Our City Online

Messageboard - Columbus Festivals

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Arnold Sports Festival 2012

Home Forums Events Columbus Festivals Arnold Sports Festival 2012

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    rus
    rus
    Participant

Coremodels said:
    I guess he’s going home…

Thus the term “Euroweenie”.

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

You’re right, you win:

David>Rocky>Arnold

Maybe it’s just the speedos that freak me out…

leftovers

I don’t think there is any chicken in the Thurminator

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

Chicken is the only thing missing from the Thurminator I think. How many #’s of beef is on that thing? What a beast!

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

That picture doesn’t do it justice.

leftovers

I guess the egg could be considered a chicken that didn’t make it…

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

The Arnold more than deserves a statue in this city, as well as John Glenn and a few other folks. As for the Thurmanator, I just decided what I will reward myself with after running my first half marathon in May. Thanks for the inspiration.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Coremodels said:
    You pretty much lose me when suddenly Arnold shouldn’t be given a statue for his contributions to this city…which are huge…based on infidelity.

Unless you’re also in favor of demolishing every memorial to JFK in the country.

Speaking of which…what is it with Arnold and Columbus? What’s his attachment to Columbus, that makes him so interested and invested in it? I’ve always kind of wondered that.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Nick,

The Wall Street Journal story reported: “Mr. Schwarzenegger’s relationship with Columbus began in 1970, when Mr. Lorimer, a local sports promoter, persuaded the bodybuilding champion, then 23 years old, to travel to the city for the new Mr. World competition. Mr. Lorimer and Mr. Schwarzenegger became partners in promoting bodybuilding competitions.”

If there’s something beyond that, or something about Columbus that persuaded Schwarzenegger to continue bringing the festival to this city, I haven’t seen it reported.

Hope that helps.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

In the CMC breakfast, (I’m remembering here, please forgive me if this isn’t 100% correct) Arnold also talked about how he became great friends with Mr. Lorimer, who is based here in Columbus and was working with Nationwide Insurance. Mr. Lorimer was somewhat of a pioneer in the bodybuilding competition industry and wanted to hold Mr. Olympia contests here in Columbus. A council or something like that owns the rights to Mr. Olympia and sometimes they wanted to move the festival to different cities.

Mr. Lorimer and Arnold were becoming friends at that time and discussed having a festival that they owned the rights to. Arnold suggested using his own name for it so it couldn’t be taken away. The Arnold Sports Festival was born.

They spoke of the immense amount of volunteers that help out with the festival and the 150+ doctors and nurses that volunteer their time for the festival. They have not experienced such helpfulness anywhere else. They are so appreciative of that, that they love Columbus and the people here. They spoke of other cities offering upwards $1M, but can not come close to the generosity of the people of Columbus in volunteering.

And Arnold said he just really likes Columbus.

budser1228
    Participant

You’re forgetting that he is invested in Easton with Les Wexner which is why he brought the failed Planet Hollywood restaurant to Easton, and why he stops by Easton during the Arnold to check out how it is doing. That’s when you can see how much security he really has around him – when he is not surrounded by fans.

bruinswin

-Nick- said:
    I personally don’t care about her comments about the chicken and all that. I think that’s rather obvious.

I think it’s a negative image to push away the fitness people and basically admit you are a bunch of a fat lazy slobs and are just jealous of people that are fit in Florida and California. Basically, why she fears a common sense healthy lifestyle is beyond me. What’s that sign on the corner of Front and Broad say?…maybe we should take that down too.

People in Florida and California are “fit and healthy?” ARE YOU KIDDING ME ???

Ingesting thousands of pounds of clinically untested “mystery supplements” and putting in thousands of hours of tanning bed time / tanning in the outdoors is probably just as bad as being a morbidly obese Grove City hillbilly. Either way you’re still gonna die prematurely of something.

And everyone I know who’s lived in California tells me that the whole “fit and healthy lifestyle imagery” of California is a bunch of smoke and mirrors. You wanna see a state full of disgustingly obese and unhealthy people… ..move to California.

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

The forum ‘Columbus Festivals’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!