Our City Online

Messageboard - Art & Artists

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Art Murals Being Removed at Ibiza Site?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Art & Artists Art Murals Being Removed at Ibiza Site?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)
  • Author

Roland
    Participant

The murals were better then the defaced giant man ass diving board poster previously on display. Which was only a slight improvement over the trashed lot.

Chris says there is something new lined up to for that corner. So I’m optimistic.

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

somertimeoh said:
    Is there a way to preserve them for better weathering/aging/general wear and tear before hanging them?

Mostly they were just weatherbeaten, but part of the problem was humans walking by, scribbling their names or ripping off pieces of paper that had been used in the design. Unfortunately I don’t think there’s any way to prevent that.

rory
    Participant

Chris Sherman said:
    i took the murals down this morning, the snba was not complaining it was the local business’ complaining. they were in shabby shape, we are repainting the corner sign for art al fresco. columbus eyeworks if you felt the need to explain it to people than thats a shame. you are in an “arts district”i think. i rehung them in franklinton this afternoon on b&t metals.

If you’re more comfortable explaining a bankruptcy/vacant lot instead of a piece of art you lose your arts district merit badge.

Chris Sherman
    Chris Sherman
    Participant

somertimeoh said:
    Is there a way to preserve them for better weathering/aging/general wear and tear before hanging them? A wood sealant or something? Or would that somehow cause damage to the piece itself?

there is we can use polycrylic, i didnt bother with those because i didnt think they would have been up as long. most of the paint used is interior so the need to seal them is important for outside display.

somertimeoh
    Participant

Chris Sherman said:
    there is we can use polycrylic, i didnt bother with those because i didnt think they would have been up as long. most of the paint used is interior so the need to seal them is important for outside display.

Yeah, that makes sense. I’ll help ya seal any time you have panels to be done. As long as I don’t have to wear a mask. I kid, I kid!! :)

Coreroc

DR said:
    Thank God! I was so tired of explaining to people that it was supposed to be a form of art. It just made the neighborhood look like a ghetto to visitors.

FAIL if you cannot explain those murals as art I believe you should immediately quit your job as Art’s District Tour Guide. Because you fucking suck at your job!

Coreroc

shmack said:
    The way it was explained to me: business owners in the Short North are complaining about the murals. It sounds like the complaints came from the Short North Business Association and has nothing to do with recent development plans.

That wall has been painted several times under the guidance and full support of the SNBA. I have had Diesha stop by while we were working and recieved awesome thanks for adding more ART to the district.

JimSweeney
    Participant

JimL2 said:
    Franklinton: The “Hand-Me-Down” Art District

Franklinton: The Short North’s Little Brother

Franklinton: The Next Time I Visit There Chris and Jim Sweeney Are Going to Beat Me Up

shoot.

jOHnH
    Participant

+1 on loving the wall of art over a hobo camp site. The suburbs might be better suited for someone who can’t explain it.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Keep it civil. No need for the insults.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Graffiti….?????…..

Anywho, Maybe the commission should just hurry up and get Schiff or Waggenbrenner to build something already. Hopefully, they can get some new graffi…I mean art up in the meantime.

Liner Notes
    Participant

It would be great to see an outdoor gallery show there. Put up some white walls and hang a group show for the next hop. Then paint new murals the next day.

kingfish

The Ibiza mural is the best thing about my neighborhood. It boggles my mind that anybody–let alone SNBA people–would want it gone. This is a joke, right?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

kingfish said:
    The Ibiza mural is the best thing about my neighborhood. It boggles my mind that anybody–let alone SNBA people–would want it gone. This is a joke, right?

Chris Sherman said:
    i took the murals down this morning, the snba was not complaining it was the local business’ complaining.

Chris Sherman
    Chris Sherman
    Participant

let me be clear about this the SNBA was not complaining it was a handful of local business’. they have every right to their opinion. there is no bad blood between anyone. im just glad we were able to have the opportunity to showcase some murals from past urban scrawl and independence day festivals. seems like every time i drove by it was being used as photo backdrop for passerby’s.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)

The forum ‘Art & Artists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: