Our City Online

Messageboard - Art & Artists

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Art Murals Being Removed at Ibiza Site?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Art & Artists Art Murals Being Removed at Ibiza Site?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)
  • Author

Roland
    Participant

I’ve seen some tweets reporting that the art on the fence surrounding the Ibiza site is being taken down. Does anyone have the story here?

I liked these. Does this means development at the location is about to move forward? Or something much more lame is taking place?

shmack

The way it was explained to me: business owners in the Short North are complaining about the murals. It sounds like the complaints came from the Short North Business Association and has nothing to do with recent development plans.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

$10 says it means some schlup complained about the “art” and we’ll be back to square one/homeless people litter box to stare at for the coming months/years.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

shmack said:
    The way it was explained to me: business owners in the Short North are complaining about the murals. It sounds like the complaints came from the Short North Business Association and has nothing to do with recent development plans.

SNBA FAIL!

DR
    Participant

Thank God! I was so tired of explaining to people that it was supposed to be a form of art. It just made the neighborhood look like a ghetto to visitors.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

DR said:
    Thank God! I was so tired of explaining to people that it was supposed to be a form of art. It just made the neighborhood look like a ghetto to visitors.

Columbus Eyeworks hates art, awesome.

How will you explain the shit pit to the visitors?

shmack

DR said:

now you can explain to them why there is a field of weeds and broken concrete.

dru
    Participant

DR said:

too bad, i was pleased to see visitors enjoying some sanctioned street art in the arts district i call home.

now we’re both left to explain to visitors why there is an empty weed filled lot full of empty cans and bottles.

DR said:

I quite enjoyed the murals there, but to each their own.

DR
    Participant

shmack said:
    now you can explain to them why there is a field of weeds and broken concrete.

Which is way more interesting than explaining graffiti on rotting wood.

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

Some of the murals were not aging particularly well, to be honest. The empty lot full of broken glass and “temporary” chainlink isn’t going to be much of an improvement, though… maybe we can just hang a tarp over the whole thing?

Chris Sherman
    Chris Sherman
    Participant

i took the murals down this morning, the snba was not complaining it was the local business’ complaining. they were in shabby shape, we are repainting the corner sign for art al fresco. columbus eyeworks if you felt the need to explain it to people than thats a shame. you are in an “arts district”i think. i rehung them in franklinton this afternoon on b&t metals.

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

Franklinton: The “Hand-Me-Down” Art District

Franklinton: The Short North’s Little Brother

Franklinton: The Next Time I Visit There Chris and Jim Sweeney Are Going to Beat Me Up

shmack

My bad. Shabby shape is still better than an overgrown weed filled lot with crap in it.

somertimeoh
    Participant

Chris Sherman said:
    i took the murals down this morning, the snba was not complaining it was the local business’ complaining. they were in shabby shape, we are repainting the corner sign for art al fresco. columbus eyeworks if you felt the need to explain it to people than thats a shame. you are in an “arts district”i think. i rehung them in franklinton this afternoon on b&t metals.

Is there a way to preserve them for better weathering/aging/general wear and tear before hanging them? A wood sealant or something? Or would that somehow cause damage to the piece itself?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)

The forum ‘Art & Artists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: