Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Artisan Vermouth is a thing now

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Artisan Vermouth is a thing now

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

I was just looking over the CU calendar and noticed that there is an Artisan Vermouth Tasting at Weilands tomorrow night.

I think I may have heard everything. Although, not that surprising after the recent artisan bitters trend. What will they ‘artisanize’ next?

On the bright side, I’ve always noted that the weak link in Martinis and Manhattans seems to be the vermouth. This could revolutionize my Manhattans.

El Diablo Einstein
    Participant

“What will they ‘artisanize’ next?”

After all that Vermouth you will need some of this.

countessbranca
    Participant

Vermouth actually started out as an “artisan” product. Though the particular product featured at Weiland’s is new to the market, one can easily find vermouths with a long history. Example: Carpano Antica (recipe dates to 1786) can take your Manhattans to the next level. It also happens to be quite delightful on its own.

But the best and worst vermouths taste equally disgusting if they’re not stored in the fridge and used up before they start to oxidize.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Water profile is important in brewing, so maybe changing the profile to make different types of ice cubes on a molecular level for your cocktail?

oh wait… that actually sounds like it could be a thing…

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

Vermouth actually started out as an “artisan” product. Though the particular product featured at Weiland’s is new to the market, one can easily find vermouths with a long history. Example: Carpano Antica (recipe dates to 1786) can take your Manhattans to the next level. It also happens to be quite delightful on its own.

But the best and worst vermouths taste equally disgusting if they’re not stored in the fridge and used up before they start to oxidize.

For years almost every party store carried the same two brands of cheap vermouth. I think part of the problem is that people use vermouth in small amounts in cocktails but it comes in large bottles. So you’d have to throw out 3/4 of the bottle every month to keep it fresh. Maybe it should come in smaller bottles?

On the other hand, if the vermouth tasted better, then maybe people would put more in the cocktails and it would be used up more quickly.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

Water profile is important in brewing, so maybe changing the profile to make different types of ice cubes on a molecular level for your cocktail?

oh wait… that actually sounds like it could be a thing…

I’m in, when does your Kickstarter go live? ;)

Lu
    Participant

I’ve been waiting for this. I was always so embarrassed my vermouths didn’t have compelling origin narratives I could share.

Friendoffacts
    Friendoffacts
    Participant

Artisan def. – (of food or drink) made in a traditional or non-mechanized way….

So, basically everything ever has artisanal origins.

Now, let’s just hope it’s local and sustainable too. Make it an urbanista trifecta…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION