Our City Online

Messageboard - Art & Artists

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Art Murals Being Removed at Ibiza Site?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Art & Artists Art Murals Being Removed at Ibiza Site?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 54 total)
  • Author

shmack

Sorry guys, this is my fault. I will go back and edit my original post.

NM, can’t edit… but for emphasis:

Chris Sherman said:
    let me be clear about this the SNBA was not complaining it was a handful of local business’. they have every right to their opinion. there is no bad blood between anyone. im just glad we were able to have the opportunity to showcase some murals from past urban scrawl and independence day festivals. seems like every time i drove by it was being used as photo backdrop for passerby’s.

artbomb112
    Participant

Bummer. This is my plan for Art al Fresco. I had kinda hoped that they would look like ninjas coming to make the murals…..

dru
    Participant

artbomb112 said:
    Bummer. This is my plan for Art al Fresco. I had kinda hoped that they would look like ninjas coming to make the murals…..

please let this be a real contribution to AaF. i want to see these little ninjas attacking the site.

artbomb112
    Participant

Oh.. this is real. I just wanted it to be with the murals.

cc

artbomb112 said:

cute

JayR

We should do something like this:

http://beforeidie.cc/%5B/url%5D

kingfish

Walker said:

Thanks for the clarification; missed it upstream.

Noticed that the murals are all but down this morning. I wish the handful of business owners could have been persuaded (perhaps by the SBNA?) to see the aesthetic value in the murals. It really added a lot of energy to that corner and genuinely made good on the ART in Arts District, not to mention completely spiked the Urbanity/Creative Class cred that makes the Short North compelling. I feel like this is just one more example of the Easton-ization of the Short North. I knew the area back in the 90s, and have lived there since 2006. It’s changed a lot in just these last 5 years, mainly in the direction of eateries, condos and boutiques, and the Ibiza murals were a nice tie back to the forces that helped lay the groundwork for the revival (artists/urbanistas).

Okay, I’ve rambled and repeated myself.

In summation: bummer.

ehill27
    Participant

Should “a handful of local business” be given the power to nix something that seems overwhelmingly appreciated by residents and visitors alike?

Coreroc

ehill27 said:
    Should “a handful of local business” be given the power to nix something that seems overwhelmingly appreciated by residents and visitors alike?

I feel this same way as I have had several business owners give me kudos and even have asked if there was a way to creat more artwork back towards where Artbombs installation for AaF will begin. Personally I have recieved way more positive comments and have yet to hear a negative comment to date. Short of Honavery stumbling by a little tipsy last time I painted joking about how it wasn’t art and carring on the CU thread live in the street. We shared a laugh and got back to work.

However I will shaddow the words of Chris Sherman in respect to how greatful I am to have had the opportunity to showcase my work so prolificly in the Short North. It was a fun ride and as time moves on more opportunities will come up and I see Columbus with much more comissioned public art in the very near future.

cyclist II
    Participant

I own a neighborhood business and even installed the murals.

Coreroc

They were overall very well recieved. I honestly think the fact that the one mural said “Always Gangster” in a very small portion ended up as the eye sore factor.

JayR

Perhaps that portion of the ,Uralic could have been painted over to something more appealing. Something like this that was so well received by the comity at large should have been taken up in a community meet rather than simply tore down.

JayR

That SHOULD read:

“Perhaps that portion of the mural could have been painted over to something more appealing. Something like this that was so well received by the community at large should have been taken up in a community meet rather than simply tore down.”

darn autocorrect…

Mr Man

Coreroc said:
    They were overall very well recieved. I honestly think the fact that the one mural said “Always Gangster” in a very small portion ended up as the eye sore factor.

Oh yes, the words “Always Gangster” next to a robot with a heart on its chest, that must’ve been it. Commence largest eye roll of the millenium.

I’m a customer of the Eyeworks, and I’m rather disappointed.

cc

I usually do not take part in this as most of my travels are in the dowtown area. Artbomb’s stuff looks pretty cutesy/ non-offensive, calming and hitting a wide audience, it would be nice to set up a some kind of similar gallery in the SN (ibiza lot) that would be non-offensive and would be approved by the SN businesses. Atleast some cool art would be getting through.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 54 total)

The forum ‘Art & Artists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION