, I considered living downtown, but it was hard to find an actual apartment. I’m sure they exist, but they seem to be hidden away. I don’t ever see myself in the market for a condo (if I’m going to buy something, I’d rather have a house) and it seems like that’s all we have downtown. While I imagine apartments are harder to manage than condos [he guesses, with no real estate experience], I think they’d do a lot for the vitality of downtown. Aside from getting a more diverse group of residents, it would allow people to try living there without having to make a major commitment.

Oak
    Participant

With the economy picking up now, about when this project is done with a year long apartment conversion, it should be ripe for the heavy rental season in spring 2011. Hard to find a downtown apartment? pish posh! http://www.metro-rentals.com

jtwill84
    Participant

Any idea what is currently in the upper floors of this building? Is it completely empty?

futureman
    Participant

Oak wrote >>
    With the economy picking up now, about when this project is done with a year long apartment conversion, it should be ripe for the heavy rental season in spring 2011. Hard to find a downtown apartment? pish posh! http://www.metro-rentals.com

Probably hard to find something affordable that isn’t a 1 bedroom efficiency around Franklin University area on a typical state employ office worker salary (not saying Talcott is/was, just that salary range is average-ish around town). That’s why I like the Annex at RiverSouth, I believe it has the lowest rent for a 1 bedroom for a new build in downtown proper @ $750 w/no parking space.

Talcott

futureman wrote >>

Oak wrote >>

Probably hard to find something affordable that isn’t a 1 bedroom efficiency around Franklin University area on a typical state employ office worker salary (not saying Talcott is/was, just that salary range is average-ish around town). That’s why I like the Annex at RiverSouth, I believe it has the lowest rent for a 1 bedroom for a new build in downtown proper @ $750 w/no parking space.

Yeah, that’s about the right range. My problem is that I was looking for something in between what seemed to be offered downtown. I don’t really want or need a ton of modern amenities, and couldn’t care less about having things like gyms and such connected to my apartment (and rent), but I don’t want somewhere completely run-down either. I’m sure there are downtown apartments that I’d love, but I didn’t find anything when I was looking two years ago.

But I’m happy with where I wound up, and don’t plan to move any time in the near future.

[edited to remove the evidence that all threads on here blend together into one über-thread in my mind]

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

jtwill84 wrote >>
    Any idea what is currently in the upper floors of this building? Is it completely empty?

There’s been a “for lease” sign on the building for quite awhile, so I imagine they’ve got a variety of office spaces available in the building.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Landmark’s future ‘up in the air’
    Friday, December 24, 2010
    BY MARK FERENCHIK
    THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

The historic Atlas Building Downtown has been in trouble for a while. The 105-year-old building is in foreclosure. Its upper floors are vacant because of fire-code violations.

Preservationists are worried that one of Columbus’ landmark buildings – which has been on the National Register of Historic Places since 1977 – could be in jeopardy.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2010/12/24/landmarks-future-up-in-the-air.html?sid=101

cc

The good thing about the mortgage crisis is that the next buyer will actually have money and be able to afford this building and its upkeep. There are a lot of projects/buildings rotting in Columbus due to unvetted developers with rose colored glasses and other people’s borrowed money. I feel sorry for the tenants and Long St.

revolutionist
    Participant

It’s in foreclosure? Any info on basic numbers for the building… I’m wondering specifically on how much the bank wants for it and how much the estimates are to get the building within code.

Walker wrote >>
    Landmark’s future ‘up in the air’
    Friday, December 24, 2010
    BY MARK FERENCHIK
    THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH
    The historic Atlas Building Downtown has been in trouble for a while. The 105-year-old building is in foreclosure. Its upper floors are vacant because of fire-code violations.
    Preservationists are worried that one of Columbus’ landmark buildings – which has been on the National Register of Historic Places since 1977 – could be in jeopardy.
    READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2010/12/24/landmarks-future-up-in-the-air.html?sid=101

Urbanboi

This makes me nervous,do you think its possible this building could be torn down? I love the bulding and hope someone can see the potential in this beautiful structure!

pez
    Participant

It started life as the Columbus Savings and Trust building. Absolutely a landmark worth saving.

From Dickerman’s Bankers and Merchants Journal:

The Columbus Savings and Trust Company, of Columbus, Ohio, has given out a contract for the construction of a 12-story building at the N. E. corner of High and Long streets. The building will be 62 feet by 188 feet and is to be absolutely fireproof. The exterior walls will be constructed of granite, terra cotta and brick. All interior walls and partitions will be of hollow tile and the floor construction will be of reinforced concrete material. All corridors, lavatories and the main lobby and entrance vestibules will be of marble for both floors and wainscoting. Oak finish throughout the offices with maple floors. The building will be equipped with seven elevators, complete refrigerating plant, and will have its own power plant to furnish electric lights for the offices and power for machinery used in the building. Direct steam heating will be used. A pneumatic clock system will be installed with dials on each floor. The banking room occupies the west half of the building, covering floor space about 62 by 90 feet, with a height of twenty-five feet. The building will provide accommodations for about three thousand persons, there being three hundred and fifty-eight offices, and also three large store rooms occupying the Long street half of the building. The building is to be completed July 14, 1905. The company on July 1 reported: Capital, $500,000; surplus and profits, $71,758; deposits, $1,824,892; resources, $2,701,716.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 82 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.